can't get accepted to omfs residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blaska999

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Suppose one has a 2.3 - 2.9 gpa from dental school ( ditto for undergrad ), is ranked 80/100, has a 75-80 for both part 1 and 2, no extracurriculars or awards. But assume that he has finished an AEGD residency.

Is it enough to retake just the part 1 exam to get into any omfs residency? would you recommend starting dental school all over again as an advanced standing student?

please advise. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I would think that retaking the boards and doing a one year OMFS internship would be better than redoing dental school.

Ask yourself this:

What can you do to make an OMFS program believe that someone who was neither exceptional in undergrad nor dental school is going to somehow turn it all around and make it through an even more difficult 4-6 years as a resident?

Sounds like you've put yourself in a pretty big hole not just through one or two "mistakes" but demonstrated through 8 years worth of mediocre performance. I think you're better off learning as much as you can about OS areas you like via CE courses or an internship and concentrating on those areas in your practice. I doubt there's an reasonably possible way to create a clean slate for yourself in the academic world.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ask yourself this:

What can you do to make an OMFS program believe that someone who was neither exceptional in undergrad nor dental school is going to somehow turn it all around and make it through an even more difficult 4-6 years as a resident?

Sounds like you've put yourself in a pretty big hole not just through one or two "mistakes" but demonstrated through 8 years worth of mediocre performance. I think you're better off learning as much as you can about OS areas you like via CE courses or an internship and concentrating on those areas in your practice. I doubt there's an reasonably possible way to create a clean slate for yourself in the academic world.
Ouch!

Crazy_sherm is correct by saying those numbers aren't competitive for OMFS. They say that the best predictor of future behavior is past behavior. Program directors are going to look very closely at your performance to try and predict whether you can withstand the onslaught of those 4-6 years of residency. I think hard work in an internship and a stellar score on the part 1 retake are your best bet.

Here's my 2 cents:

You can't change your grades and frankly I don't think they matter all that much anymore and most directors know this. You should get your boards up to 90s. You should externship. Mostly you should be able to tell a compelling story as to WHY you want to get into an OMFS program. A guy who retook the boards after 8 years and got 91 can pass USMLE 1. Also don't forget it shows drive that you would give up a 6 figure income and start an OMFS residency.

Get a 91 and extern a bunch. Make connections and don't worry about the competition just do your best, you'll get in somewhere. Many roads lead to Rome.

so I don't have to retake part 2?

I can't remember my exact part 2 score but I know I barely passed with somewhere in the high 70s.....

I wonder what they'll do if he takes Part I after it gets converted to the PASS/FAIL format... will they still show his score or just a PASS just like they do for everyone else that takes it that year?

Can you imagine if you study your &$$ off to get >90 and it ends up being P/F? I'd be bummed.

I wonder what they'll do if he takes Part I after it gets converted to the PASS/FAIL format... will they still show his score or just a PASS just like they do for everyone else that takes it that year?

Can you imagine if you study your &$$ off to get >90 and it ends up being P/F? I'd be bummed.

When will they make Part I pass/fail? Will Part II also be p/f?

Can anyone post a link to the ADA that has a description of the new scoring format?

I'm not sure it is worth it to go through dental school again in an attempt to raise your gpa. Most programs aren't really interested in your part 2 score at all from my experience.

A few members have recommended externships. I recommended an internship because they will find out over the course of that year how determined you are in pursuing an oral surgery residency. If you work tirelessly and show a strong potential to learn over the course of a difficult year, they will look highly upon you.

A friend of mine had credentials similar to yours and was able to secure an internship. Unfortunately he didn't match the following year, although he can look back without any regrets knowing he did everything he could to become an oral surgeon.

I have been asking the same question the past few weeks, no one seems to know!

Here are the other rules:

- Since re-examination will not be allowed for those who pass the test, how well you do can never be known other than the ADA itself (even the candidate won't know how well they did). As we all know, this will be the end of post-grad programs comparing performances/scores for admission purposes.

- The pass/fail test results will also be reported electronically via a secure website in the future. Which means, no more waiting for mail at your physical address, while post-grad programs can check if you passed/failed online too (no need to submit your results to them).

This is all effective from 2010, and will mostly effect those who apply to specialties from 2011/2012 cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
Choose a GP residency program associated with a OMFS association and via, politics and hard work you may get in. That is how a few of my friends did it, first the graduated dental school then they did a GP then a Fellowship in OMS then through hard work in both programs got into a couple of OMS programs.

Unless you are from a foreign trained school you cannot become and advanced standing student. Do the best you can and then work your way up the ranks in residency training programs. If you want it bad enough then you are better off working through Cali and NYS GP programs as they are with a large number of programs. If you start school again, you risk the age question...check out the growing anesthesia programs, gain some knowledge there and then apply to OMS...or even the GP to anes then to omfs....you are going to gain and be more competative because you have those advanced clinical skills..good luck

some things aren't clear to me......

