Can't tell if VCOM is serious or trolling...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How ridiculous does this sound. "Virginia College of Osteopathic Medicine - Virginia" "Virginia College of Osteopathic Medicine - Carolinas" "Virginia College of Osteopathic Medicine - Alabama". It sounds like the University of Phoenix and it's disgusting.

Meh. It's the same naming convention used by others, e.g. University of California at [city].

Members don't see this ad.

I just wanted to clarify a few things:

1) VCOM is being heavily recruited by Auburn to open a college of osteopathic medicine there. VCOM did not seek out to open one there. VCOM was simply presented an opportunity to expand their network, research, and training opportunities to include Auburn.

2) One thing that AUBURN negotiated is that the school will be called "Auburn-COM." It will not be "VCOM-Auburn."

3) VCOM now stands for "Via College of Osteopathic Medicine," after Mr. Via, who left his fortune when he died to develop a medical school to serve rural areas. It says it on all the flags and banners.

HopeinMedicine basically made every point that needed to be made in this thread and I hope you (yodoc) read it. You sound ridiculous by the way. You did know you were getting into medical school and it wouldn't be easy right? (in response to your 2+ test per week comment) It was the same for us in Virginia during our first two years. In regards to your story about your friend's SP encounter; are you sure that is a story she would want you telling. Sounds like that might have been a private matter between her and the faculty physician in charge of standardized patient. Hope that comment doesn't come back to bite you......

Members don't see this ad :)
as of 8/30/12 it's official, the Auburn campus is happening. first class of 150 students in 2015

VCOM's first class entered in 2003. VTC's first class entered in 2010. So, obviously, there wasn't already an affiliation with VTC. VTC, according to their website, wasn't announced til 2007 -- the same year VCOM graduated it's first class. So, did VCOM not try to secure an affiliation with VaTech? Also, it's not unheard of for universities to have DO and MD affiliations... and to have multiple medical school campuses.

Well I was just commenting that MSU supports both a MD and DO school and the world hasn't ended. There is plenty of room to train both, share some facilities and sites, and everyone is happy.

It makes me curious why VCOM hasnt made the same affiliation. I won't speculate in this case, as VCOM is one of the schools I know the least about.

Actually it is very unusual. There was a famous University President at one of the Big 10 schools who was famous for saying that President's worst nightmare is having a medical school attached to the university. Doubly worse to have two. (Hint: Which Big 10 medical program has multiple campuses but only one school?) Medical schools are an enormous drain on University resources.

As a side note, I was unimpressed with VCOM-Spartanberg when I was there in the fall of 2010. The first class was set to matriculate in less than a year, and the buildings were not even built yet. Seriously, I was shocked that the AACOM gave them accreditation when their facilities weren't even constructed. When I interviewed there, they didn't show us a single thing other than the foundation where it was to be built and the temporary administrative office.

This really saddens me. In the past, I would have said that VCOM had the most promise of all the new schools...but then, they started opening branch campuses. If they had invested all of their resources into the original school at VT, they would probably have been on their way to greatness. I guess this goes to show how VCOM is just another money-driven entity like LECOM and Touro.

Reactions: 1 users
Actually it is very unusual. There was a famous University President at one of the Big 10 schools who was famous for saying that President's worst nightmare is having a medical school attached to the university. Doubly worse to have two. (Hint: Which Big 10 medical program has multiple campuses but only one school?) Medical schools are an enormous drain on University resources.

um, if it's so bad then schools can either not start them or give them up...this is just non-sensical

um, if it's so bad then schools can either not start them or give them up...this is just non-sensical

It isn't nonsensical. Medical schools drain resources, however, they attract research money and are a must for big research Universities. At least, that is how M.D. schools are looked at. They are loved by non-admistrative faculty, and a hassle for those who control the University coinpurse, this is especially true (x100) if they have a University hospital, which many M.D. schools do have.

It isn't nonsensical. Medical schools drain resources, however, they attract research money and are a must for big research Universities. At least, that is how M.D. schools are looked at. They are loved by non-admistrative faculty, and a hassle for those who control the University coinpurse, this is especially true (x100) if they have a University hospital, which many M.D. schools do have.

Once again, if they're such a 'hassle' the university administrators can get rid of them if they like. They don't, that should tell you they provide net value. I'm still not sure what your point was when virtually every well-known institution has a medical school and everyone who doesn't is falling over themselves to get accreditation to start one, especially LCME accreditation

Last edited:
Wow, that was quite a rant. My point was 1. She was a first year and very small inconsequential things get blown up way out of proportion during this time and 2. it is absolutely ignorant to go online and blast the very institution that will be giving you your degree to practice medicine..... I'm sorry you're a disgruntled medical student as well (you are despite what you say or you wouldn't have gone off randomly on an online forum). Despite the fact that we pay for our medical education, you are still privileged to be earning a degree in medicine and VCOM is giving you that opportunity. Drinking the kool aid? I know VCOM's flaws but am not losing sight of the bigger picture. Plus, I know that ripping on my own school only relfects poorly on myself. I am sure your pessimism will take you far in life.

This guy is obviously taking some one ELSE'S true-life events way to personally. It is ok that you love your school, and take pride in it. Other people do not. I'm a 4th year at VCOM and hate it. The education is poor, the rotation coordinator (Sarah) submits paperwork weeks after the due dates to institutions, and many of the faculty simply copy their questions from last year or the back of Q-banks. It is OK to not like these things. Don't be mad bro.

Last edited:

Last edited: