Cardiac Fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

darkmansaad

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm strongly considering applying for a cardiac anesthesia fellowship....however have no real idea of how competitive it is out there or what exactly do programs look for. ITE scores? Letters? USMLE? And some people say I will find a spot somewhere as opposed to others that go on about how competitive it has gotten in recent years. Any information from those who recently matched or are involved in the selection process that would help answer my questions would be GREATLY appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Recently went through the process this past cycle. According to quite a few program directors, it is definitely getting more competitive each year. This year, there were several people that did not get positions. I had program directors tell me that they got upwards of 40 applications for only 2 spots. Granted, a lot of applicants probably "shot-gunned" the process and applied to a high number of programs (I certainly did this because I am a DO). I would recommend for any FMGs or DO to apply to a higher number of programs. In addition, CT Anesthesia will be implementing the SF Match for this next cycle. I would imagine this would mean that programs will have to interview more candidates, but am unsure.

As for what the programs look for...it is hard to say as every PD might be interested in something else. Some will favor board scores, ITE/AKT scores. Some will put heavy weight on LORs. Some will go searching for what research experience you have.

One thing that was almost universally recommended was that you should only look for accredited fellowship programs, otherwise you could not get TEE certification.

Overall, applied to 15 programs and got 5 interviews and subsequently got 2 offers. Luckily, one of those offers was to my #1 choice, so I am ecstatic.

Hope this helps. Best of luck during the match.

OP -

sethco's advice is spot on. I would only add the same stuff you heard applying for residency - get letters early, and apply as early as you can. And if you know someone that can call a place on your behalf...that always helps.

Good luck!

dc