can't decide which speciality to apply

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lovelace9

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am currently on my 4th year of med school, and I should make up my mind soon on which medical specialty am gonna apply to for the 2018 match.
My choices are IM, FM, Psych
What made me think about psych is just one thing: I want to have a life to live. I don't wanna spend the whole day in the hospital and come back home sleep. especially that medicine is not my only passion or not my first passion in life. I enjoy other things in life much more than medicine (travel, soccer, reading).

Another thing that made me think about applying for psych is how easy and simple the work of a psychiatrist is=basically you are getting paid to listen and talk to patients. you ask patients about their mood, sleep, concentration, hallucinations, delusions, etc... then you jot down what they say and that's it.

I used to tag along with my relative during his psychiatrist appointments and I just used to envy their job. They seemed relaxed to me, having an easy job.

However the downside about psych for me is that I like to read more and am more interested about internal medicine diseases than psych diseases. When I was doing my core 6 week psych rotation I found it mentally hard to be around mental patients talking to themselves in the hallway. I was happy to be done the rotation and I remember I felt that I am not a Dr. but more of a social worker since I am just "talking" and chatting with patients. I felt that this is not medicine and i felt that I miss looking at lab results/images and telling pts the result is positive or negative, etc...

For FM: I thought about it because I dont like inpatient work and I love clinic and outpatient work, however I don't want to do that month of surgery and that month of OB training during the FM residency because during my med school rotations I hated being in the OR and since then I just hate going to the OR, so I can't think of going to the OR again for 2 month during FM residency.

So the choice is:
Should I pick something that will offer me a life outside of work=psych
or Should I pick something that I am more interested in=IM
or should I pick something that I am most interested in but hate its training system ( 2 blocks of surgery and OB)

Members don't see this ad.

Lmao do IM , live in the town over from the hospital and travel to work every morning , get an audibles account and listen to books on your commute , and play soccer on ur days off.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

You don't even sound like you like psychiatry nor even have an understanding of it. How are you a 4th year?

Status
Not open for further replies.