Canine Rehab Certification

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PTtobe11

UWPTStudent11
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I am currently a second year physical therapy student interested in potentially pursuing a career in canine rehabilitaion. I was curious if anyone has experience shadowing or working in a canine rehab setting. I am wondering about pros/cons that people have experienced as well as information of job outlook/salary. Also, if anyone has any suggestions on things I can do currently to be more successful going into this field, I would appreciate the tips! Thanks in advance for all your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! I am not a DVM but I think I can offer some advice. I am also interested in this career path. I have my bachelors degree and I have juggled the idea of going into PT school or DVM to break into the canine rehab field. I shadowed at a canine rehab clinic and it was amazing. The clinic I shadowed at was all veterinarians, and then the people who did the rehab (underwater treadmill, obstacles, etc.) were the RVTs that have been certified in canine rehab. I have reached out to several PTs as well to ask them about the field from their perspective. Some who live in a different state than me said the pay is just as good as human PT. A PT I reached out to in my state said that the pay is not as good and that she has to work with people on the side to earn a livable wage.

Here is what I worry about when choosing DPT rather than DVM to break into this field. You can do canine rehab as a DPT, DVM, but ALSO as PTA or RVT. Lets say you apply to a canine rehab job, but so does an RVT or a PTA. You both are qualified to do the job, but you have a doctorate and the other person has an associates. I worry they would hire the person with less school, so they can pay them less to do the same job. This is my main fear for the job security.

However, you are already in PT school so you are well on your way! I would advise you to reach out to as many people as you can, both DVMs and DPTs. Research clinics in your area that do canine rehab and ask if you can shadow. This is a growing field, and the laws vary by state. I would research the practice acts for your state for both PT and DVM. The best thing you can do right now though is shadow. You will see the field first hand and nothing is more valuable than the advice of people already working in that career.

Good luck!

The rehab person at my internship clinic was human PT trained. She is the director of all PT programs (even DVM-trained ones) for a major national veterinary corporation. She loved her job and clients loved her. She worked two days a week seeing patients and the rest traveling for speaking engagements/training or doing her director duties. I think she also has several extra certifications and a PhD in canine biomechanics or something. I can't answer most of your questions since PT wasn't something I had more than a passing interest in when my patients required it, but it's possible with the PT degree...I just don't know how much of a hurdle it is breaking into the vet field as a PT. The lady I worked with had a very different way of thinking about cases than the DVMs (nothing bad at all just a different perspective) and it was great to see how she approached things and why.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
PTtobe11, do you only want to work with canines or do you want to work with people too?

Thanks so much to everyone for their info and advice, it is very much appreciated. I do worry about breaking into the field as a PT since many state practice acts have specificities regarding DVM supervision and what PTs are allowed to do that is within their scope of practice. I'm in the process of setting up shadowing a canine rehab PT here on campus so I will update if I get any additional helpful information from her. You also make a great point about places wanting to hire certified PTAs or RVTs due to salary considerations. I feel that building relationships with DVMs and by bringing a different knowledge base that can be collaborated with may be beneficial and help to break into the field?

@Wildlifelover - I am planning on starting out working in human PT after graduation (I'm a sucker for the geriatric population). But ultimately animals are my true passion and I hope to get into the field of canine rehab sooner than later. I also have heard of a PT who does canine rehab most of the week and then has a human PT PRN/pool position which I think would be the ideal situation :)

@PTtobe11 I think doing human PT PRN and doing canine rehab most days would be ideal as well. You have a canine rehab PT at your PT school? Do you mind sharing what school you are at? I understand if you would rather that be anonymous. I am just trying to gather all the information I can about this niche. I may very well go the DPT route as well and try doing both people and animals (but primarily animals). I guess my fears of not having a high enough demand for PTs in the canine rehab field is what holds me back. You can make extra on the side working with humans if the canine rehab doesn't pay as well. I am just concerned with the ability to find and land a job in that niche as well.

@PTtobe11 I think doing human PT PRN and doing canine rehab most days would be ideal as well. You have a canine rehab PT at your PT school? Do you mind sharing what school you are at? I understand if you would rather that be anonymous. I am just trying to gather all the information I can about this niche. I may very well go the DPT route as well and try doing both people and animals (but primarily animals). I guess my fears of not having a high enough demand for PTs in the canine rehab field is what holds me back. You can make extra on the side working with humans if the canine rehab doesn't pay as well. I am just concerned with the ability to find and land a job in that niche as well.

I am a student at UW-Madison and the canine PT here works with the vet school but is very open to having students shadow. She is a graduate of the DPT program here as well. I have not yet been able to shadow her one on one due to her having some more aggressive dogs on her schedule, however I was able to go hear her speak with a group of my classmates. One thing she said was a challenge is that she has to be supervised by a DVM directly and isn't allowed to call what she does 'physical therapy' as the WI state PT practice act limits this term to work with human patients, so she sticks with 'rehab' as her term of use. She seems to really enjoy what she does and also states she is very busy and that people travel to see her from other states. However, with that being said, UW-Madison is a well known institute and working with the vet school also helps increase her clientele. She has also had the opportunity to treat other animals such as cows, donkeys, and cats which I also thought was pretty cool :)

I am a student at UW-Madison and the canine PT here works with the vet school but is very open to having students shadow. She is a graduate of the DPT program here as well. I have not yet been able to shadow her one on one due to her having some more aggressive dogs on her schedule, however I was able to go hear her speak with a group of my classmates. One thing she said was a challenge is that she has to be supervised by a DVM directly and isn't allowed to call what she does 'physical therapy' as the WI state PT practice act limits this term to work with human patients, so she sticks with 'rehab' as her term of use. She seems to really enjoy what she does and also states she is very busy and that people travel to see her from other states. However, with that being said, UW-Madison is a well known institute and working with the vet school also helps increase her clientele. She has also had the opportunity to treat other animals such as cows, donkeys, and cats which I also thought was pretty cool :)

That is awesome! I think this field is truly expanding which in my opinion is a great thing. Thanks for sharing! If you ever get anymore useful information please message me. I will do the same for you!