Carbohydrate Questions on OChem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pwn

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What exactly can we expect on this topic in the OC section of the dat? Looking at the stuff in Destroyer on carbs I realized that we never covered this stuff in my orgo class. I don't see a clear category that carbs would fit under in the ada dat outline for oc, but nevertheless I have to ask what should I know and what kind of stuff in this topic have you guys encountered on the real dat. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm hoping there isn't much on carbs because we talked about them the last day of lecture in my class, so I'm in the same boat as you.

if you know the general structure of a sugar (keto/aldo group + polyalcohol) you can figure out what reactions it can undergo.

Members don't see this ad :)
A reducing sugar acts like a reducing agent; like glucose. It is a reducing sugar b/c it can form a keto or ald in solution. It is oxidized and is therefore the reducing agent/ reducing sugar. I didn't learn that in OC either :/ I happened to have a lab on it in BioChem II.

You know, I spent 2 days trying to understand carbohydrate chemistry and guess what. NOTHING on my dat about it, that's not to say that you wont have any, but just saying, i wouldnt focus all my energy on it.

here is a super easy no BS way of determining if something is a reducing sugar or not...

look at it... does it have an OH group at C1? well if so then it is a reducing sugar! (aka a hemiacetal) some properties of reducing sugars: can mutarotate, +benedicts and +tollens test. glucose is a reducing sugar.

no OH group? well then it is nonreducing! sucrose is non reducing

Last edited:
Good call. Generally if it's -OR on c1 it's can't mutarotate. Sucrose is an excellent example, as are all other disaccharides .. . .