future cardiologist

BMcCord

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im a freshman in high school trying to prepare myself for whats to come in college.So if you can help can you tell me what i will be up against becomin a cardiologist.​

Members don't see this ad.

This is what you'll be up against - http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=10594064&postcount=12

Keep an open mind and don't have your heart set on becoming a cardiologist, or even a doctor. You're a high school freshman - you don't have to worry about these things. Anything you do in high school isn't going to matter anyway. Take the time to learn about yourself, explore a variety of interests, and have fun! College is no big, don't worry about it.

Just enjoy high school. I finished my senior year of high school early (dec 2010) and thought that i wanted to go to college (university of alabama) a half a year early (this past jan.). Anyways, i moved into my dorm and the next day I realized that I wanted to stay and finish my senior year with my class and now im taking biology at a community college until the fall in which i will go back to UA. If i were you, i would shadow some different doctors so you can get a look at the medical field.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just enjoy high school. I finished my senior year of high school early (dec 2010) and thought that i wanted to go to college (university of alabama) a half a year early (this past jan.). Anyways, i moved into my dorm and the next day I realized that I wanted to stay and finish my senior year with my class and now im taking biology at a community college until the fall in which i will go back to UA. If i were you, i would shadow some different doctors so you can get a look at the medical field.

I doubt many doctors ( or patients) are really going to want a 14 year old shadowing them. There can be issues with maturity.

Op: Just do well in high school, especially in math and science, and then get into a good college. But don't forget to have fun! You're only young once, and really nothing you do in high school will make any difference in the long run with applying to medical school.

I would like to say thank you to everyone that has replyed to my post. I have dreamed of becoming a Cardiologist since I was in the fifth grade,but i also understand this dream I have can also change at any moment anyday.

Others have already hit it on the head.... really nothing for you to do now. Just have fun and do well in school and focus on getting into a decent college.

Cardio is one of the more competitive sub-specialties of Internal Medicine and is certainly a good goal to have (it's what I'm ultimately going into), but there are a TON of steps and hurdles to get through before you get close to that point.

If there is a medical school near where you live you may check and see if they have any programs for high school students. Sometimes they'll put on summer programs or "mini medical school" sessions for high school students who may be interested in medicine. Could be something to at least keep the interest up.

But really, have fun and enjoy high school.

I would like to say thank you to everyone that has replyed to my post. I have dreamed of becoming a Cardiologist since I was in the fifth grade,but i also understand this dream I have can also change at any moment anyday.

That's good! I spent the first couple years in college being super miserable because I felt "stuck" with a major I didn't like, but it was always something I'd wanted to do since I was young. Not anymore. ;)

I know my local hospital has programs for high school students to shadow, but I think the minimum age is 16. Just something to keep in mind, check out your local hospitals!

Thank you responding and helping me out with my life dream.

You could start the long road to med school and a career by serving people in need. Even a high school freshman could probably put in hours at a food bank, or after-school program for little kids, or something like that. Medicine is about helping people who need it. In fact, a lot of it is more like social work, because bad health isn't their only problem. If your eyes are opened at a young age, you can begin to see what a medical career entails.

Thank you for your help I am currently about to volunteer at a nursing home down the street from my house.

I doubt many doctors ( or patients) are really going to want a 14 year old shadowing them. There can be issues with maturity.
You are sooo right, i didnt even consider the OP's age.