Can't Refer Own Patients to Personal Training, Correct?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ShinySephiroth

Determined
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was going through some hospital training this morning and the topic of Stark Law was brought up. It got me thinking as I am in the middle of studying to become a CPT to get some extra cash as I finish my masters (applying to med school afterward) - If I maintain my certification long-term, I would need to make sure to not mention or advertise my side job at all to any patients I see as a physician under Stark Law, correct? I was thinking specifically about doing CPT stuff during my residency to help pay student loans.

Members don't see this ad.

What if you integrated it into your practice rather than have it as a separate business?

Reactions: 1 user
What if you integrated it into your practice rather than have it as a separate business?
I had originally thought about this but didn't know the legality behind it! I have been considering going into endocrinology and was thinking that having a personal training division of the clinic would make sense to help combat T2D. So if I roll certain services into the actual protocols of healthcare of the clinic/department, then (with the help of lawyers) it shouldn't be a problem, correct?
One thing that has gotten me thinking about that is the ER I work in right now - we have a physical therapist who is an employee of the ED and sees patients with qualifying musculoskeletal problems. But, in the hypothetical I asked about, I was thinking how it would help segue some patients from medical care to personal training if I was the same person who they met with... helping with continuity of care and whatnot. Does that make sense? I'm finishing up my MBA and the business aspect of all of this just fascinates me.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had originally thought about this but didn't know the legality behind it! I have been considering going into endocrinology and was thinking that having a personal training division of the clinic would make sense to help combat T2D. So if I roll certain services into the actual protocols of healthcare of the clinic/department, then (with the help of lawyers) it shouldn't be a problem, correct?
One thing that has gotten me thinking about that is the ER I work in right now - we have a physical therapist who is an employee of the ED and sees patients with qualifying musculoskeletal problems. But, in the hypothetical I asked about, I was thinking how it would help segue some patients from medical care to personal training if I was the same person who they met with... helping with continuity of care and whatnot. Does that make sense? I'm finishing up my MBA and the business aspect of all of this just fascinates me.

My cardiology clinic has its own conditioning program we refer obese people to (different than cardiac rehab)

Would it be practical to use your PT cert when you have an M.D./D.O. ? (Opportunity Cost) Probably not. Maybe you could use it to be the "Managing Trainer" of that section or something like that.

Reactions: 1 users
The Stark Law is pretty complex. Best bet is to talk to a lawyer who specializes in healthcare about this. But that file is so helpful! Saved.

Reactions: 1 user