This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm a 3rd year hoping to apply next year and just worried that some of the programs I'll be applying to will be out of reach because of needing med sub-I's. I go to a mid-low tier MD school but they don't offer many med sub-I spots and I'm kind of worried about my ability to bag one. Wanted to see if it would close any doors for me.
 
This is a thing? I mean people apply to residencies from literal foreign medical schools that certainly don't have a concept of a sub-i. I thought generally residencies were looking for people who graduated from medical school and passed their Steps.
 
This is a thing? I mean people apply to residencies from literal foreign medical schools that certainly don't have a concept of a sub-i. I thought generally residencies were looking for people who graduated from medical school and passed their Steps.
In larger cities (like Boston) and at more competitive programs, medicine clerkship grades and/or whether a medicine sub-internship was completed can matter. This is because some of these programs still require their interns to rotate through the several relatively high-complexity medicine wards and the medical ICU +/- they have robust consult-liaison services with quite medically complex patients.

Not having done a medicine sub-I probably won't break you, but if you're able to schedule one at some point in the year, I'd say do it.