Cardiology Fellowship After Completing NHSC Scholarship Requirement

Started by mrd5003
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

mrd5003

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am thinking about applying for the NHSC program after the first year of medical school, which I believe will allow me to make an informed decision about going into primary care. After completing a residency in internal medicine, peds, family practice, ob/gyn, or psych you work in an underserved community for four years. If I decide internal medicine is the best fit for me and want to eventually specialize in a competitive field like cardiology and assuming I do well on the boards (COMLEX and USMLE), am I still a competitive applicant to fellowship programs after a four year hiatus from formal medical training? Thanks for your insight.