Carbon Ion Radiotherapy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Charles_Carmichael

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Searched around and couldn't find any good discussions on heavy ion therapy so I thought I might start one since it's an area of high interest to me (and hopefully others on here as well). I've been interested in carbon ion therapy for a while now and it was topped off today with an impressive presentation from one of the senior scientists at the Heidelberg Ion Therapy Center (HITC).

There's already some Japanese clinical data and the HITC recently put out some preliminary results (PMID: 20831505). A lot of the preclinical data is pretty impressive, and some of the stuff mentioned in the presentation I witnessed today sounded pretty awesome: the researchers at Heidelberg were getting RBE values of up to 5 in the spread-out Bragg peak (SOBP) while keeping it low (~1.3) in the plateau area. The precision of the carbon beams seems to be really incredible as well.

There are also some phase I/II trials starting up looking at multimodality treatments involving photons and carbon ions: the phase II CLEOPATRA trial (PMID: 20819220) comparing a carbon ion boost vs a proton boost after chemoradiotherapy for glioblastoma, the phase I/II CINDERELLA trial (PMID: 20925951) looking at reirradiation with carbon ions vs stereotactic fractionated radiotherapy for recurrent/progressive gliomas, the phase I PROMETHEUS trial evaluating carbon ion radiotherapy against hepatocellular carcinoma, etc.

I'm personally very excited about the potential for heavy ion radiotherapy, but while I'm fairly well-versed in the basic science behind all this stuff, I don't have the clinical background to really assess how much of an impact they can make in the clinic. So, it'd be great to hear your guys' viewpoints on heavy ion therapy and the future! I hope we can get a great discussion going! :)

PS. Saw a few pictures and video clips of the gantry at the HITC in the presentation today. That thing is monstrous! Doesn't even seem to fit into one picture! Very cool though!

Members don't see this ad.

I think the role of charged/heavy ion particle therapy will grow exponentially. One major limiting factor is expense and accessibility. Having the infrastructure, personnel, and know-how to fully utilize a carbon ion or even a large proton facility is a great investment. Then, there's politics of course. Most departments are unwilling or unable to invest in it when their linacs, trilogies, and gammaknives are doing the job quite well. IMRT has more or less allowed photons to catch up to ions in certain treatment sites but I'd imagine that optimizing ion IMRT would be the next step.

The Dielectric Wall Accelerator (DWA) looks like another step in bringing protons to more people! http://medicalphysicsweb.org/cws/article/research/44046

I think the role of charged/heavy ion particle therapy will grow exponentially. One major limiting factor is expense and accessibility. Having the infrastructure, personnel, and know-how to fully utilize a carbon ion or even a large proton facility is a great investment. Then, there's politics of course. Most departments are unwilling or unable to invest in it when their linacs, trilogies, and gammaknives are doing the job quite well. IMRT has more or less allowed photons to catch up to ions in certain treatment sites but I'd imagine that optimizing ion IMRT would be the next step.

The Dielectric Wall Accelerator (DWA) looks like another step in bringing protons to more people! http://medicalphysicsweb.org/cws/article/research/44046
I agree that the biggest problem with bringing ions into the clinic will be the expense. I'm curious though, at what sites is the IMRT dose distribution close to/equivalent to that of protons? My area of interest/research lies in GBM so my understanding of clinical radiotherapy at other sites is limited. My understanding of the literature is that protons are superior to IMRT and carbon ions are superior to even protons for dose distribution (less scattering, sharper Bragg peak, etc).

I feel like, as functional imaging of hypoxia improves, high-LET therapy will start gaining a lot more interest. Since photons don't work as well against hypoxic cells, with carbon ions, you'd be able to dose- and LET-paint hypoxic regions, which would, in theory, improve local control (PMID: 20831510). And, while I don't have any literature to back me up, I would think that high-LET particles would be more effective against cancer stem cells. The idea is that they have a more robust DNA repair response, which contributes to their radioresistance, but they should have a much harder time repairing the clustered, complex DNA damage that high-LET particles like carbon ions would cause. I guess we just need to wait for a better basic understanding of the CSC hypothesis first though. I would imagine that, as things like this improve, programs would be more willing to invest in heavy ion therapy.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm curious though, at what sites is the IMRT dose distribution close to/equivalent to that of protons? My area of interest/research lies in GBM so my understanding of clinical radiotherapy at other sites is limited. My understanding of the literature is that protons are superior to IMRT and carbon ions are superior to even protons for dose distribution (less scattering, sharper Bragg peak, etc).
In the case of Glioblastoma I am not convinced that it's a matter of dose that actually makes the difference in outcome. The theoretical advantage of carbon ion radiotherapy in glioblastoma treatment is a rather more complex matter and has a lot to do with radiobiology and cell damage induced by photons vs. carbon ions (RBW).
After all dose escalation with photons in glioblastoma has proven rather not fertile at all, with hypofractionation, SRS-boost or dose escalation up to 90(?) all with photons providing no survival benefit over the standard 60 Gy.

i think there's a bit of controversy regarding the dose-response of GBM beyond the 60Gy mark.

