Cannabinoid hyperemesis syndrome

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cdmguy

Ex-DC CNIM CDM
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
A mysterious marijuana-related illness is popping up with increasing frequency in hospital emergency rooms, particularly in states where cannabis is now legal.

The symptoms are severe abdominal pain and violent vomiting - and most doctors are initially stumped when they encounter patients with the problem.

The illness is cannabinoid hyperemesis syndrome, which is linked to heavy, long-term use of marijuana, according to experts. For some reason, the nausea and vomiting of CHS can be relieved with hot showers or baths, which can serve as an important hint for physicians trying to diagnose a patient.

Since 2009, when the federal government relaxed its stance on medical marijuana, emergency room diagnoses for CHS in two of Colorado's hospitals nearly doubled, according to a study co-authored by Dr. Kennon Heard, a physician at the University of Colorado Hospital in Aurora. Now that cannabis is also legal for recreational use in the state, "we are seeing it quite frequently," Heard told CBS News. "My colleagues are seeing this on a daily to weekly basis."

https://www.zerocensorship.com/unce...ted-illness-popping-up-emergency-rooms-379587

Members don't see this ad.

Gonna go right ahead and move this to Topics in Healthcare because this has literally nothing to do with pre-allo

Saw this in a patient recently. GI was consulted and mentioned this, which was something new to me. Looks like it's a thing. Will be interesting to see what happens in the future as more states legalize weed.

Members don't see this ad :)
I work in state with legal MJ use and see a case about once/week. most of them respond well to Haldol.

A mysterious marijuana-related illness is popping up with increasing frequency in hospital emergency rooms, particularly in states where cannabis is now legal.

The symptoms are severe abdominal pain and violent vomiting - and most doctors are initially stumped when they encounter patients with the problem.

The illness is cannabinoid hyperemesis syndrome, which is linked to heavy, long-term use of marijuana, according to experts. For some reason, the nausea and vomiting of CHS can be relieved with hot showers or baths, which can serve as an important hint for physicians trying to diagnose a patient.

Since 2009, when the federal government relaxed its stance on medical marijuana, emergency room diagnoses for CHS in two of Colorado's hospitals nearly doubled, according to a study co-authored by Dr. Kennon Heard, a physician at the University of Colorado Hospital in Aurora. Now that cannabis is also legal for recreational use in the state, "we are seeing it quite frequently," Heard told CBS News. "My colleagues are seeing this on a daily to weekly basis."

https://www.zerocensorship.com/unce...ted-illness-popping-up-emergency-rooms-379587

So you're saying I can spritz patients with warm saline?

I guess that with chronic cannabis use some toxin accumulates and stimulates chemoreceptors in the area postrema.

We see it frequently. Haldol is a good agent.

This is crazy, have you guys noticed any associated medications or conditions with the presented patients?...