Cant decide on what to do!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chungblam

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am split between PT school in Canada, Med school anywhere that I can get in, or Podiatry school in the states. My gpa is decent......84% avg so far, just finished 2nd year of undergrad Kin program in Ontario, and okay EC's....volunteering in ER, aboard in foreign country for 2 weeks.....going to work in profs lab coming year....I am in coop program so I have plenty of paid work experience. I just did the MCAT....scores not out yet but the max I will probably get is 30.

My dream job have always been working with athletes, this might sound stupid but I have always wanted to be the team doctor/physio/trainer that rushes out on to the field when an athlete gets injured. I also want to do orthopedic surgeries with athletes, kinda like Dr. James Andrews. The reason I am considering podiatry is it will give me a chance to perform surgeries (only foot and ankle), it will be more specialized and takes less time to complete the whole degree/residency. I really want to work for a professional sports team....i know its easier said than done. But I don't really want to work as a personal trainer.

This leads back to my decision on what I should do, do I really want to continue my path as a pre med for med school (MD or DO) or Podiatry? Or should I concentrate on trying to get in PT school?

Any comment or help would be greatly appreciated, I just want to hear some other peoples opinions. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Not saying there are none, but I don't know of any "team podiatrists". You could always take the long route and do orthopedic surgery.

A good way to break in with a sports team is to do PT or ATC at a big college or try to get into an Olympic Training Center - these are tough to get, but can be done. Like anything, building the ol' resume will help a lot.

Good luck in whatever you choose.

dc

Barry University has a good sports medicine fellowship after completing their podiatric medical degree.