1) How am I supposed to do an OS internship or anesthesia residency if I can't get accepted to them? ( I actually applied to 9 OS internships and 2 anesthesia programs. I wasn't offered an interview at a single program )

2) I did an AEGD. Do I still need to do a GPR?

3) Do I really have to retake the boards? If so, do I have to retake both part I and II? When is the latest I can retake them? ( assuming that they will eventually be pass/fail exams )

4) What happens if I fail the boards on my second try?

1) How am I supposed to do an OS internship or anesthesia residency if I can't get accepted to them? ( I actually applied to 9 OS internships and 2 anesthesia programs. I wasn't offered an interview at a single program )

2) I did an AEGD. Do I still need to do a GPR?

3) Do I really have to retake the boards? If so, do I have to retake both part I and II? When is the latest I can retake them? ( assuming that they will eventually be pass/fail exams )

4) What happens if I fail the boards on my second try?

Unfortunately, I think you've answered your own questions.

Have you arranged a one on one with a program director for your favorite OMS program? I would lay it all on the table and say "what would I need to do to make myself competitive for your program?" Then let them tell you what it would take for them to seriously consider you.

Your only hope is to retake boards and ace them. Considering your past academic record, I would submit that you may not be capable. If you think there is a chance you would fail the boards, then you definitely are not capable of making a good score. The only question when you walk out of the testing center should be did you ace them, not did you pass them.

Furthermore, you are basically in a lose/lose situation explaining your past shortcomings. Either a) you didn't work very hard or b) you are not very intelligent.

I was gonna say the same thing...if you think there is a chance you would fail then you don't have the ability to get a score that could erase your academic record. Sorry, some things in life aren't given but have to be earned.

Your only hope is to retake boards and ace them. Considering your past academic record, I would submit that you may not be capable. If you think there is a chance you would fail the boards, then you definitely are not capable of making a good score. The only question when you walk out of the testing center should be did you ace them, not did you pass them.

Furthermore, you are basically in a lose/lose situation explaining your past shortcomings. Either a) you didn't work very hard or b) you are not very intelligent.

Ouch..now I know where "servitup" comes from....

I was gonna say the same thing...if you think there is a chance you would fail then you don't have the ability to get a score that could erase your academic record. Sorry, some things in life aren't given but have to be earned.

I've been reading my basic sciences textbooks over and over again. If I can stay home and do nothing else ( no work or school ) for the next 8 months, I think there's a chance I can do well on Part I.

Part II will probably require another 6 months of nothing but studying.

So for a little over an yr, I won't have any work experience under my belt.

This wouldn't hurt my CV too much, would it?

Hmmmmm....what are you gonna do in residency when you can't take off a year to absorb the material that everyone else learns along the way? Dental school was easy, compared to how in residency you come home from being in the hospital 2-3 days straight, now you have to read for an hour to prepare for a case tomorrow.

Ask yourself this:

It's an excellent point. Specialty programs may have difficult minimum requirements because of their popularity, but for the most part it is to weed out the students that the program believes won't be able to withstand the rigors of the program. It's actually doing the applicants a favor in the long run. Who wants to be miserable for 4 or 6 more years, when their grades reflect that they were miserable for 4 years of dental school?

so would it be enough if I can get a 90 or higher on a Part I retake?

Would this make me competitive for next year's application cycle?

so would it be enough if I can get a 90 or higher on a Part I retake?

Would this make me competitive for next year's application cycle?

Bottom line: ask the director of the program you want what THEY want to see from you. They are the only opinion that should matter to you. I for one would not start down this long road without a plan for specific success that has been validated. That personal plan should be given to you by the program director. The easy thing about life is, these things are usually there for the asking, so long as you are respectful.

Hey at my respective school, we have a guy that got a 82 on part I boards, and didnt even graduate dental here in USA. But he got in. And just to let you know we at a top 3 program in the country. Program director loves mid to high 90s and stellar ranking, but if you got an internship, externships, and other proof of experience its a big plus. GOOD LUCK...

Hey at my respective school, we have a guy that got a 82 on part I boards, and didnt even graduate dental here in USA. But he got in. And just to let you know we at a top 3 program in the country. Program director loves mid to high 90s and stellar ranking, but if you got an internship, externships, and other proof of experience its a big plus. GOOD LUCK...

Who are the other two top 3 programs?

I know one of the two is whichever one lets you in.

It's actually doing the applicants a favor in the long run. Who wants to be miserable for 4 or 6 more years, when their grades reflect that they were miserable for 4 years of dental school?
Thoughtful comment.

To the original poster, and also a reminder to myself:
Let's not forget there are thousands of people who would love to live in US.
Thousands of high school students who would love to get in college.
Thousands of college students who would love to have a major selected.
Thousands of pre-dents who would love to even be in dental school.
Thousands of dental students who would love to simply graduate.
Thousands of people who look back and regret their lives and wish they would have done things over so they can be a dentist now.
Thousands of dentist who aren't appreciative of their current success.

I got to remind myself of this too.

Last edited:
Can we stop bumping threads from several years back???