Cannabis use in practice.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ivory4life

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This will be the most I've opened up in awhile. Good and negative comments are fine by me. So here's the deal:
Im a pre-med , however I am in my mid-20s and have been smoking cannabis for most of the last 10 years.I tried to be enlist after graduating and failed a physical. When I started college, I was majoring in art and then nursing (working in an extensive care nursing facility for a couple of years talked me into it.) I started to take interest in psychology before I was unable to attend school for a short period of time. I love medicine because it is the appropriate blend of art and science that I need in my life. all of my courses were not at university level, Ive been pinching pennies all my life..but back to cannabis, the good stuff . I have attention problems and though I can be successful on my own, weed has severely increased the quality of my life. I do not believe cannabis is for everybody; I have also watched myself develop as a person while smoking and I think that stands for something in how I carry myself when I smoke. If I am able to smoke a good strain and study, I learn the information with a better understanding everytime.
Since I am young in the pre-med game, I have some questions.
Naturally, I was interested in the HealthProfessionsScholarship for the military. Is weed more important than my career?no. Is the quality of my life more important than my career?yes.
Hospitals often drug test employees, meaning I would have to stop for residency, but what about medical school?
Please let me know your thoughts, comments and concerns!

Members don't see this ad.

Some current med students might want to chime in, but I know at my state's med schools, all 3rd and 4th year students get drug tested since you are in clinical rotations

Reactions: 1 user
about me: I am completely capable without smoking first off, and I dont see it as a crutch.
Right now I live in a van that I converted to be functional as a full-time home. I have running water, generate my own electricity, have a nice sized bed, study area, cooking area and closet... all mobile. I am saving about 15,000 a year in rent since doing this and havent really made any sacrifices. I have to shower at my gym, etc. I get to work less which leaves me time to study more. I am doing all of this so I can study more. That is the passion I am building for medicine. A pothead who lives in a van, original, right?

Members don't see this ad :)
This will be the most I've opened up in awhile. Good and negative comments are fine by me. So here's the deal:
Im a pre-med , however I am in my mid-20s and have been smoking cannabis for most of the last 10 years.I tried to be enlist after graduating and failed a physical. When I started college, I was majoring in art and then nursing (working in an extensive care nursing facility for a couple of years talked me into it.) I started to take interest in psychology before I was unable to attend school for a short period of time. I love medicine because it is the appropriate blend of art and science that I need in my life. all of my courses were not at university level, Ive been pinching pennies all my life..but back to cannabis, the good stuff . I have attention problems and though I can be successful on my own, weed has severely increased the quality of my life. I do not believe cannabis is for everybody; I have also watched myself develop as a person while smoking and I think that stands for something in how I carry myself when I smoke. If I am able to smoke a good strain and study, I learn the information with a better understanding everytime.
Since I am young in the pre-med game, I have some questions.
Naturally, I was interested in the HealthProfessionsScholarship for the military. Is weed more important than my career?no. Is the quality of my life more important than my career?yes.
Hospitals often drug test employees, meaning I would have to stop for residency, but what about medical school?
Please let me know your thoughts, comments and concerns!

Firstly, it's very humbling to hear the sacrifices you are putting in right now.

Do you have a medical license to purchase marijuana? Have you been evaluated by a PsyD. and/or Psychiatrist to evaluate your cognitive abilities? If you are evaluated, perhaps you can ask to see if they can prescribe you something similar.

You need to prove both to medical schools and yourself that 1) you can perform well at the university level and 2) that you will not veer off track. Pick a major and stick with that major and most importantly, perform WELL. If that means cutting your expenditures for weed to pay for university level courses then so be it, the proof is in your performance and willingness to sacrifice.

Lastly, I'm a bit concerned about your reasoning for pursuing medicine (not saying you're wrong). Yes, medicine is "science and art" in the most ambiguous form, but there's a lot more behind medicine. Have you shadowed physicians and realized that parts of this job are really, really frustrating? If you have, how will you cope with your reliance on medical marijuana? It's nerve-racking to hear that you performance has a high chance of faltering if you are not using marijuana.

Also be aware that there are new policy movements which may require physicians to be randomly drug screened and/or screened after mishaps.

Some current med students might want to chime in, but I know at my state's med schools, all 3rd and 4th year students get drug tested since you are in clinical rotations
make sense to me. The only ms's I know are in India.

If you've never been criminally charged because of drug usage then I do not believe medical schools will know that you are chronic user of marijuana.

Do you have a medical license to purchase marijuana? Have you been evaluated by a PsyD. and/or Psychiatrist to evaluate your cognitive abilities? If you are evaluated, perhaps you can ask to see if they can prescribe you something similar.

You need to prove both to medical schools and yourself that 1) you can perform well at the university level and 2) that you will not veer off track. Pick a major and stick with that major and most importantly, perform WELL. If that means cutting your expenditures for week to pay for university level courses then so be it, the proof is in your performance and willingness to sacrifice.

Lastly, I'm a bit concerned about your reasoning for pursuing medicine (not saying you're wrong). Yes, medicine is "science and art" in the most ambiguous form, but there's a lot more behind medicine. Have you shadowed physicians and realized that parts of this job are really, really frustrating? If you have, how will you cope with your reliance on medical marijuana? It's nerve-racking to hear that you performance has a high chance of faltering if you are not using marijuana.

Also be aware that there are new policy movements which may require physicians to be randomly drug screened and/or screened after mishaps.
I have shadowed for about 100 hours. I dont think you picked up what I was putting down. . .

Another thing worth mentioning is I have heard of medical schools being weary of accepting those who have add or adhd. My cognitive abilities have been evaluated and I do not function on prescription CNS stimulants.
Also, any input on mmj and politics concerning healthcare is welcomed here.

Are you wanting to practice military medicine after med school? You'll have to give it up during that time as well.

I didn't get tested when I first started school. Some rotation sites during 3rd and 4th year tested for drugs. I was also tested when I first started residency. FYI, certain specialities, like anesthesia, get tested more frequently than others.

Last edited:
Some schools require a drug test for matriculation as well.

Reactions: 2 users
Oh no? Then please elaborate how my advice was incorrect so I may provide better advice.
performance has no chance of faltering if I am not using marijuana. I enjoyed your advice overall.

Are you wanting to practice military medicine after med school? You'll have to give it up during that time as well.
I will practice military medicine more than likely, anyway. I just take strong interest in exploring the opportunities. . .

Members don't see this ad :)
I will practice military medicine more than likely, anyway. I just take strong interest in exploring the opportunities. . .

If you are planning on going into the military, cannabis use and military service is incompatible. Even if you are stationed in a state where it is legal, it is still against federal law. Military servicemembers are prohibited from utilizing anything with THC, synthetic or otherwise. Once you enter into the military, you are subject to drug testing through your unit.

If you are planning on going into the military, cannabis use and military service is incompatible. Even if you are stationed in a state where it is legal, it is still against federal law. Military servicemembers are prohibited from utilizing anything with THC, synthetic or otherwise. Once you enter into the military, you are subject to drug testing through your unit.
I completely understand all of that, My family is a military one.

weed-30094767.jpg

How I imagine OP

Reactions: 11 users
Bro...give it up. I don't want to get into a debate on the topic...because the debate is irrelevant. What is relevant is that pot is still illegal in most states...and business (including med schools, residencies, and the military) have the right to set their own company policies in even states where it is legal. In the military any agent used for the intent to get high is illegal (anywhere in the world). They will kick your butt out.

There is just way too much at stake to do the stuff.

Good luck finding a hospital to rotate in.

Regardless of how you feel about cannabis, a positive drug test could get you expelled from school, kicked out of your residency or make you lose your medical license. I would imagine the repercussions are even greater in military medicine.

I'm also a long time smoker. Will probably continue to use after becoming a physician. But really, there's a time and a place. Will I smoke during rotations/if random drug tests are possible? No.

But when I'm free and clear and able to smoke, I will. Of course, for me, this means in the evening, just as another person would have a beer or glass of wine with dinner...I'll have a bong rip. Don't let it interfere with your life/work as a physician and I see no problem with it. Make sure you don't smoke when you are getting tested and things should be fine for you.

I'm also a long time smoker. Will probably continue to use after becoming a physician. But really, there's a time and a place. Will I smoke during rotations/if random drug tests are possible? No.

But when I'm free and clear and able to smoke, I will. Of course, for me, this means in the evening, just as another person would have a beer or glass of wine with dinner...I'll have a bong rip. Don't let it interfere with your life/work as a physician and I see no problem with it. Make sure you don't smoke when you are getting tested and things should be fine for you.
I forsee myself putting down ganja shortly after starting medical school, and most def reducing my intake when starting. I run a tight ship now as to when I toke, I even have it marked on my daily planners. How long do you forsee yourself being tested? So far Ive gathered (minimally):MS3 and MS4 for rotation purposes, residencies and fellowships if I were to go that route.

Regardless of how you feel about cannabis, a positive drug test could get you expelled from school, kicked out of your residency or make you lose your medical license. I would imagine the repercussions are even greater in military medicine.
you are subject to court-martialed if in active or reserve duty! That's why you see alot of enlisted and even some commissioned partaking in that synthetic MJ. I hope they have fun having a seizure!

I forsee myself putting down ganja shortly after starting medical school, and most def reducing my intake when starting. I run a tight ship now as to when I toke, I even have it marked on my daily planners. How long do you forsee yourself being tested? So far Ive gathered (minimally):MS3 and MS4 for rotation purposes, residencies and fellowships if I were to go that route.

Make a list of pros and cons and see if the pros justify the risks ortnakas shared with you. For instance, are you willing to go through the application process, interview, schooling, and hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt to suddenly have your hard work go up in smoke because of a mishap on when/where you got your cannabis fix?

If I were in your shoes and really wanted to practice medicine, I would kiss cannabis farewell and never look back. Any benefits from smocking are dwarfed by the potential legal and professional hazards it can cause.