I recently did a lit review on this topic, so why not share it with y'all. Most of the data has of course been sourced from the excellent rad onc wikibook!

Positive dose escalation trials include:

90Gy 1999*PMID 10433313*-- "Accelerated fractionated proton/photon irradiation to 90 cobalt gray equivalent for glioblastoma multiforme: results of a phase II prospective trial." (Fitzek MM, J Neurosurg. 1999 Aug;91(2):251-60.)
• Phase II. 23 patients, GBM, residual <60 ml, KPS >=70. Dose escalation with mixed photon/proton beam to 90 CGE
• Outcome: 2-year OS 34%, median OS 20 months which was 5-11 months higher than historical RTOG/MRC control. Tumor regrowth in areas of 60-70 Gy; only 1 recurrence in 90 Gy volume
• Conclusion: Dose of 90 CGE prevented central recurrence in almost all cases

* Comparing to history isn't very useful, but having only one local failure is nothing to sneer at. Perhaps this was radiation necrosis and may have responded to bevicuzimab?

67-75Gy mizoe; 2007*(1994-2002)*PMID 17459607*-- "Phase I/II clinical trial of carbon ion radiotherapy for malignant gliomas: combined X-ray radiotherapy, chemotherapy, and carbon ion radiotherapy." (Mizoe JE, Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2007 Oct 1;69(2):390-6. Epub 2007 Apr 24.)
• Phase I/II. 48 patients, malignant glioma (AA 16, GBM 32). Photons 50/25 + carbon ion dose escalation 16.8/8 -> 18.4/8 -> 20/8 -> 22.4/8 -> 24.8/8 GyE. Chemotherapy ACNU
• Outcome: median OS GBM: low dose 7 months vs. intermediate dose 19 months vs. high dose 26 months. Median OS AA: 15 months vs. 35 months vs. 56 months
• Toxicity: No Grade 3+, Grade 2 clinical 8%, Grade 2 radiographic 8%
• Conclusion: Combined therapy shows potential efficacy; improved survival with higher carbon dose

again heavy ion, again potential efficacy. This is a treatment tool definitely worth investigating for GBM!

Negative:

Chang 1983: Comparison of postoperative radiotherapy and combined postoperative radiotherapy and chemotherapy in the multidisciplinary management of malignant gliomas.
METHOD: 626 pts, 4 arms: 1) 60Gy/6-7wk WBRT 2) 1) + 10Gy/1-2 wk 'to tumour' 3) 1) + BCNU 4) 1) + methyl-CCNU.
RESULTS: no difference in LC or survival from 2). However, WBRT -> great risk of rad. Necrosis, likely outdated field planning thus excess non-therapeutic dose.

• RTOG 74-01 / ECOG 1374, 1988 - PMID 3281031, — "Combined modality approach to treatment of malignant gliomas--re-evaluation of RTOG 7401/ECOG 1374 with long-term follow-up: a joint study of the Radiation Therapy Oncology Group and the Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group." (Nelson DF et al. NCI Monogr. 1988;(6):279-84.)
&#9675; Randomized. High grade glioma. 1) 60 Gy whole brain vs 2)60 Gy + 10 Gy boost vs 3)60 Gy + BCNU vs 4)60 Gy + CCNU + DTIC
&#9675; Median OS: 60 Gy WBRT 9.3 months vs. 60 Gy WBRT + 10 Gy boost 8.2 months (NS)

90Gy Michigan*2002 -*PMID 11896114*--*Survival and failure patterns of high-grade gliomas after three-dimensional conformal radiotherapy.*(Chan JL, J Clin Oncol. 2002 Mar 15;20(6):1635-42.)
• Retrospective. 34 patients treated to 90 Gy using 3D-CRT. Median f/u 11.7 months
Defined recurrences as central (>95% of volume in high dose region), in-field(80% to 95%), marginal (20% to 80%), and distant (<20%). For planning, used GTV=enhancing tumor (no edema). PTV1=0.5 cm margin, PTV2=1.5 cm, PTV3=2.5 cm. 90 Gy prescribed to PTV1, 70 Gy to PTV2, 60 Gy to PTV3
• Recurrence: 78% central, 13% in-field, 9% marginal, 0% distal. Median OS 11.7 months, 1-year OS 47%, 2-year OS 13%
• Conclusion: continued local failures

• RTOG 98-03, 1998-2003 ASTRO Abstract -- Phase I/II Conformal Three-Dimensional Radiation Therapy Dose Escalation Study in Patients with Supratentorial Glioblastoma Multiforme: Report of the Radiation Therapy Oncology Group 98-03 Protocol. (Werner-Wasik, ASTRO 2004, Abstract 2769)
&#9675; Phase I/II. 209 patients, entered to 3D-CRT dose escalation 66 Gy, 72 Gy, 78 Gy or 84 Gy. Stratified by tumor volume. Also looking at effect of omitting treatment to edema volume
&#9675; RT PTV1: GTV + 15mm + 3mm to 46 Gy in 2 Gy/fx
&#9675; RT PTV2: GTV + 3mm boost to 66 Gy, 72 Gy, 78 Gy or 84 Gy in 2 Gy/fx
&#9675; Conclusion: Dose escalation feasible, no dose limiting toxicity (>30% grade 3 or 4) so far.

