Cardiac Anesthesia - book

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DreamMachine

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Today I participated in a CABG with an upper level. Both the upper level and attending recommended this book:

Practical Approach to Cardiac Anesthesia by Hensley, Martin, and Gravlee

Anybody with any experience with this book? Just flipping through it, it seemed awful dense, not that I expect any less. Is this the best cardiac anesthesia text out there? I will likely wait until I am on a heart rotation before I buy it. Also wondering what other recommendations people had?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
A simplified option is Handbook of Cardiac Anesthesia and Perioperative Care: A Demythologized Approach by Wasnick(ISBN 0-7506-9748-2). It is a nice simple book for beginners and walks you through some of the complexities. It is certainly not the end all reference, but is a nice starting point. Just my $0.02.

DreamMachine said:
Today I participated in a CABG with an upper level. Both the upper level and attending recommended this book:

Practical Approach to Cardiac Anesthesia by Hensley, Martin, and Gravlee

Anybody with any experience with this book? Just flipping through it, it seemed awful dense, not that I expect any less. Is this the best cardiac anesthesia text out there? I will likely wait until I am on a heart rotation before I buy it. Also wondering what other recommendations people had?

one of our professors, don martin, co-authored that book. i have it. it's great, very detailed (maybe too detailed for a "casual" read), and i've found it a useful reference even for non-cardiac cases/non-anesthesia cardiology stuff. dr. martin is an all-around great guy too. i would recommend. of course, i got a courtesy copy so i didn't have to shell out for it. take that for what it's worth. :laugh:

VolatileAgent said:
one of our professors, don martin, co-authored that book. i have it. it's great, very detailed (maybe too detailed for a "casual" read), and i've found it a useful reference even for non-cardiac cases/non-anesthesia cardiology stuff. dr. martin is an all-around great guy too. i would recommend. of course, i got a courtesy copy so i didn't have to shell out for it. take that for what it's worth. :laugh:

I was in the OR with Don Martin last week. Geesh!!!! that guy is hella nice! Super smart too. Lot of fun to work with. Night before was like... so what toy do you want to use tomorrow.... we decided it was going to be a lightwand day.... :thumbup: :thumbup: