Cardiology 2010-2011 application thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

atach

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
well, the time is upon us. How's everyone feeling about the whole situation? Trying to get organized for another round of eras :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

i am feeling it. trying to finish the personal statement as we speak.....

Members don't see this ad :)
few questions:

1) if a program's website says it needs 3 letters of rec, is it okay to send 4?

2) if a program doesn't mention they need my mspe letter, should i send it just to be safe?

3) same with usmle scores. should i send anyway if they don't mention it?

(eg: ucsf says they do not require mspe, med school tx, and usmle tx - would you send them anyway?)
a lot of the websites seem out-of-date.

thanks!

Last edited:
few questions:

1) if a program's website says it needs 3 letters of rec, is it okay to send 4?

2) if a program doesn't mention they need my mspe letter, should i send it just to be safe?

3) same with usmle scores. should i send anyway if they don't mention it?

(eg: ucsf says they do not require mspe, med school tx, and usmle tx - would you send them anyway?)
a lot of the websites seem out-of-date.

thanks!

Hi,
- I think most of the programs need 4 LoRs (3 plus a PD Letter), this is what I found from my program researching and talking to a few coordinators !

- I think to be on safe side ,it is better to submit a complete application including MSPE,Med School Transcript and USMLE scores ,especially if your scores are very high, I am sure it will a plus !!

Good Luck :xf:

I agree with Cardio - send everything you got. The last thing you want is to be short something, you won't get in trouble sending too much. Unless of course there's something you don't want them to see!

A problem that I am facing right now with ERAS is how to mention abstracts that are submitted to a meeting but not accepted yet. Also adding research projects that I am working on but they are not finished yet..

You can list projects as "pending" publication or presentation.

A problem that I am facing right now with ERAS is how to mention abstracts that are submitted to a meeting but not accepted yet. Also adding research projects that I am working on but they are not finished yet..

You should note it as "submitted". Likewise you may note "accepted" on anything that has been accepted but not yet in print (or online) or "in process" for anything that is currently in the works. :luck:

Thanks Guys:)
But the problem is mentioning research projects that I am currently working on which are not presented anywhere or submitted for a publication!

Thanks Guys:)
But the problem is mentioning research projects that I am currently working on which are not presented anywhere or submitted for a publication!

You can note research projects and dates under "experience". That's how it appears to us on the common application and CV sections (they mirror each other). I have no idea how the interface appears to candidates, but that's where we see research.

I started my application late and have just asked for LOR. I want to know if it is advisable to apply before the LORs are uploaded or should I wait for it.

I started my application late and have just asked for LOR. I want to know if it is advisable to apply before the LORs are uploaded or should I wait for it.

It's sort of six-of-one/half-dozen-of-the-other. My opinion is that you may as well release what you have and let the rest roll in. Some programs may casually consider what's in ERAS while awaiting the LORs. It could get you on someone's radar. Keep in mind that many won't consider your application if the letters arrive after their deadline. :luck:

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
when do we start hearing from programs? looking at the previous years threads it seems most send out interviews in jan/feb with a few in december?

hey dragonfly99,
trying to PIM you but looks like your mailbox is full!?

Anyone know if there is a disadvantage to sending in an app without all the LoRs?? Been waiting for the EFDO to upload my last LoR and transcript but they're taking a lifetime...

Anyone know if there is a disadvantage to sending in an app without all the LoRs?? Been waiting for the EFDO to upload my last LoR and transcript but they're taking a lifetime...

It's my opinion that you should go ahead and release what you have. Programs are downloading pretty regularly and will catch everything as it comes it. Releasing as early as possible will show that you're interested and not a procrastinator or decided at the last minute to apply to a program. My two cents.

:luck:

thats it-sent in my complete app with most LORs loaded-except for one from a nationally known faculty-applied wide-tried as hard as I could to improve my CV over the past year-and this is the culmination!applied abt 60% to realistic programs-and 20% each of the top and slightly lesser progs-as advised by other fellows in my program..........now begins the wait..

Guys..there are programs which require a separate payment by a pay check directly to the program in addition to ERAS application like Rush and VCU. Anybody knows other programs that do the same?

