Can't break into the A ranges

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TexasSurgeon

I don't pay state taxes
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I hope it's been going well for you all. I guess I just wanted to get ideas from those who have been doing well in preclinical courses as to what they do that stands them out from the B/C students? I've been more of a solid B student so far and I wan't to make that change. But it seems like no matter what I do, it's always not enough or the right approach. Thoughts?

As always, I appreciate your time.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey everyone,

I hope it's been going well for you all. I guess I just wanted to get ideas from those who have been doing well in preclinical courses as to what they do that stands them out from the B/C students? I've been more of a solid B student so far and I wan't to make that change. But it seems like no matter what I do, it's always not enough or the right approach. Thoughts?

As always, I appreciate your time.

I actually have had this same issue. I’ve had the occasional 92-94% but mostly high B’s. I’m curious how a handful of people in my class pull off the top scores.

I started off medical school scoring pretty low on my first test (below average) Since then, I've done a few things to pull my grades above average and into the A range. I'm still trying to pull myself into the high A range but this is what I've done so far to get into the low A range.

1. Set a schedule. I schedule pretty much every aspect of my day. It might sound extreme but it keeps me on track.
2 Anki. I took the plunge and started making Anki a bigger part of my routine and it definitely increased my grades.
3. Practice Questions. I do pretty much every practice question that I can get my hands on.
4. Active studying. For me, reading a textbook or watching a lecture is passive. I watch the lectures on 2x speed and try to focus my time on active learning (concept maps, quizzing myself, etc.)

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Flashcards and practice questions. Also some people are just better test takers/insane memory, especially those at the very top. Make sure you have realistic goals or you will get burned out

Reactions: 5 users
A big thing is how the tests are designed. At least at my school, I figured out that there are enough "easy"/straightforward questions that everyone should get right and that'll get you a passing grade. Then you've got a smaller amount of discriminating questions to get you to high pass, and then a smaller set to the >90% range. The harder questions usually fall into multi-order or minutiae questions. In my experience, getting these right involves a keen ear when going to/watching lectures and picking up on what tiny detail the professor likes and wants you to know. I know that's not a definitive answer, but it's what I remember. That and doing a bunch of questions!

Students who pull off A averages tend to have impressive memories and higher IQ's. Sometimes no amount of hard work can result in catching up to them, especially because everyone in med school is working their butt off. But hey, getting B averages in med school is still impressive, so don't cut yourself short!!

Students who pull off A averages tend to have impressive memories and higher IQ's. Sometimes no amount of hard work can result in catching up to them, especially because everyone in med school is working their butt off. But hey, getting B averages in med school is still impressive, so don't cut yourself short!!
If you are smart enough to get into a decent medical school you are smart enough to get an A in the tests.

Reactions: 7 users
If you are smart enough to get into a decent medical school you are smart enough to get an A in the tests.

I think that true in theory, but I've seen a lot of students who weren't able to break into the A category no matter the amount of studying, revising, and tutoring. Doesn't make them a bad doctor, and you don't need to be an A student to be a good doctor. But at the end of the day, getting A's requires to memorize and apply information at an amazing rate.

Reactions: 1 user
I think that true in theory, but I've seen a lot of students who weren't able to break into the A category no matter the amount of studying, revising, and tutoring. Doesn't make them a bad doctor, and you don't need to be an A student to be a good doctor. But at the end of the day, getting A's requires to memorize and apply information at an amazing rate.
Your logic very much depends on what school/what curriculum you're talking about. My school's exams are easy as pie and anyone can score a 100; your score is very dependent on the amount of work you put into preparing throughout the unit. I'm sure other schools are different, but at mine, you don't need to be of the higher intelligence/higher memory capacity set to pull the 100s. You literally just need to study harder/more/longer/better

Reactions: 1 users
I disagree. More average students like myself are capable of scoring in the A range with their more intelligent counterparts with sheer, brute force. Like a poster mentioned above, it is done with meticulous planning, research / implementation of effective study strategies, and time management. Thinking that no amount of hard work will help one catch up to their more intelligent peers is a terrible way to think. Sure if our higher IQ peers chose to study the same way as I or other well-regimented students they'd obviously do better.. but if I or anybody for that matter, use my time more wisely and study more effectively, yes, it is indeed possible to level out the playing field.

lmfao IQ again. It's mostly the memory component of IQ that matters for faculty made exams. Photographic memory and anything close to it matters the most for the tippy top scorers. But you can definitely get As with more organized studying. This isn't continental philosophy or theoretical physics. Lol multiorder questions. That just means memorizing facts in sequence

I was Mr. 89% during M1-2. So I'd beat the class average significantly, but end up with the same score on my transcript as someone who passed by a single point.

In hindsight, I'd have been better off at a school with a cutthroat z-score grading system like Wayne State.
In greater hindsight, none of that really mattered.

I was Mr. 89% during M1-2. So I'd beat the class average significantly, but end up with the same score on my transcript as someone who passed by a single point.

In hindsight, I'd have been better off at a school with a cutthroat z-score grading system like Wayne State.
In greater hindsight, none of that really mattered.
Ignorant af but what's a z score grading system? Just a way to put everyone on the line? Also, don't think they do that anymore. Supposedly .

Use the best resources (pathoma, etc) to nail down the highest yield stuff and then review the stupid lecture slides to remember the details a few days before the exam. Make sure to do questions but this most likely wont help you with the stupid details.