cardiac anesthesiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

studmuffin2005

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone who what are the top programs for cardiac anesthesiology??

What is the lifestyle like in private practice??

Members don't see this ad.

most people find there is no financial benefit to doing a cardiac gas fellowship...either you don't get paid more, or it'll never be enough to make up for the year you missed as a fellow.

often, your hours may be no better b/c you are qualified to do all the normal stuff plus are viewed as one of the few that can handle hearts well.

you'll do more complicated and stressful cases (which may be what you want) but be paid the same or not much more.

these are reasons most cardiac fellowships go unfilled. however, many FMGs from no-name programs have improved their job options greatly by doing fellowships at Mass General type places. however, the job market is so good now that the end benefit is debatable.

another perspective is that younger CT surgeons like to have someone profficient with intraoperative TEEs, wheras older ones are comfortable without them. however, hospitals don't really make money on heart surgery...they would prefer to have one heart surgeon who gets fed barely enough to keep him on staff so he can clean up the messes that come from the cath lab, where the hospital makes boku bucks (and they can't have a cath lab without a ct surgeon).

hope this wasn't jank you already knew.

To kind of answer your first question. If you are looking at the SE at all, look at Emory. They have a pretty strong cardiac fellowship. Several of their faculty have written many chapters in cardiac textbooks. From my elective there I found their faculty were friendly, willing to teach, are good teachers, and are well respected inside the hospital. The fellows I worked with were sharp and as a whole pretty laid back. They seemed to have a very collegial relationship with the attendings.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there any fellowship in anesthesia that is lucrative? It seems like pediatrics is not (more complicated cases....but not as much compensation). Cardiac has already been discussed above.

What about pain....would it be worth it to do a fellowship? Yes, I am interested in making the big bucks, but I have shadowed a few pain physicians...it seems like laid back, but interesting work. I have searched through the forums, and most people seem to think that the potential for increased income is there, but the hassles of dealing with the DEA/drug addicts is a drag.

What if you wanted to practice in a small city....like in kentucky/alabama/alaska, other "undesirable locations" etc. Is it still possible to establish a thriving pain practice (>$600,000 yr?)

Sorry about the money aspect of my post....I know it will upset some of you :oops: . I just want to know what it is like out in the real world...outside of academics.

invitro said:
Is there any fellowship in anesthesia that is lucrative? It seems like pediatrics is not (more complicated cases....but not as much compensation). Cardiac has already been discussed above.

What about pain....would it be worth it to do a fellowship? Yes, I am interested in making the big bucks, but I have shadowed a few pain physicians...it seems like laid back, but interesting work. I have searched through the forums, and most people seem to think that the potential for increased income is there, but the hassles of dealing with the DEA/drug addicts is a drag.

What if you wanted to practice in a small city....like in kentucky/alabama/alaska, other "undesirable locations" etc. Is it still possible to establish a thriving pain practice (>$600,000 yr?)

Sorry about the money aspect of my post....I know it will upset some of you :oops: . I just want to know what it is like out in the real world...outside of academics.

there are 2 pain doctors here in Mississippi in a group and each make over 1M a year.

edit: also i want to add that my cousin did a pain fellowship. He is in a group in Tennessee and just built 1M dollar house a few years ago.

peace

I'm happy to know that you know people who are making so enough money in Miss so that they can take advantage of all the cultural activities that can be had in that great state. UMiss football? Intimidating blacks not to vote? Maintaining the greatest disparity between rich and poor in the union? Drving around in my pick-up with my Confederate flag on the bumper sticker? Going to Wal-Mart for my groceries? Taking holiday in the other great state of 'Bama?

You couldn't pay me enough money to live in that godforsaken state or most of the other states in the Union. Give me some culture, some diversity, and some buildings over 10 stories high.

Making money and not having anything to spend it on seems like a waste of life.

PGY-10 said:
I'm happy to know that you know people who are making so enough money in Miss so that they can take advantage of all the cultural activities that can be had in that great state. UMiss football? Intimidating blacks not to vote? Maintaining the greatest disparity between rich and poor in the union? Drving around in my pick-up with my Confederate flag on the bumper sticker? Going to Wal-Mart for my groceries? Taking holiday in the other great state of 'Bama?

Let me guess.

The only cities which are livable in this country are NYC and LA?

Grow up.

NYC, San Fran, LA, Miami are liveable cities. I don't see alot of modeling agencies setting up shop in Miss.

PGY-10 said:

You couldn't pay me enough money to live in that godforsaken state or most of the other states in the Union. Give me some culture, some diversity, and some buildings over 10 stories high.

Making money and not having anything to spend it on seems like a waste of life.

I knew we should have got rid of you Yankies a long time ago!
:smuggrin: :D

PGY-10-

Would you consider living in an out-of-the-way place for about 8 years if you could make a ton of money there, and then move to the city you want? I wonder why more people don't think about doing this...i guess they get addicted to making the money...

What surprises me the most about this thread is that there might be 10-story buildings in Mississippi!

the amazing disappearing act