Make a list of pros and cons and see if the pros justify the risks ortnakas shared with you. For instance, are you willing to go through the application process, interview, schooling, and hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt to suddenly have your hard work go up in smoke because of a mishap on when/where you got your cannabis fix?

If I were in your shoes and really wanted to practice medicine, I would kiss cannabis farewell and never look back. Any benefits from smocking are dwarfed by the potential legal and professional hazards it can cause.
You just did a great job detailing why its so stupid its illegal in the first place.

OP I recommend you go to school at RVU

really though...you see docs with DUI's and other issues all the time who don't lose their medical license. I highly doubt an attending would lose his license if caught with a joint or failing a (random?) drug test..

really though...you see docs with DUI's and other issues all the time who don't lose their medical license. I highly doubt an attending would lose his license if caught with a joint or failing a (random?) drug test..
controversy and politics. I dont think I would risk it for the biscuit, but that is something to keep in mind.

You just did a great job detailing why its so stupid its illegal in the first place.

Could you clarify? Your argument here reads that it should be illegal because as things currently stand you could get in trouble for using it because it's illegal...?

Could you clarify? Your argument here reads that it should be illegal because as things currently stand you could get in trouble for using it because it's illegal...?
I'm saying that its stupid its illegal. Someone's life could be ruined by smoking a drug that isn't even as harmful as legal drugs. How does that make sense

Reactions: 1 users
I'm saying that its stupid its illegal. Someone's life could be ruined by smoking a drug that isn't even as harmful as legal drugs. How does that make sense
We are very much in agreement. Couldn't tell if it was cannabis or its legal status you were referring to as stupid.

Reactions: 1 users
Wait, are people actually taking some stoner dude who lives in a van seriously?

Reactions: 5 users
I don't know how many do it but it is very possible. However, I think he got this idea from the following:
Living in a VAN to Pay for School?!:

Marijuana being illegal is dumb, but it's still illegal. It would also be very dumb to continue doing something illegal if it will put your future in jeopardy and leave you at the bottom of a nice big hole of school loan debt you'll eventually dig for yourself.

If marijuana is your answer to real problems with concentration and quality of life, maybe it's time to stop self-medicating and actually see a doctor that might be able to prescribe something. And if you get into med school you'll probably have student health insurance, so the drugs will be cheaper too. Yay!

I know an entire community of van-dwellers all across America. Some are in it to travel, some to save money. The most interesting, inspirational and down to earth people I have met in my life lived in vans,box trucks or buses. Hell, I know a guy living in a 737 Jet! I am living in my van by choice, to aid in achieving what I want in life and I wont lose sleep if you dont accept what I preach.

I know an entire community of van-dwellers all across America. Some are in it to travel, some to save money. The most interesting, inspirational and down to earth people I have met in my life lived in vans,box trucks or buses. Hell, I know a guy living in a 737 Jet! I am living in my van by choice, to aid in achieving what I want in life and I wont lose sleep if you dont accept what I preach.

Quick question: do you just park in one of those overnight lots (park and ride I believe?). This is pretty cool though!

Quick question: do you just park in one of those overnight lots (park and ride I believe?). This is pretty cool though!
No, I do something called urban camping. I have "safe spots" marked all over town. the people know what im doing there. I retain all my used water, etc. and no light shines thru the windows at night with all the lights on. I travel via motorbike usually during the week to commute and move my van a few times a week or just drive it where im going. This is how I essentially eliminated fuel cost and rent cost simultaneously.

No, I do something called urban camping. I have "safe spots" marked all over town. the people know what im doing there. I retain all my used water, etc. and no light shines thru the windows at night with all the lights on. I travel via motorbike usually during the week to commute and move my van a few times a week or just drive it where im going. This is how I essentially eliminated fuel cost and rent cost simultaneously.
Pretty scummy, no offense.

Reactions: 2 users
None taken. When you find yourself truly happy with what you are doing, you have to say to hell with everyone's opinion.

On the topic at RVU & UC and their affiliated hospitals, are they allowed to take action against someone who is using marijuana? Since it's rec legal, I am sincerely curious.

On the topic at RVU & UC and their affiliated hospitals, are they allowed to take action against someone who is using marijuana? Since it's rec legal, I am sincerely curious.

Substitute marijuana for alcohol

I just went to job orientation for a new job and I'm pretty sure UC is quite stringent on substance use while working.

I'd die with laughter if you said no to that question. HAHAHA

It was a weird question to begin with!

Idk man stoner logic I guess.

I own all pictures of the internet and no one shall use them muhaha

HAHAHAHA could you imagine? DoctorSynthesis: gatekeeper of all avatars.
I like that idea. Everyone take down you're avatars until you have gained approval from me.

While you're at it kiss my ring.

Interesting thread. Pointless, but interesting.

A career in medicine doesn't offer you a time to be "...free and clear and able to smoke..." Someone PLEASE correct me if I am wrong.

Reactions: 3 users