Radiosurgery
• RTOG 93-05
&#9675; 203 pts. GBM. All pts had surgery. Randomized to postoperative 1) SRS followed by EBRT 60 Gy + BCNU (q8w x 6), or 2) EBRT + BCNU, no SRS. SRS dose 16-24 Gy, based on size.
&#9675; 2004, PMID 15465203 — "Randomized comparison of stereotactic radiosurgery followed by conventional radiotherapy with carmustine to conventional radiotherapy with carmustine for patients with glioblastoma multiforme: report of Radiation Therapy Oncology Group 93-05 protocol." Souhami L et al. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2004 Nov 1;60(3):853-60.
§ Median f/u 5 yrs. MS 13.5 m (SRS) vs 13.6 m
&#9675; Conclusion: no difference in survival

Brachytherapy boost:
UCSF 1994 PMID: 8040017 Patterns of recurrence of glioblastoma multiforme after external irradiation followed by implant boost.(Sneed PK et al)
• EBRT 60Gy + hydroxyurea + I-125 brain implant (50Gy) + 6 cycles procarbazine, lomustine, vincristine
• 25 pts retrospective
• 3pts- no failure, 17 (77%)- local (<2cm from implant), 3- separate (>2cm implant), 1- subependymal , 1- systemic

It seems that perhaps heavy ions make all the difference!

I agree that the biggest problem with bringing ions into the clinic will be the expense. I'm curious though, at what sites is the IMRT dose distribution close to/equivalent to that of protons? My area of interest/research lies in GBM so my understanding of clinical radiotherapy at other sites is limited. My understanding of the literature is that protons are superior to IMRT and carbon ions are superior to even protons for dose distribution (less scattering, sharper Bragg peak, etc).

Yes, this is true. The Bragg Peak for heavy ions is even narrower than protons.

You are also correct in that (a) heavy ions have a far higher relative biological effectiveness (RBE) than protons or photons and (b) heavy ions allow for novel approaches to functional imaging including ways to actually "see" the radiation dose distribution immediately after a fraction.

In my opinion, the very slow adoption of heavy ions in the US will not be limited necessarily by the capital costs (after all many cyclotrons have been constructed of late) but rather by the the current reimbursement model of US Health Care. Since we bill techincal costs per fraction (e.g. machine time, OBI, etc.) it makes sense financially to fractionate (not just biologically :laugh: ). In the case of heavy ions, their excellent dose distrubution coupled with their very high RBE probably render conventional fractionation irrelevant. Most probably, heavy ions can achieve in a week what covnetionaly fractionated photons/protons would take 1.5 months to accomplish.

In Europe/Asia cost-effectiveness in health care makes this type of approach more viable. In the US, barring any shake-ups in reimbursements, our health care model will almost certainly de-accelerate acceptance and usage of heavy ions.

In the case of Glioblastoma I am not convinced that it's a matter of dose that actually makes the difference in outcome. The theoretical advantage of carbon ion radiotherapy in glioblastoma treatment is a rather more complex matter and has a lot to do with radiobiology and cell damage induced by photons vs. carbon ions (RBW).
After all dose escalation with photons in glioblastoma has proven rather not fertile at all, with hypofractionation, SRS-boost or dose escalation up to 90(?) all with photons providing no survival benefit over the standard 60 Gy.

I'm more excited about the ongoing phase I/II trial evaluating radiotherapy + TMZ + ABT-888 (PARP inhibitor) for GBM. Preclinical in vitro and in vivo data using PARP inhibitors in combination with radiotherapy has been pretty impressive. I think preliminary results will be coming out in January 2011, so I'm hoping to see some good stuff there!

In my opinion, the very slow adoption of heavy ions in the US will not be limited necessarily by the capital costs (after all many cyclotrons have been constructed of late) but rather by the the current reimbursement model of US Health Care. Since we bill techincal costs per fraction (e.g. machine time, OBI, etc.) it makes sense financially to fractionate (not just biologically :laugh: ). In the case of heavy ions, their excellent dose distrubution coupled with their very high RBE probably render conventional fractionation irrelevant. Most probably, heavy ions can achieve in a week what covnetionaly fractionated photons/protons would take 1.5 months to accomplish.

In Europe/Asia cost-effectiveness in health care makes this type of approach more viable. In the US, barring any shake-ups in reimbursements, our health care model will almost certainly de-accelerate acceptance and usage of heavy ions.

I would imagine that carbon ions would get reimbursed higher per fraction than photons though? Still though, even if carbon ion therapy was more widely adopted, it'd still be only really useful for certain populations (ie. pediatric patients, some CNS or pelvic stuff with critical structures nearby, etc) and resistant tumors. It definitely won't be cost-effective to use carbons for everything.

