Can’t decide !

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Clar1

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
So , I graduated in 2017 with BS in microbiology from UC Riverside .My college gpa is 3.33 and my university gpa is 2.66. I really didn’t know how to study in university. After graduation I worked as a microbiologist for 3 years . Then I quit my job and got certifications for dental assisting . It’s been a year that I am a dental assistant . I took 19 units including anatomy and physiology and I got As in all of them . So my college gpa is 4.0. My total gpa from 3 schools is 3.1. I didn’t take DAT yet , but I am planning on taking it soon. My university of interest is Loma Linda and Western. Now, I got into West Coast dental hygiene school which costs 100k . I am not sure if I should go to dental hygiene school to raise my chances or just take science classes another year and apply to dental school. I am 34 years old and I am planning to marry next year that’s why I just wanted to do dental hygiene so financially I can be safe ! Any recommendation ?! I appreciate it .

Members don't see this ad.

So , I graduated in 2017 with BS in microbiology from UC Riverside .My college gpa is 3.33 and my university gpa is 2.66. I really didn’t know how to study in university. After graduation I worked as a microbiologist for 3 years . Then I quit my job and got certifications for dental assisting . It’s been a year that I am a dental assistant . I took 19 units including anatomy and physiology and I got As in all of them . So my college gpa is 4.0. My total gpa from 3 schools is 3.1. I didn’t take DAT yet , but I am planning on taking it soon. My university of interest is Loma Linda and Western. Now, I got into West Coast dental hygiene school which costs 100k . I am not sure if I should go to dental hygiene school to raise my chances or just take science classes another year and apply to dental school. I am 34 years old and I am planning to marry next year that’s why I just wanted to do dental hygiene so financially I can be safe ! Any recommendation ?! I appreciate it .
i spoke to a dds this afternoon in seattle who told me she is paying $65/hour for hygiene and is having difficulty keeping hygienists on staff
not sure if CA pay is higher
just a data point for you...

Reactions: 1 users
I don't suggest going into dental hygiene just to raise you chances, there is whole application process associated with that path as well as coursework, and it may not be high-yield in terms of advantages gained vs time spent. It may be best to pick hygiene or dental school.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
i spoke to a dds this afternoon in seattle who told me she is paying $65/hour for hygiene and is having difficulty keeping hygienists on staff
not sure if CA pay is higher
just a data point for you...

Yes , the pay is good in CA , too. That’s why I didn’t want to do a masters and I am thinking about doing dental hygiene . Thank you !

I don't suggest going into dental hygiene just to raise you chances, there is whole application process associated with that path as well as coursework, and it may not be high-yield in terms of advantages gained vs time spent. It may be best to pick hygiene or dental school.

Thank you ! it is very time consuming and extra effort , but my age is older so I am panicking about making money at the same time. Thank you !

Thank you ! it is very time consuming and extra effort , but my age is older so I am panicking about making money at the same time. Thank you !
some hygiene schools are not liberal about giving out As, so it can also hurt your chances of getting into d school...