You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Car for medical school and beyond?
Started by darklabel
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Forgot about the side income potential lol.@Mad Jack Go out in the dessert. Cook up some blue....profit!
@ChemNerd07 good place for making "stained glass" I bet..@Mad Jack Go out in the dessert. Cook up some blue....profit!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Jesus... Haha.@ChemNerd07 good place for making "stained glass" I bet..
1996 Subaru Legacy. Single owner prior to me. And AWD can be important, the other day we had 12-14 inches of snow, interns are expected to make it in and one said it took him an hour and a half for what is normally 25-30 minutes. I need AWD during the winter and debating whether to keep mine till it dies or buy a new Subaru.
You do not need AWD just to drive in snow.1996 Subaru Legacy. Single owner prior to me. And AWD can be important, the other day we had 12-14 inches of snow, interns are expected to make it in and one said it took him an hour and a half for what is normally 25-30 minutes. I need AWD during the winter and debating whether to keep mine till it dies or buy a new Subaru.
You do not need AWD just to drive in snow.
Agreed. RWDs with snow tires are a lot better than AWD with all-season tires.
Surprisingly, you're not the first on here to suggest something like this: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...-with-med-school-loans.1039619/#post-14574614The best vehicle for med school and residency:
![]()
+Live a short walk from lecture or rounds
+Relocate at a moment's notice for cheap
+Skirt sky-high rents no matter where you match
+/-Attracts hippy chicks, musicians, and artists like flies to ****
+Feel like a rock star on tour all day erryday
+Save money to pay back those loans
+Insure your home car all in one plan
+Re-enact scenes from Spaceballs with your friends
-Repulsive to many of the opposite sex
-Not an option if you have kids
-Dat low gas mileage- You ain't movin' much, but when you do, be ready to pay
-Inevitable knocking on your door by the police at odd hours for parking illegally
Preference is fine...stating that it is necessary for the snow is silly. The word 'need' has been thrown around a lot up in hurr.My Subaru is great in the snow, I'd rather have AWD, but that's my preference.
Right, and with a FWD car (like my beloved 3), you're going to get a lot of use out of that training. It was a great car but handling it in ice and snow was an absolute nightmare. If you live in a suburb where the plowing is meh and the sanding is double meh, you're going to spend a lot of time slipping and sliding on phenomenal patches of crap. I never wiped out because I knew what I was doing. However, it was nerve wracking. Hence, AWD.
I've driven in plenty of snow (I don't let a snowstorm stop me from travelling), and to be honest, never used that training. I just drove slowly and never changed 2 things at once (speed OR direction, not both). Voila, very little sliding.If I get a car for med school, it will definitely be one that is reliable, economical, and new. For me, the answer is the Toyota Prius C, which is the most compact of Toyota's main hybrid car. It starts at around $19,000 and gets 53 miles per gallon. And it's reliable, safe, and has a surprisingly roomy interior. And it handles reasonably well. The only downside is it is slightly emasculating to drive, especially when you're a 6"2 male...
My school was in the middle of the mountains and I delivered newspapers in January. My car was a crappy old American model which I found out later did not have any suspension in the rear because the air pump had died.Yes, I can tell your New England balls are huge. How often do you drive in areas that are mostly hills, such as Somerville, or really poorly handled, like anywhere in Boston or the hood?
Again, not saying AWD isn't a fine preference. Just saying it's not a necessity.
Anyone planning on going through medical school with a completely impractical car?
I'm going to enter with a mid 90s TT AWD VR4. I'm sure I'll have plenty of time to fix its monthly problems lol
I feel your pain, man. I also had an older german car that I absolutely had to get rid of before starting school as it was pretty much "what 3 things will fail/go to complete crap this month?" The driving experience, however, was unmatched.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone planning on going through medical school with a completely impractical car?
I'm going to enter with a mid 90s TT AWD VR4. I'm sure I'll have plenty of time to fix its monthly problems lol
That's why I have 2 cars 🙂
My daily driver is down with a bad timing belt idling pulley (praying it didn't jump timing) so I've been driving my other car until I find the time to fix it, hopefully over spring break but maybe it'll have to wait until the summer.
Hope it's not an interference engine. Yikes, total top end rebuild sucksThat's why I have 2 cars 🙂
My daily driver is down with a bad timing belt idling pulley (praying it didn't jump timing) so I've been driving my other car until I find the time to fix it, hopefully over spring break but maybe it'll have to wait until the summer.
Hope it's not an interference engine. Yikes, total top end rebuild sucks
It is.
EJ251 in a 2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS. It didn't seize so I'm hoping there was enough tension left on the timing belt to keep it in place. Worst case scenario I'm considering cannabilizing my other car's engine (2000 Impreza wagon, has body rust and was planning to sell but glad I didn't).
It is.
EJ251 in a 2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS. It didn't seize so I'm hoping there was enough tension left on the timing belt to keep it in place. Worst case scenario I'm considering cannabilizing my other car's engine (2000 Impreza wagon, has body rust and was planning to sell but glad I didn't).
Ehhh, worth a shot. I tried something similar with one of my old rides but heads are often subtly warped to match the slight warping of their mated bottom end.
Heads from another identical engine should match but they can sometimes be slightly off. Like I said though, if it works it'll save you a bunch from not having to take it to a machine shop.
Yes, I can tell your New England balls are huge. How often do you drive in areas that are mostly hills, such as Somerville, or really poorly handled, like anywhere in Boston or the hood?
I drive on crappy side roads and up and down a few hills to and from work in my Corolla. It isn't that hard. Exercise a bit more caution and drive slow. Never had any issues driving through snow or ice.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 2
- Views
- 931
- Replies
- 21
- Views
- 5K