Cannot get a EM rotation until Sept-Oct. Can I even match?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yossarian Lives

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a USMD in the midwest going into EM. My school does not have a home EM rotation. I've only been able to secure one away rotation that ends a few days after ERAS opens. I don't know how long it takes them to write a SLOE, but best case scenario it will be several weeks after everyone else.

I had a 3rd year EM elective that was P/F
My stats are Step 1: low-mid 230s
Step 2: Pending
3rd year: Mostly HP, some H

Do I even have a chance of matching with one SLOE pending and no other SLOE?

Members don't see this ad.

Well, consensus position in the EM community is students should only have one SLOE and PDs should consider applicants with 0 SLOEs. So you should be fine if you get a SLOE. ERAS is opening late this year as well, which will work in your favor.

I'm a USMD in the midwest going into EM. My school does not have a home EM rotation. I've only been able to secure one away rotation that ends a few days after ERAS opens. I don't know how long it takes them to write a SLOE, but best case scenario it will be several weeks after everyone else.

I had a 3rd year EM elective that was P/F
My stats are Step 1: low-mid 230s
Step 2: Pending
3rd year: Mostly HP, some H

Do I even have a chance of matching with one SLOE pending and no other SLOE?

Your rotation will be done and over before ERAS even opens for programs. You'll be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your rotation will be done and over before ERAS even opens for programs. You'll be fine.

Sorry, I didn't give dates. It actually ends a week after ERAS opens for programs to review. I know that's only a week, but I don't know how long SLOEs take to complete so it could be even longer until programs can review me.

Am I way off in being concerned, or will a delay of a few weeks hurt me? Thank you in advance.

Sorry, I didn't give dates. It actually ends a week after ERAS opens for programs to review. I know that's only a week, but I don't know how long SLOEs take to complete so it could be even longer until programs can review me.

Am I way off in being concerned, or will a delay of a few weeks hurt me? Thank you in advance.

It's less than ideal but I doubt it hurts you. To be honest, it takes a month or two to get through applications to decide on who all to interview. Its why invites still come out in November despite it opening in mid-Sept. Its a long rolling process.

It takes like 15 minutes to write a SLOE. Considering the importance of the timeframe, I would hope the program would do you the favor of writing and uploading one for you ASAP.

Reactions: 1 user
It's less than ideal but I doubt it hurts you. To be honest, it takes a month or two to get through applications to decide on who all to interview. Its why invites still come out in November despite it opening in mid-Sept. Its a long rolling process.

It takes like 15 minutes to write a SLOE. Considering the importance of the timeframe, I would hope the program would do you the favor of writing and uploading one for you ASAP.

Thank you for the quick response. I know I'm not the only one scrambling to make this year work out. I just want to make sure I have a job next year in this field. You've helped calm me down. Thank you.

Hi,
I'm the EM PD at Orange Park (FL). I'll note first that I've posted this in reply to a few people, so you might see almost the exact same thing elsewhere. We are setting up (believe first group starts in early July) a 'virtual rotation' to help students get a better sense of our program / programs like ours since so many won't know what a 'community' program is like. It will also help give some focused curriculum in EM since you wouldn't be getting the typical 2-4 months of EM associated 4th year time.

While it certainly isn't the same as being able to see us in person as an audition, its something we are trying to help in light of the situation. Its a mix of participating real-time but virtually in our didactics, doing an online curriculum in EM and US, interacting with our residents / faculty / leadership, etc...

If your interested I have one of my APDs ([email protected]) focusing on it since its so intensive to start up something new like that. I'm sure there will be kinks, but it should give you something to go off of, and will give you a curriculum in EM and US to work on so you can shine on the next rotation(s). We have it planned for a traditional LOR instead of a SLOE since we wouldn't have clinical contact with the virtual rotation.

For someone without a 'home' EM program we are still taking people for that as well, but of note, that is intended for someone without a program to rotate / explore in as we are trying to follow the current recommendations of organizations as well but recognize some places don't have a 'home' program.

Feel free to contact her or me ([email protected]) about any questions or if we can be of help,
Thanks

If anyone is looking for auditions, the UPMC Hamot program in Erie, PA has openings. Contact [email protected] if you're interested.