Pretty cool stuff though! When the last slide with video clips of the HITC came up at the presentation the other day, you could hear everyone in the room just moan. :laugh:

Last edited:
67-75Gy mizoe; 2007*(1994-2002)*PMID 17459607*-- "Phase I/II clinical trial of carbon ion radiotherapy for malignant gliomas: combined X-ray radiotherapy, chemotherapy, and carbon ion radiotherapy." (Mizoe JE, Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2007 Oct 1;69(2):390-6. Epub 2007 Apr 24.)
• Phase I/II. 48 patients, malignant glioma (AA 16, GBM 32). Photons 50/25 + carbon ion dose escalation 16.8/8 -> 18.4/8 -> 20/8 -> 22.4/8 -> 24.8/8 GyE. Chemotherapy ACNU
• Outcome: median OS GBM: low dose 7 months vs. intermediate dose 19 months vs. high dose 26 months. Median OS AA: 15 months vs. 35 months vs. 56 months
• Toxicity: No Grade 3+, Grade 2 clinical 8%, Grade 2 radiographic 8%
• Conclusion: Combined therapy shows potential efficacy; improved survival with higher carbon dose
This was the study that actually initially piqued my interest in high-LET therapy. Definitely cool results for GBM (at the high dose) when the current gold standard has an MS of around 15 months! They only had 5 patients in the high dose group though, if I remember correctly. Now that the HITC is fully operational (and the gantry will be opening up next year supposedly), I'm hoping to see clinical trials comparing carbon ions vs photons + TMZ for primary GBM. They currently have a trial ongoing evaluating carbon ions for recurrent and/or progressive gliomas (the CINDERELLA trial) and another one comparing carbon ion boosts vs proton boosts after photons (the CLEOPATRA trial). But the initial Japanese data has been very enticing! Not sure of any trials for heavy ion therapy for GBM ongoing at the NIRS currently though.

if i knew half of what i read (or skimmed) in this page, i would parade around with a sign around my head reading "genious"
lol...

They currently have a trial ongoing evaluating carbon ions for recurrent and/or progressive gliomas (the CINDERELLA trial) and another one comparing carbon ion boosts vs proton boosts after photons (the CLEOPATRA trial). But the initial Japanese data has been very enticing! Not sure of any trials for heavy ion therapy for GBM ongoing at the NIRS currently though.

My salute to those who came up with CINDERELLA and CLEOPATRA. RTOG needs people with more creativity!

My research is on particle therapy and I've had the chance to visit HIT and a number of proton only facilities. HIT is extremely impressive and is even set up to run oxygen ions through the gantry for future research.

While the US doesn't currently have carbon, there are many institutions that have been making noise about getting a facility for a while. Mayo and UT Southwestern are names that come up often. As previously mentioned, Medicare is always cited as the reason that a facility has not been built, when people can't seem to write checks fast enough for new proton facilities (well at least up until recently).

Carbon does have very high dose localization and a nice peak to plateau RBE ratio, but it's important to take into account the relatively long tail of high-LET fragments (distal dose). Basically that means that protons will be more suitable in some situations. There are always trade-offs.

It's certainly one of the most interesting things out there right now.

Members don't see this ad :)
My research is on particle therapy and I've had the chance to visit HIT and a number of proton only facilities. HIT is extremely impressive and is even set up to run oxygen ions through the gantry for future research.

I'm jealous that you got to visit the HITC! I really would love to see it in person.

While the US doesn't currently have carbon, there are many institutions that have been making noise about getting a facility for a while. Mayo and UT Southwestern are names that come up often. As previously mentioned, Medicare is always cited as the reason that a facility has not been built, when people can't seem to write checks fast enough for new proton facilities (well at least up until recently).

Yea, UT Southwestern seems to be interested in having carbon ion capabilities sometime in the future.

Carbon does have very high dose localization and a nice peak to plateau RBE ratio, but it's important to take into account the relatively long tail of high-LET fragments (distal dose). Basically that means that protons will be more suitable in some situations. There are always trade-offs.

It's certainly one of the most interesting things out there right now.

Yea, the fragmentation tail would definitely have to be included in the treatment plans so as to avoid damage to normal tissue. I don't think the tail is that long though (not entirely sure about this since my physics knowledge is a bit dusty) and, if I remember correctly, the length of the tail is pretty heavily dependent on the energy of the beam.

I can really only see protons being superior to carbon ions in cases where you absolutely have to make sure certain critical structures don't receive any dose. At least, based on the understanding of the basic science behind high-LET radiotherapy, it seems to me like the radiobiological effect carbon ions have (ie. clustered, complex DNA damage that not only has significantly slower repair kinetics compared to photons/protons, but is also less likely to be repaired) would outweigh, in most cases, the negative effects the fragmentation tail might have on normal tissues. Especially if the treatment plans actively take into account the tail and try to avoid normal tissue damage.

