Can't afford to get my transcript released, what can I do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pineapplebrain

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
When I was 18 I stupidly enrolled at a university when I knew I couldn't afford it. I ended up withdrawing after 3 weeks, but I had taken out an emergency loan for my tuition so I was on the hook for the entire amount. Fast forward to a few more years of reckless spending and I am now working on paying off all of my past debts.

My problem is that I still haven't paid off that emergency loan and the school will not release my transcript until it is paid off in full. I can't afford to do so before October 1st when I plan to submit (late, I know!). The transcript consists of 4 W's from about 8 years ago.

Can anyone advise me on my options here? Do I basically have to wait until I can pay for this transcript before applying, or is there something else I can do?

Members don't see this ad.

Do they have to be official transcripts? My school has an online transcript thing and I am able to print my transcripts from it, but it is unofficial.

Probably best to ask an administrator at the university, I can't even see my own transcript because I owe $0.05 from spring term...

Members don't see this ad :)
When I was 18 I stupidly enrolled at a university when I knew I couldn't afford it. I ended up withdrawing after 3 weeks, but I had taken out an emergency loan for my tuition so I was on the hook for the entire amount. Fast forward to a few more years of reckless spending and I am now working on paying off all of my past debts.
It looks you slept longer than Cinderella.

Maybe you don't have to submit it? I don't know how strict they are on that policy.

My problem is that I still haven't paid off that emergency loan and the school will not release my transcript until it is paid off in full. I can't afford to do so before October 1st when I plan to submit (late, I know!). The transcript consists of 4 W's from about 8 years ago.

Can anyone advise me on my options here? Do I basically have to wait until I can pay for this transcript before applying, or is there something else I can do?[/QUOTE

I don't get what's with senior members being completely unhelpful. Why even post? Does it make you feel better to point out an obvious an problem? Nice little ego stroke? Obviously the poster knows this is a problem and they are dealing with the consequences. I don't know the solution so normally I wouldn't even post, but seeing your responses and basically troll posts pissed me off. I know it might be very hard for you but next time why not just refrain from posting unless you have something constructive to say.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
At least he is the beauty, and you are the beast.
You need to have a few "beasts" around to appreciate the beauties/super studs. Shrek didn't do so bad for himself, did he?

I don't get what's with senior members being completely unhelpful. Why even post? Does it make you feel better to point out an obvious an problem? Nice little ego stroke? Obviously the poster knows this is a problem and they are dealing with the consequences. I don't know the solution so normally I wouldn't even post, but seeing your responses and basically troll posts pissed me off. I know it might be very hard for you but next time why not just refrain from posting unless you have something constructive to say.

It is hard to have much sympathy for a person who, by his own admission was:
1. reckless in his/her financial affairs.
2. knows exactly how to resolve his/her financial issues and
3. is only looking for a fast/easy way to circumvent the system/financial responsibility
But you are right. The posts should be more like yours.

You need to have a few "beasts" around to appreciate the beauties/super studs. Shrek didn't do so bad for himself, did he?

It is hard to have much sympathy for a person who, by his own admission was:
1. reckless in his/her financial affairs.
2. knows exactly how to resolve his/her financial issues and
3. is only looking for a fast/easy way to circumvent the system/financial responsibility
But you are right. The posts should be more like yours.

I didnt see the OP asking for any sympathy, just advice. And if for some reason you think he is trying to avoid financial responsibility (which there is no indication of), then you could not post or you could express how irresponsible OP is being by (in your opinion) trying to avoid financial responsibility. Either would be better than a troll post.

Can anyone advise me on my options here? Do I basically have to wait until I can pay for this transcript before applying, or is there something else I can do?

Let me know where he indicates he is going to avoid paying. All he is asking is if he has to wait until after October 1st (when he can pay)

Last edited:
Let me know where he indicates he is going to avoid paying. All he is asking is if he has to wait until after October 1st (when he can pay)
And that is such a difficult question to answer.
(BTW: the check is in the mail.)

Thanks for this. As a first time poster I was hesitant to even start a thread because I notice these types of negative responses from certain members so frequently. I made a mistake in my youth, am working on repairing those mistakes as an adult, and hoping for some insight from people more experienced at this process than I am. It is disappointing to see that become the butt of a joke.