Can't tell if course fulfills biology requirement?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neurobass

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am one semester away from completing my undergrad and I am applying to med school in the fall. While I have completed all of my math, chemistry, physics requirements the one requirement I have left to complete is biology (I am a psych major).

So far I have one semester of a human biology course with lab which I assume will count. I am now registering for my last semester and I am having trouble with getting a biology class that will count for my second semester of bio for med school. Due to my school being small our selection is limited and that selection is even more limited by my living situation and availability.

At this time the only bio class that I can take is "Organismal and Pop Biology". I will paste the course description :
"Hours: Three hours lecture and three hours laboratory per week An introduction to the biology of organisms including ecology, evolution, diversity and human impacts. The ecology unit includes discussion of population, community, and ecosystem ecology. Evolution covers natural selection and the Darwinian revolution, origin of species, and other evolutionary processes. Diversity covers systematics and taxonomy, and a tour of life on Earth including viruses, prokaryotes, protists, fungi, plants and animals. Human impacts on biological systems will be discussed."

I have checked several medical schools websites as well as the AAMC website but cannot find a definite answer. Does anyone know if this course sounds like it will fulfill my biology requirement (as my year of bio along with my previously completed Human Biology).
If not, the only other option available is a course called Medical Microbiology which I MAY be able to take instead only as a last resort due to the scheduling.

Thanks,

Members don't see this ad.

Look at the biology degree curriculum for your school and see what they have to take for basic bio 1-2

Hello, I am one semester away from completing my undergrad and I am applying to med school in the fall. While I have completed all of my math, chemistry, physics requirements the one requirement I have left to complete is biology (I am a psych major).

So far I have one semester of a human biology course with lab which I assume will count. I am now registering for my last semester and I am having trouble with getting a biology class that will count for my second semester of bio for med school. Due to my school being small our selection is limited and that selection is even more limited by my living situation and availability.

At this time the only bio class that I can take is "Organismal and Pop Biology". I will paste the course description :
"Hours: Three hours lecture and three hours laboratory per week An introduction to the biology of organisms including ecology, evolution, diversity and human impacts. The ecology unit includes discussion of population, community, and ecosystem ecology. Evolution covers natural selection and the Darwinian revolution, origin of species, and other evolutionary processes. Diversity covers systematics and taxonomy, and a tour of life on Earth including viruses, prokaryotes, protists, fungi, plants and animals. Human impacts on biological systems will be discussed."

I have checked several medical schools websites as well as the AAMC website but cannot find a definite answer. Does anyone know if this course sounds like it will fulfill my biology requirement (as my year of bio along with my previously completed Human Biology).
If not, the only other option available is a course called Medical Microbiology which I MAY be able to take instead only as a last resort due to the scheduling.

Thanks,

Doesn't sound like a real course.

Reactions: 1 user
QUOTE="DelayedGratification, post: 19915140, member: 889618"]Look at the biology degree curriculum for your school and see what they have to take for basic bio 1-2[/QUOTE]

Just looked at the course requirements for the Biology program at my school. It is listed as one of the two lower-level biology courses for the degree. It is Bio 200 and the other is Bio 201 which I am unable to take due to availability.
8fuGwYc

So does that sound like it will work?