I'm definitely ridiculously excited to see that there are more clinical trials taking place with carbon ion therapy though! It's definitely a very interesting area of research! :)

You are also correct in that (a) heavy ions have a far higher relative biological effectiveness (RBE) than protons or photons and (b) heavy ions allow for novel approaches to functional imaging including ways to actually "see" the radiation dose distribution immediately after a fraction.
I have a question regarding this. So, from what I understand, some of the nuclear reactions that take place during heavy ion therapy result in the production of positrons that can allow you to detect the dose distribution via PET. My question is, is this something that you can do in real time? Ie. can you do a PET at the same time as you're delivering the dose? Or would you need to wait until the dose delivery is done before taking the patient over to a PET scanner and seeing the dose distribution all the way at the end?

I'm familiar with the basic linac, etc, but that's about it, so I'm curious to know if we have the technology to simultaneously do a PET during the process of delivering the dose (if we're capable of doing that, I would imagine that the distal tail that heavy ions have would be less of a worry since you'd be able to change things on the fly). If the answer is yes, that's ridiculously cool! :D

The answer is yes. You can do the PET immediately afterwards. There are a number of studies in Pubmed like this, here is one.
Thanks for the link. Appreciate it. I guess my PubMed searches really sucked because one of the key words I included in my searches was real-time and I kept getting no hits. Sorry about that...

I'll read through the article and related ones when I get the chance to next week (very busy this current week, unfortunately).

There have been a handful of proposed ways to do online or near-online "dose imaging" and range verification for particle therapy. PET with beam induced positron emitters, CT with prompt gamma emissions, MRI of spinal marrow, and (craziest of all) direct dose imaging of annihilation pions from antiproton therapy.

MRI range verification: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20472369
Prompt gamma emission: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19131673
Antiproton dose imaging: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20134083

My salute to those who came up with CINDERELLA and CLEOPATRA. RTOG needs people with more creativity!

Ditto that!

CINDERELLA and CLEOPATRA are certainly catchy trial names. Do they actually stand for anything, though? Searching the web and looking at the publication, I've been unable to find out if they're acronyms or just names that someone made up to sound cool.

As an aside, it's my goal in life to come up with a trial with a dirty sounding acronym. Someday, I want residents to be quoting data from the QUEEF trial or MILF trial or something along that line.

Brim,

If you need funding for the QUEEF or MILF trial, send me PM.

-S

Ditto that!

CINDERELLA and CLEOPATRA are certainly catchy trial names. Do they actually stand for anything, though?
Definitely easier to remember than "RTOG-blah blah blah." :laugh:

I haven't found anything regarding if they actually stand for anything either. Maybe I'll email Dr. Combs one of these days to ask haha...

Werg, thanks for the links! The antiproton stuff is ridiculous (but awesome!)! I'll try to read through the literature you linked as well as the ones GFunk linked later on this week (very busy over the next few days unfortunately).

More cool-sounding trial names for you guys getting excited over CLEOPATRA and CINDERELLA:

COSMIC: Phase II trial evaluating IMRT + carbon ions in salivary gland tumors (PMID: 20937120)

MARCIE
: Phase II trial looking at a carbon ion boost after photon radiotherapy for atypical meningiomas (PMID: 21062428).

CINDERELLA = Randomised phase I/II study to evaluate carbon ion radiotherapy versus fractionated steretotactic radiotherapy in patients with recurrent or progressive gliomas

The letters are italicized in the original publication title.

I think this will be an interesting trial but agree with some of the previous posts that dose escalation with more conventional approaches (i.e., not ion beams) has not really panned out as a major advance for treating high-grade gliomas. 60 Gy only gets you so far. Better drug agents are probably necessary to inactivate/kill the stray cells that can not be realistically treated with radiation.

Also, one of the problems with the apparently 'sharp' dose fall-offs with heavy charged particles is the not-insignificant uncertainty in where the beams actually range out in tissue, which mandates additional dosimetric margin. This is one reason why IMRT photon treatments can indeed rival conformality achieved with protons or heavier ions. The treatment tail of nuclear fragmentation products seen carbon or other heavy ion beams is also not to be taken too lightly.

With all that said, it's fascinating technology and even more fascinating radiobiology. Preclinical and clinical studies will spell out the real role for these types of treatments.

I think this will be an interesting trial but agree with some of the previous posts that dose escalation with more conventional approaches (i.e., not ion beams) has not really panned out as a major advance for treating high-grade gliomas. 60 Gy only gets you so far. Better drug agents are probably necessary to inactivate/kill the stray cells that can not be realistically treated with radiation.

Like Ray pointed out, there isn't any definitive data regarding dose escalation for GBMs. The literature that's out there shows both positive and negative effects of dose escalation. I would be hard pressed to say that going beyond 60 Gy for GBMs is useless. With that being said, however, I'm really looking forward to the results of the phase II trial looking at radiotherapy + TMZ + ABT-888 against GBMs. I'm predicting that this treatment will become the new gold standard over the Stupp protocol, based on the very impressive preclinical data we have regarding PARP inhibitors.