Guys..there are programs which require a separate payment by a pay check directly to the program in addition to ERAS application like Rush and VCU. Anybody knows other programs that do the same?
DUKE UNIVERSITY
A PROGRAM IN TENNESSEE (can't recall the name)

How many program are you all applying to? I'm thinking about 40. Expensive, though

-joejabjab

What I remember last year University of teneessee memphis also asked for a separate check

any interviews/rejections yet :sleep:

any interviews/rejections yet :sleep:

You poor thing. You'll need to be way more patient. For the most part candidates won't hear much until January/February. The flood usually starts around mid-January. :luck:

You poor thing. You'll need to be way more patient. For the most part candidates won't hear much until January/February. The flood usually starts around mid-January. :luck:

haha worth a shot :laugh: need something to look forward to in the gloomy winter months of residency.

love letter from U Arizona-rejection........

email......got screened out by some criteria prob not mentioned on their website-so much for $25...

first interview invite....

Baylor Houston

feb 25th. now just 9 more interview offers and i can stop sweating bullets

I know certain programs require step 3 (Duke), but a lot of websites don't comment. Does anyone know if it is most programs that require step 3 or are 1+2 sufficient.

Thanks for your help.

first interview: baylor - houston. not a baylor medicine resident. :thumbup:

first interview: baylor - houston. not a baylor medicine resident. :thumbup:

Congratulations ..Good start !

Can some one shed some light about Baylor programs ,apparently there are 3 Baylor programs in ERAS ,I am sure there must some differences ,strengths and weaknesses..etc

Thanks

Congratulations ..Good start !

Can some one shed some light about Baylor programs ,apparently there are 3 Baylor programs in ERAS ,I am sure there must some differences ,strengths and weaknesses..etc

Thanks

Baylor College of Medicine Program 1414821106
This is the main BCM program

Baylor College of Medicine/St Luke's Episcopal Hospital Program 1414821120
This is the THI program

Baylor University Medical Center Program 1414831176
This is not a BCM program. Its another university located in Dallas.

Hope it helps.

Last edited:
Vanderbilt and Cincinnati cardiology fellowship programs have not yet downloaded my application. (The Vanderbilt website says they wait until the first week of January.) Has anyone else had theirs downloaded by either of these two programs?

Vanderbilt and Cincinnati cardiology fellowship programs have not yet downloaded my application. (The Vanderbilt website says they wait until the first week of January.) Has anyone else had theirs downloaded by either of these two programs?

No, not downloaded. I believe many California programs are in the same category.

Starting the season with a bang! Love letter aka rejection U of Arizona:sleep:, I guess nights in night float are feeling worse..:D.. I am sure better days are coming soon... :idea:

Starting the season with a bang! Love letter aka rejection U of Arizona:sleep:, I guess nights in night float are feeling worse..:D.. I am sure better days are coming soon... :idea:
Same here...U AZ are the only one send gifts out there (love-rejection-letters) prior to Christmas..
Merry Christmas everybody btw..

Rejection from East Carolina

I got am email from VCU to send my permanent residency card? Did anybody else got the same?

Thanks

Last edited:
Although it is a little late. Northwestern wants all residents on visa to email or fax them their visa copy. The deadline was dec 15th.
If you have received request for any additional paperwork or you know of extra paperwork that needs to be submitted outside ERAS, please share with us. thanks

Although it is a little late. Northwestern wants all residents on visa to email or fax them their visa copy. The deadline was dec 15th.
If you have received request for any additional paperwork or you know of extra paperwork that needs to be submitted outside ERAS, please share with us. thanks

I am on J1 Visa too, I got the email from VCU asking for a copy of my visa(I don't know what they wanna do with it :rolleyes: ) .
I guess their plan is like this: either an acceptance into the fellowship program or.....Deportation outside the country..:D

I haven't got any notice from Northwestern ,can we send it next week ?

I am on J1 Visa too, I got the email from VCU asking for a copy of my visa(I don't know what they wanna do with it :rolleyes: ) .
I guess their plan is like this: either an acceptance into the fellowship program or.....Deportation outside the country..:D

I haven't got any notice from Northwestern ,can we send it next week ?

Go to their website. it has the email address where you can send it. Its a little late though.
good luck