Cardio

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bsmith

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am considering doing a residency in the future and I am really interested in cardiovascular drugs and pharmacy related to the cardiovascular system (I know, pretty lame). What do you guys think would be the best residency route to persue this avenue............a general residency and then what?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
On a side note, I am not in favor of statin drugs. They are VASTLY over-prescribed, and, IMPO, should rarely be given to healthy individuals.

Max

bsmith said:
I am considering doing a residency in the future and I am really interested in cardiovascular drugs and pharmacy related to the cardiovascular system (I know, pretty lame). What do you guys think would be the best residency route to persue this avenue............a general residency and then what?

For your first year of a residency program - you should look for a program that has a focus on cardiology patients or patients. This should be fairly easy to find, as there are many programs that would meet this critieria. There are currently 5 ASHP accredited specialized residencies in the country (Boston Medical Center, Midwestern University in Glendale AZ, THe Universtiy of Arizona University Medical Center, THomas Jefferson University Hospital - Philadelphia, University of Oklahoma, and the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center). You can find information about each of these programs on the ASHP website - with their on line residency directory. You can search for the specialized programs in cardiology or other specialized areas. These programs would be looking for candidates that had already completed their first year of a pharmacy practice residency.

ASHP1 said:
For your first year of a residency program - you should look for a program that has a focus on cardiology patients or patients. This should be fairly easy to find, as there are many programs that would meet this critieria. There are currently 5 ASHP accredited specialized residencies in the country (Boston Medical Center, Midwestern University in Glendale AZ, THe Universtiy of Arizona University Medical Center, THomas Jefferson University Hospital - Philadelphia, University of Oklahoma, and the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center). You can find information about each of these programs on the ASHP website - with their on line residency directory. You can search for the specialized programs in cardiology or other specialized areas. These programs would be looking for candidates that had already completed their first year of a pharmacy practice residency.

I'd agree w/ the idea to look for a pharmacy practice w/ a strong cardio component. However, you may be able to incorporate a large majority of your cardio interests w/i the large umbrella of of crititical care (which would typically require a general practice then critical care residency, depending on how far you want to take it and whether your interests are primarily inpt vs ambulatory or a combination of the two). Ideally a you might be best suited by doing a pharmacy practice where the option is open to continue your training at the same practice site so you can have some continuation assuming you enjoy the facilities and preceptors. You may want to take a look at www.accp.com and view their residency/fellowhip search engine
(http://www.accp.com/resandfel/). Univ of KY would be an example of a place where you could do the pharm practice, critical care, and even fellowship in cardio in same location if you like
(http://www.mc.uky.edu/pharmacy/faculty/wendellakers.html). There are about 23 cardio fellowships/residencies available.