Pwn

10+ Year Member
Apr 1, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
What exactly can we expect on this topic in the OC section of the dat? Looking at the stuff in Destroyer on carbs I realized that we never covered this stuff in my orgo class. I don't see a clear category that carbs would fit under in the ada dat outline for oc, but nevertheless I have to ask what should I know and what kind of stuff in this topic have you guys encountered on the real dat. Thanks!

sugarsting

10+ Year Member
Aug 23, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
if you know the general structure of a sugar (keto/aldo group + polyalcohol) you can figure out what reactions it can undergo.

miedvied

7+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
I've looked it up three times, and I'm still brainfarting on what a "reducing sugar" is.

Jun 2, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
A reducing sugar acts like a reducing agent; like glucose. It is a reducing sugar b/c it can form a keto or ald in solution. It is oxidized and is therefore the reducing agent/ reducing sugar. I didn't learn that in OC either :/ I happened to have a lab on it in BioChem II.

marina1285

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2007
Status
Dental Student
You know, I spent 2 days trying to understand carbohydrate chemistry and guess what. NOTHING on my dat about it, that's not to say that you wont have any, but just saying, i wouldnt focus all my energy on it.

marina1285

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2007
Status
Dental Student
here is a super easy no BS way of determining if something is a reducing sugar or not...

look at it... does it have an OH group at C1? well if so then it is a reducing sugar! (aka a hemiacetal) some properties of reducing sugars: can mutarotate, +benedicts and +tollens test. glucose is a reducing sugar.

no OH group? well then it is nonreducing! sucrose is non reducing

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
Good call. Generally if it's -OR on c1 it's can't mutarotate. Sucrose is an excellent example, as are all other disaccharides .. . .