Also, one of the problems with the apparently 'sharp' dose fall-offs with heavy charged particles is the not-insignificant uncertainty in where the beams actually range out in tissue, which mandates additional dosimetric margin. This is one reason why IMRT photon treatments can indeed rival conformality achieved with protons or heavier ions. The treatment tail of nuclear fragmentation products seen carbon or other heavy ion beams is also not to be taken too lightly.

With all that said, it's fascinating technology and even more fascinating radiobiology. Preclinical and clinical studies will spell out the real role for these types of treatments.

From what I understand, there's actually a fairly good understanding of the range, and dosimetry, of ion beams. Care to extrapolate more on this? And, if the dose distribution can be "seen" in real-time (or almost real-time), the tail resulting from nuclear fragmentation isn't much of a worry. If the beam can be changed on the fly to conform to the tumor, who cares? Preclinical data has already shown carbon ions to be superior at certain sites (ie. GBM) and that the radiobiology behind carbon ions (and heavy ions in general) can overcome the deficits of photon therapy, particularly when dealing with hypoxic cells (which pose more of a danger than the cells susceptible to photons).

And, like I mentioned before, while I don't have specific studies to support me, it would seem that cancer stem cells (which would be the part of the tumor that we should worry about the most, rather than the bulk of the tumor, based on what evidence we currently have) would be more susceptible to undergoing cell death when treated with carbon ions rather than photons. And this has to do with the differential radiobiology of carbon ions. Carbon ions result in complex, clustered DNA damage that is more likely to be unrepairable, compared to photons. With a carbon ion beam, not only can you dose paint, but you can also LET-paint, which would, in theory, result in greater local control than photons can offer at certain sites.

Like I said previously though, I'm well-versed with GBMs, but not so much with other sites. Can IMRT really rival the dose distribution of protons (and heavy ions) at other sites? From what I understand, tomotherapy and arc-based therapies (ie. VMAT) can result in even better dose distribution (and quicker dose delivery) compared to IMRT, but I'm not very well versed in the literature behind this other than a few review articles that I've read.

Nowhere in my post did I say that escalation beyond 60 Gy was "useless." If you look again at Raygun77's post, the "positive" dose escalation studies were not randomized phase III trials. A phase I/II study can give tantalizing results worthy of further study, but many therapies that look promising in the phase II setting wither under the rigor of a phase III study.

Notice that the two phase III (not phase II, not institutional reports) studies he mentions- RTOG 93-05 and RTOG 74-01/ECOG 1374- showed no benefit to dose escalation beyond the "standard." I am not suggesting that no patients will ever benefit from escalation beyond ~60 Gy (a dose that was itself established through a phase III trial)- just like not all patients may need 60 Gy- and the peculiar radiobiology of carbon irradiation may be beneficial for some patients, for issues of hypoxia, higher 'quality' of DNA damage, whatever.

Again, as I said in my original post, "Preclinical and clinical studies will spell out the real role for these types of treatments." Dose escalation is not dead for GBM, but we also have to respect the results of existing phase III studies and also remember that there are many tumors we treat for which indiscriminate dose escalation will only take you so far. There are many examples in oncology where a bigger hammer was not the answer. Things like PARP inhibitors and other rationally designed targeted therapies should be explored with at least as much fervor as particle therapy.

As for the tumor stem cell issue, again this is a controversial area. There are preclincal studies that suggest cancer stem cells are relatively radioresistant (PMID: 17051156), and thus may benefit from the types of DNA damage induced by things like carbon ions. Although the Nature paper from Duke suggested that glioma stem cells are relatively radioresistant, other studies have not shown this, suggesting that carbon ions would not be necessary to overcome their resistance. Please look at PMID: 19671863. As with many other things regarding gliomas, we have much to learn about the role of this intriguing subset of cells.

Absolutely IMRT with photons can rival the conformality achieved with particles; however, it's at the expense of increased integral energy deposition compared to particle therapy. Thus the continued interest in particles even with highly sophisticated photon therapies available.

Finally, the "good understanding of the range, and dosimetry, of ion beams" is that we know enough to say that we do not know where the beams range out in tissue within several mm for many scenarios. Thus the SOBP must encompass this uncertainty. I am saying this from experience with protons- I am admittedly not experienced with the situation with heavier ions (and also acknowledge that this is underappreciated even for photon therapy). Please read PMID: 11286851 for more information on this.

This uncertainty in range has significant implications for beam design in proton therapy, with or without use of intensity modulation methods. If the range uncertainty is such that your beam may range out into a critical structure, you have to think twice about using that beam, especially since the RBE is highest at/near the end of a proton beam's range. If you look at proton beam arrangements for treatment of numerous tumor sites, you will notice that the beams often are designed to avoid this very problem. Use of things like proton CT and other methods can limit this uncertainty, but proton CT and things like PET imaging to map the pathway of heavy ions are not widely available at particle treatment facilities at the current time.

