Car usage while in Optometry school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

socal2014

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it essential to get a car to go to your classes, clinics or to write the NBEO exam for most Optometry students?

Would a student be able to use public transportation quite easily to access his/her schools conveniently?

thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Is it essential to get a car to go to your classes, clinics or to write the NBEO exam for most Optometry students?

Would a student be able to use public transportation quite easily to access his/her schools conveniently?

thanks.

Depends entirely on the school. At SUNY, you probably won't ever drive a car for 4 years.

You can get away with not having a car at SCO if you live in the apartments right across the street. Otherwise you're either going to have to carpool with someone or take the bus.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's a good idea to have a car if you are going to PCO because the clinic is ~4 miles away from the campus. You can always trying to find carpool, but it's easier to have a car.

The school is close to a train station, so you will be able to explore center philly or go to the airport without a car.

I am hoping to attend PCO next year and I really need a new car. Is it possible to buy one with student loans? Or is the extra debt not worth it?

I am hoping to attend PCO next year and I really need a new car. Is it possible to buy one with student loans? Or is the extra debt not worth it?

Student loan has 6.8% interest rate, I wouldn't recommend using it to buy a car.

I've heard you need a vehicle to get to the clinic for PCO, but wouldn't pub.transport be sufficient?

It would be much better to carpool to the clinic than to use public transportation. A few of my classmates do carpool, but most drive on their own. Remember that time is valuable in optometry school; I wouldn't want to have an hour or more commute time both to and from clinic (which seems likely with public transportation).

It would be much better to carpool to the clinic than to use public transportation. A few of my classmates do carpool, but most drive on their own. Remember that time is valuable in optometry school; I wouldn't want to have an hour or more commute time both to and from clinic (which seems likely with public transportation).

Is carpooling pretty easy in optometry school? I mean were all a family!

It was easy for me to find a carpool group. I just went to my class's facebook page and made a post about it. It gets harder as you start clinic though because everyone's schedule is so different.