Car payments in dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

msf41

AADSAS = rip off
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if any of you dental students are making car payments while in dental school?

I've got about 1 1/2 years left to pay on my current car, 1999 Nissan Altima. But it's got almost 100,000 miles on it and I'm wondering if this car will make it through dental school without blowing up in the next four year. By the time I'm finishing school the car will be 9 years old and about 180,000 miles or so.

I'm kind of wondering if it would be worth it to trade it in now, when I can still get a good loan, so I can get a newer car that wont be breaking down on me through dental school.

What would you guys do? Save money and drive old car, or get a low payment newer car?

Members don't see this ad.

msf41 said:
What would you guys do? Save money and drive old car, or get a low payment newer car?

Honestly, I would get an older car that's reliable and not worry about making car payments during school. (Pay it off w/o a loan) I drive an old (believe me.. it's OLD) but very reliable vehicle. IMO this is what's important.. reliability, not looks. (AT THIS POINT... ) Good luck and believe me you'll be thankful when you are studying and not worrying how you will make "end meet" with a car payment to worry about. :cool:

msf41 said:
I was just wondering if any of you dental students are making car payments while in dental school?

I've got about 1 1/2 years left to pay on my current car, 1999 Nissan Altima. But it's got almost 100,000 miles on it and I'm wondering if this car will make it through dental school without blowing up in the next four year. By the time I'm finishing school the car will be 9 years old and about 180,000 miles or so.

I'm kind of wondering if it would be worth it to trade it in now, when I can still get a good loan, so I can get a newer car that wont be breaking down on me through dental school.

Altima is a reliable car, it will last you through dental school, just keep it because you only have a year and a half of payments left, if you trade it in, then you will have 3-5 years of payments. Just my 2 cents

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok same situation but it's a crappy 1990 buick regal that's completely paid off but will likely die within 2 years - do I upgrade now or see how long "grandpa" will last me?

USUaggie said:
Ok same situation but it's a crappy 1990 buick regal that's completely paid off but will likely die within 2 years - do I upgrade now or see how long "grandpa" will last me?

If you are pretty confident that you are going to be needing a new car in the next 4 years, doesn't it make sense to go looking for one now, before you have a ton of debt and a bank will still give you a loan? That is one of my thoughts about looking now.

USUAggie,
You'd better start looking at getting another car, unless you, or someone you know can get you really good deals on parts, and/or labor. Something that old will literally nickel and dime you to death through the next four years. Buy something like a Honda, Nissan, Toyota that's about 5 years old or so with low mileage (at as little a price as possible obviously) and you should be set. I just sold my '95 Accord for an '02 accord just to make sure that there were no problems during school. My '99 Pathfinder is still in really good shape and will last otherwise I'd probably upgrade that too. Just don't stay with something that may be paid off if it's not reliable...a hundred bucks a month is better than multiple problems at a couple hundred to a thousand bucks a shot during dental school.

Good point. I'd love to get a Tacoma. So, what's the best financing options? I have no money and don't want high interest bank loans to rack up over the next several years, can I budget that into my student loans? What have other people done?

USUaggie said:
Good point. I'd love to get a Tacoma. So, what's the best financing options? I have no money and don't want high interest bank loans to rack up over the next several years, can I budget that into my student loans? What have other people done?
Go through a credit union. theres a good one by LLU called altura, you can look them up on the net

egpndoc said:
Go through a credit union. theres a good one by LLU called altura, you can look them up on the net

Just get loans. I got a scholarship to go to school so I took the money I saved and my loans and bought a lincoln navigator. Only worry is where I will park the big vehicle my first year.

its sweet though and makes me happy so I got it.

GENERAL TSO said:
Just get loans.

People might laugh at your post, but I think you're right on.

If you don't have the money but need a new ride, then you should just pay for the vehicle directly with your loan money. There isn't any reason to get outside financing in that situation.

I got a new car last year and will still have payments in dental school...I'm just going to add it to my list of bills to pay every month with my student loan.

And when my Dad was in grad school, he got a scholarship so used his student loan to buy a sailboat!

That's it!

My new 2006 BMW M5 is going to make Case Dental School parking lot look a lot prettier :) :D :p