CINDERELLA = Randomised phase I/II study to evaluate carbon ion radiotherapy versus fractionated steretotactic radiotherapy in patients with recurrent or progressive gliomas

The letters are italicized in the original publication title.

That's a bit of a stretch...
Thanks for pointing this out, though.

They don't even have the 2nd L in CINDERELLA. They should have just made it a recursive acronym. That would be cool (and then they could have gotten that 2nd L):
"Randomised phase I/II study to evaluate
carbon ion radiotherapy versus fractionated stereotactic
radiotherapy in patients with recurrent or
progressive gliomas: The CINDERELLA trial"​

I've been seriously thinking of adding a list of trial acronyms to the radonc wikibook -- not that it would actually be useful to anyone, but I just found it interesting. I've been compiling a (short) list offline.

Nowhere in my post did I say that escalation beyond 60 Gy was "useless." If you look again at Raygun77's post, the "positive" dose escalation studies were not randomized phase III trials. A phase I/II study can give tantalizing results worthy of further study, but many therapies that look promising in the phase II setting wither under the rigor of a phase III study.

Notice that the two phase III (not phase II, not institutional reports) studies he mentions- RTOG 93-05 and RTOG 74-01/ECOG 1374- showed no benefit to dose escalation beyond the "standard." I am not suggesting that no patients will ever benefit from escalation beyond ~60 Gy (a dose that was itself established through a phase III trial)- just like not all patients may need 60 Gy- and the peculiar radiobiology of carbon irradiation may be beneficial for some patients, for issues of hypoxia, higher 'quality' of DNA damage, whatever.

Sorry for my late response. I really do apologize if my previous post implied that you mentioned dose escalation for GBM was useless. I did not mean to imply that at all and, if it came across like I did, it was really unintentional. So, I do fully apologize for that and for not being clear.

With that being said, I do agree with you that phase III trials don't show any benefit of dose escalation. And, unfortunately, I don't think it's likely that we'll see future dose escalation phase III studies. You're right that I didn't solely take phase III's into account when I made my previous statement.

Again, as I said in my original post, "Preclinical and clinical studies will spell out the real role for these types of treatments." Dose escalation is not dead for GBM, but we also have to respect the results of existing phase III studies and also remember that there are many tumors we treat for which indiscriminate dose escalation will only take you so far. There are many examples in oncology where a bigger hammer was not the answer. Things like PARP inhibitors and other rationally designed targeted therapies should be explored with at least as much fervor as particle therapy.

This, I definitely agree with you about. I'm actually working with PARP inhibitors and radiosensitization of GBMs. Like I mentioned previously, I'm extremely excited to see the results of the current phase II (IIRC) trial looking at TMZ + ABT-888 + radiotherapy against GBMs. With all the preclinical data I have looked at, as well as being immersed in this area of research, I'm predicting that the results of this trial will be positive (especially since ~40% of GBMs tend to be PTEN -/-, which really sensitizes them to the action of PARP inhibitors). I'm fully for the research into radiosensitizers and radioprotectors. With that being said, however, I do think that the differential DNA damage induced by particle therapy offers advantages that even radiosensitizers might not provide (this is purely speculative, based on the studies I've read, and I don't have any hard evidence to back this statement...so please don't rip me apart for this! :)). Like I mentioned in my OP though, while I'm fairly well-versed in the basic science behind these things, I don't know what impact they would have in the clinic; I just do not have the clinical background to assess studies in that manner. So, I truly appreciate all the responses I've gotten from you guys (even when they point out that I've made some foolish statements :oops:)!

As for the tumor stem cell issue, again this is a controversial area. There are preclincal studies that suggest cancer stem cells are relatively radioresistant (PMID: 17051156), and thus may benefit from the types of DNA damage induced by things like carbon ions. Although the Nature paper from Duke suggested that glioma stem cells are relatively radioresistant, other studies have not shown this, suggesting that carbon ions would not be necessary to overcome their resistance. Please look at PMID: 19671863. As with many other things regarding gliomas, we have much to learn about the role of this intriguing subset of cells.

It's very coincidental, but I'm actually reading through the McCord paper right now. I came across it about 2.5 weeks ago and started reading through it last week, so it's funny that you mention it as well! The reason I brought up the CSC stuff a couple of times is because, being involved in basic/translational research, I hear about CSC very, very often. So, it's near the front of my thoughts regarding research a lot of the time. My reasoning was based on the Nature paper by Bao, et al, which suggested that glioma stem cells have a more robust DNA damage response which contributes to their radioresistance (PMID: 17051156). However, I am reading through the McCord paper right now and will definitely comment on it in this thread after I finish analyzing it. If the Nature paper turns out to be further supported (ie. the idea of a more robust DDR), I would imagine that particle therapy would be more effective against CSCs. However, I'm fully open to changing my opinion based on the McCord paper and future studies that support the idea that glioma stem cells aren't radioresistant due to a better DDR.

Absolutely IMRT with photons can rival the conformality achieved with particles; however, it's at the expense of increased integral energy deposition compared to particle therapy. Thus the continued interest in particles even with highly sophisticated photon therapies available.

