CAP gives lab medical directors a very long list of responsibilities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

y2k_free_radical

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
But many of us are paid peanuts for doing them.Hospital administrators also do not empower many of us to control quality and quantity of lab personnel.Challenging this would lead to replacement in many instances.When will the CAP change requirements that have become antiquated in today's market place ?

Members don't see this ad.

Probably when enough labs drop CAP accreditation. Given a choice I would go with Joint Commission.

Supply and demand problem. Pathologists N.O.S are a dime a dozen.
Admins really don’t care (or even know) if a pathologist is any good.
They only care if and when there are problems. Neurosurgeons and
interventional cards, for example, get paid LOTS of money for
being AVAILABLE to a level 1 trauma center because of supply and demand.
This is, IMO, one of the reasons hospital and health systems want
to employ these folks as fast as they can. Easier to control employees.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Supply and demand problem. Pathologists N.O.S are a dime a dozen.
Admins really don’t care (or even know) if a pathologist is any good.
They only care if and when there are problems. Neurosurgeons and
interventional cards, for example, get paid LOTS of money for
being AVAILABLE to a level 1 trauma center because of supply and demand.
This is, IMO, one of the reasons hospital and health systems want
to employ these folks as fast as they can. Easier to control employees.
Then why does the CAP and perhaps CLIA make us so responsible for laboratory procedures,quality and personnel when we have little authority and are paid peanuts for the time required for such oversight.

Wtf is this post? Your job is to provide oversight to the lab... YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR WHAT HAPPENS THERE. ALL OF IT.

If you dont feel adequately compensated and cant commit the time, I urge you to remove yourself from the role. It's your a** if there are any problems.

Wtf is this post? Your job is to provide oversight to the lab... YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR WHAT HAPPENS THERE. ALL OF IT.

If you dont feel adequately compensated and cant commit the time, I urge you to remove yourself from the role. It's your a** if there are any problems.
So many of us should put in much time and be responsible for the clinical lab operation while being paid little for same.Of course we should if we want to be able to keep our contract allowing us to do surgical pathology.

Then why does the CAP and perhaps CLIA make us so responsible for laboratory procedures,quality and personnel when we have little authority and are paid peanuts for the time required for such oversight.

There is no mystery here. CAP and CLIA do what they do to make money (CAP) and
to exercise bureaucratic control & power (CLIA). Neither, but the government in
particular, care if you are fairly or unfairly burdened by their imposition. And your
compensation is not their concern. Most of the government feels you are overpaid
and do not pay your fair share.
Any more questions?

There is no mystery here. CAP and CLIA do what they do to make money (CAP) and
to exercise bureaucratic control & power (CLIA). Neither, but the government in
particular, care if you are fairly or unfairly burdened by their imposition. And your
compensation is not their concern. Most of the government feels you are overpaid
and do not pay your fair share.
Any more questions?

I expect this from government

I should not see this from my own professional society