cardiologist

BMcCord

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What classes are neccessary in high school and college to become a Cardiologist. For college what are the classes like. If you can help please reply thank you

Members don't see this ad.

What you take in high school and college are irrelevant to becoming a Cardiologist. Focus on getting good grades for now. Cardiologists are trained as follows:

1. High School
2. College
3. Medical School
4. Residency in Internal Medicine
5. Fellowship to sub-specialize in Cardiology

So, you have a decade + until you are auditioning for Cardiology.

What you take in high school and college are irrelevant to becoming a Cardiologist. Focus on getting good grades for now. Cardiologists are trained as follows:

1. High School
2. College
3. Medical School
4. Residency in Internal Medicine
5. Fellowship to sub-specialize in Cardiology

So, you have a decade + until you are auditioning for Cardiology.

Thats not true at all. Cardiology is very competitive. If you want a realistic chance of getting in, you need to start preparing now! In high school take as many AP or IB classes as you can, especially in the sciences and make sure you get As. If you do not have basically straight As in high school the chances if you being able to handle the rigors of college and become a cardiologist are very slim. Make sure you take classes such as anatomy in high school, and spend extra time studying the heart.

Next you should start prepping for the MCAT durring your senior year of high school, not a lot, but 4-ish hours a week. This way the material will be second nature to you by the time you take the exam.

You should also look into becoming an EKG tech, you should start practicing reading EKGs now, so that when medical school starts you will be able to impress doctors and gain LOR. You should also start shadowing a cardiologist immediately, you will need to shadow 1 for several hundred hours.

tl:;dr: Nothing you do now matters, just have fun and get good grades in college.

Members don't see this ad :)
just worry about getting good grades now

Thank you for all of your helpful replys. I really appreciate the help.

Thats not true at all. Cardiology is very competitive. If you want a realistic chance of getting in, you need to start preparing now! In high school take as many AP or IB classes as you can, especially in the sciences and make sure you get As. If you do not have basically straight As in high school the chances if you being able to handle the rigors of college and become a cardiologist are very slim. Make sure you take classes such as anatomy in high school, and spend extra time studying the heart.

Next you should start prepping for the MCAT durring your senior year of high school, not a lot, but 4-ish hours a week. This way the material will be second nature to you by the time you take the exam.

You should also look into becoming an EKG tech, you should start practicing reading EKGs now, so that when medical school starts you will be able to impress doctors and gain LOR. You should also start shadowing a cardiologist immediately, you will need to shadow 1 for several hundred hours.

tl:;dr: Nothing you do now matters, just have fun and get good grades in college.

Wow. Now that's what I call a plan!

Oh man, theduck, I was so ready to tear right into you until I got to the end of your post. lol... whew
I read the first sentence, and I was like, Really? I thought I had my facts straight.

But then - iseewutudidthar.

Oh man, theduck, I was so ready to tear right into you until I got to the end of your post. lol... whew

i actually started tearing into them before i even got through what they wrote, then i posted, and read the last line before i realized the whole thing was sarcasm, and had to go back and edit, lol.

:laugh: I must admit, I'm rather proud of that post. :love:

:laugh: I must admit, I'm rather proud of that post. :love:

But consider that I actually followed your post and stressed my self out, would it be worth it?? Imma go for it!

I get the feeling OP might be the type with a sarcasm-detecting deficiency, and as a result you have created a monster.

First focus on how to get into medical school, and it all depends on your performance in med school to apply for competitive residencies.