I truly did not know this, so forgive my previous ignorant comments. It's been hard finding good articles comparing technologies in a manner that I can understand them (of course, it's entirely possible that my keywords in PubMed just suck).

Finally, the "good understanding of the range, and dosimetry, of ion beams" is that we know enough to say that we do not know where the beams range out in tissue within several mm for many scenarios. Thus the SOBP must encompass this uncertainty. I am saying this from experience with protons- I am admittedly not experienced with the situation with heavier ions (and also acknowledge that this is underappreciated even for photon therapy). Please read PMID: 11286851 for more information on this.

This uncertainty in range has significant implications for beam design in proton therapy, with or without use of intensity modulation methods. If the range uncertainty is such that your beam may range out into a critical structure, you have to think twice about using that beam, especially since the RBE is highest at/near the end of a proton beam's range. If you look at proton beam arrangements for treatment of numerous tumor sites, you will notice that the beams often are designed to avoid this very problem. Use of things like proton CT and other methods can limit this uncertainty, but proton CT and things like PET imaging to map the pathway of heavy ions are not widely available at particle treatment facilities at the current time.

I really appreciate this part of your post and I thank you for mentioning it. My understanding is that, unlike with proton beams, the dose distribution of heavy ion beams can be "seen" due to positron emission (using PET). If this is the case, how hard is it to figure out where the ion beams range out? Even in preclinical models. I really don't mean this question to come off sarcastically and I hope you don't see it that way; I'm genuinely curious since, in my mind, it seems like it should be a relatively easy question to answer. But, since I'm not a physicist, I don't know what methods you can use to accurately answer the question. Maybe Werg can weigh in on this matter?

And please, do continue to post in this thread and point out things that I'm ignorant of. I will absolutely not take it as an insult and I absolutely love learning more about this topic, so I truly do appreciate all your responses! Like I've said, I don't have a clinical background, so your perspective is pretty different than the way I view things. And it's nice to get a sense of the clinically relevant aspects of this type of work.

Last edited:
I've been seriously thinking of adding a list of trial acronyms to the radonc wikibook -- not that it would actually be useful to anyone, but I just found it interesting. I've been compiling a (short) list offline.
Are there trial acronyms for the RTOG trials? I've always just forced myself to memorize them as "RTOG-blah blah blah" but if they have cool acronyms, it would be so much easier to remember them accurately! :D

I still haven't found compelling reasons behind the names of CINDERELLA, COSMIC, PROMETHEUS, CLEOPATRA, etc. But I will say that it's definitely easier to remember what each of these studies is assessing because it's not some random number to memorize!

I really appreciate this part of your post and I thank you for mentioning it. My understanding is that, unlike with proton beams, the dose distribution of heavy ion beams can be "seen" due to positron emission (using PET). If this is the case, how hard is it to figure out where the ion beams range out? Even in preclinical models. I really don't mean this question to come off sarcastically and I hope you don't see it that way; I'm genuinely curious since, in my mind, it seems like it should be a relatively easy question to answer. But, since I'm not a physicist, I don't know what methods you can use to accurately answer the question. Maybe Werg can weigh in on this matter?
Anyone have a response to this part of my post? Since the dose distribution with heavy ions can be "seen" using PET, what makes it so hard to figure out the range of these particles in tissue? Like I mentioned previously, it seems like it should be an easy question to answer but, obviously, I could be wrong since I'm not involved in the physics side of this type of work.

Anyone have a response to this part of my post? Since the dose distribution with heavy ions can be "seen" using PET, what makes it so hard to figure out the range of these particles in tissue? Like I mentioned previously, it seems like it should be an easy question to answer but, obviously, I could be wrong since I'm not involved in the physics side of this type of work.

In principle it is possible to perform "dose imaging" with PET for carbon beams. In practice it is not straight forward, highly accurate, or well developed. You can think of the PET images you've seen and imagine that the positron emitter concentration is (probably) even lower in the case of carbon beam dose imaging. Once you have performed PET, you need to inversely solve for a dose distribution that would result in the detected PET scan.

Kepler makes good points with regards to protons. Several methods are under investigation to improve planning (proton CT) and improve delivery and QA (dose imaging with PET, prompt gammas, etc). But none are well developed or widespread.

One of the biggest issues about range uncertainty is motion. Since tissue density and composition has such a large effect on ion beam range, motion can be particularly problematic. For this region, large margins and certain other techniques are necessary.

Photons are a double edged sword or sorts. On the one hand, they don't provide the conformity/sparing possible with charged particles, but they are more robust against uncertainties as far as uniformity.

Looks like another group was also interested in the CLEOPATRA acronym:

PMID 21147694

Regarding carbon ion radiotherapy for prostate cancer: PMID: 21187497

Phase III trial starting up comparing carbon ions to protons for low and intermediate grade chondrosarcomas of the skull base: PMID: 21050498

No cool acronym for the phase III study though!