Cardiology fellowship application 2021-2022

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just a correction to the last part of your statement JK3. FMGs may or may not be Americans. Many FMGs including myself were born and raised in USA and left the country for personal reasons. So USA is still considered their country. You mentioned “ Americans would not be able to sub-specialize in their own country”. I am an FMG but I am an American and US is my country…

Members don't see this ad.

Just a correction to the last part of your statement JK3. FMGs may or may not be Americans. Many FMGs including myself were born and raised in USA and left the country for personal reasons. So USA is still considered their country. You mentioned “ Americans would not be able to sub-specialize in their own country”. I am an FMG but I am an American and US is my country…
I understand that, usually I would consider the term FMG as someone that is not an American and IMG as an American that went to a foreign school.

To be honest thinking about a possible backup plan is the one thing that calms me down in all of this. Per the spreadsheet, a lot of programs I was expecting to hear from already sent out invites that didn't include me. I am going to go ahead and think of alternatives now. What non-accredited fellowships are other people looking at?

Members don't see this ad :)
Excel sheet had UW, wondering when did they start sending out invitations!

Is it risky if I have applied to cards and PCCM fellowship at the same institution? does that affect my chance in both specialties?

ik less than half the programs have sent interviews but ive only gotten one from my home program and doesnt look like ill have a chance anywhere else. Ik ill have a spot at my home program but was hoping to match at a univeristy or at least a bigger center.

They haven't sent out invitations just yet but they sent an acknowledgement email early on in the application season.
That makes sense! I think that email was automated. I am geographically very restricted and hence naturally very anxious about the match! Thanks for your response!

Did anyone get an email from Baylor today requesting for more information?

Members don't see this ad :)
Any insight into wisconsin programs? MCW vs UW vs Aurora?

Reminder to people using the spreadsheet: Please be thoughtful of others and avoid deleting content. I have put a lot of effort into making this spreadsheet for our convenience and knowledge. Thank you.

Any insight into wisconsin programs? MCW vs UW vs Aurora?
UW >>> the other two
aurora has good volume, but end of the day its not a big university program.
UW is a huge program with huge volume and great academics.

Do you guys expect to continue to hear from programs in the coming weeks or are thing starting to wind down

Do you guys expect to continue to hear from programs in the coming weeks or are thing starting to wind down
167 of 253 programs on this spreadsheet have sent out invites and we have yet to hear back from the others, so there is still time. Likely the programs that have already sent out invites do not have any more interview spots, unless those invited applicants decide to withdraw their invitations to allow others to take those spots. Not likely for the very top programs.

Did anyone else get that discrimination and equal opportunity message from stony brook? what does that mean? why send it out?

Reactions: 1 user
this thread is quiet AF! Things must be going well for people! wishing you guys all the best.

Last edited:
From what it looks like, I'm guessing that everyone has sent out first round of interviews by now.

Do we know if all programs will send out rejections for those they don't interview? Or do they ghost?

anyone willing to swap my September 22nd Georgetown date for September 29 or 30th

Anyone trying to cancel Interview at Charleston area West Virginia program, Please let me know as I was waitlisted and need this interview badly as I only have 2 interviews so far. I am an IMG looking to improve my chances to match.
Thank you

Hello!
Anyone willing to switch interview dates with me please? I got an interview at Temple scheduled for 24th sept PM but have a conflict. Please email me if you can! I would really appreciate it. I am willing to pay to switch as well

[email protected]

Varun, I am considering cancelling. Are you number 1 on the waiting list if I were to cancel? Shoot me your email

How to prepare for a T32 fellowship interview? What questions do they ask that are different from general cardiology fellowship?

I am a US DO and applied to 80 programs during the last cycle. Received 13 interviews and ended up doing 12 interviews (ranked all 12 including university and community programs). I did not match. I am from a mid-tier university program for residency. Step 1 > 250 and Step 2 > 260, Level 1 and 2 > 700. I had good letters and thought had pretty good research. I had 6 cardiology abstracts published (3 first authors), 9 poster presentations (4 first authors including in ACC and AHA), and 1 manuscript in review. That manuscript (I am the first author) has now been published. Out of those 6 abstracts, two other manuscripts will be in review before the application cycle (one first author and one second author). I recently started another project and will likely submit it to AHA and will try to write up a manuscript ASAP. For next year, I will be doing a chief year at an outside institution. Besides applying to more places and working on my interview skills (I am an introverted person), is there anything else I can do to improve my application? I would appreciate any suggestions and recommendations.
Can i ask you how you found a chief year position at outside institution?

Does anyone know why Rowan School of Osteopathic Medicine's fellowship in New Jersey is not participating in the Match per the spreadsheet? Is it still an accredited program? What's the scoop? Thanks for any info.

I'm interviewing at Tufts, does anyone have any pointers or advice? I really wanna end up in Boston as its my #1 location due to family and other ties to the area.

Hi Guys. Just wondering how will you guys rank these programs:

Univ Wisconsin, Uni Utah, Uni Arizona-Tucson, East Carolina University, Cooper University (Camden, NJ), SUNY Upstate and Ochsner clinic

Your help is appreciated.

Hi Guys. Just wondering how will you guys rank these programs:

Univ Wisconsin, Uni Utah, Uni Arizona-Tucson, East Carolina University, Cooper University (Camden, NJ), SUNY Upstate and Ochsner clinic

Your help is appreciated.
Wisconsin

Utah
Ochsner

UA
Cooper

ECU

Hey guys!
How would you rank these programs?
Hartford hospital
Lankenau hospital
Metrohealth case western

For those who are interested there is a new cardiology fellowship that just opened and accepting applicants now! 6 spots available

Reactions: 1 users
Thoughts on Augusta University? What “tier” is it and how does it compare to LSU Shreveport?

If anyone is interested in participating in the write up of a book chapter related to basic science published by Elsevier, please send me a direct message. Thanks

Need help with following: UAB vs Loyola va UT Houston
General broad clinical training with plenty of elective time

Hi everyone. A lot of programs did not specifically request medical school transcripts or MSPE letter, so I did not include them. I'm light on interviews so far and I'm wondering if that made the difference. I applied to 150+ programs with USMLE 201/220/225 and am a former chief at a community-based mid tier university program. Like many unfortunate souls I did not match last year.

Did you all assign these to all programs or did you hold off unless the programs specifically listed this on ERAS? I found many Cardio fellowship websites to be missing a lot of info! Best of luck with the match everyone!!!

Last edited:
If you checked all the boxes on the program checklist in ERAS, you should be fine.

Would like advice on how to rank these programs. Would prefer to stay in California but open to going out of state if it means better clinical training, exposure to broad pathology and established faculty/resources:

Riverside Community Hospital
UCSF-Fresno
University of Hawaii
Honorhealth in Scottsdale, Arizona
Rush University
University of Florida - Jacksonville

Anyone with an interview at Maimonides NY?
I want to switch interview time/date?

What does it mean when a program director says ” I hope you match at our program”?

Last edited:
What does it mean when a program director means” I hope you match at our program”?
I would be ecstatic if someone told me this. I guess it depends on the intonation and context? but its hard to imagine a negative or back handed way of saying this.

I would be ecstatic if someone told me this. I guess it depends on the intonation and context? but its hard to imagine a negative or back handed way of saying this.
It was the last sentence of his zoom interview