Cardiology fellowship application 2021-2022

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What does it mean when a program director says ” I hope you match at our program”?
Outside of a formally written letter to you that says you are ranked/guaranteed to match, I would treat it as white noise.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Outside of a formally written letter to you that says you are ranked/guaranteed to match, I would treat it as white noise.
PDs can't send letters like that under the new post interview communication rules, so saying "I hope you match here" is the most interest they can show.

But I do agree that it's just white noise. There are probably a good number of PDs who say "I hope you match here" to every applicant.

I am guessing with just two 'decent' interviews under my belt, chances of matching are slim-to-none :( Time to give up on the dream and find a job.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys would appreciate someone's help with ranking the following programs:

Advocate Masonic Illinois,
Saint Vincent Hospital (Worcester),
SUNY Upstate,
East Carolina University (Vidant),
Medical College of Georgia/Augusta U.

Any kind soul who can help sort this out ?

Hey guys would appreciate someone's help with ranking the following programs:

Advocate Masonic Illinois,
Saint Vincent Hospital (Worcester),
SUNY Upstate,
East Carolina University (Vidant),
Medical College of Georgia/Augusta U.

Any kind soul who can help sort this out ?

4. Advocate
5. Saint Vincent

1,2,3 are all University programs so they're better lol. I would probably say MCG>East Carolina>Suny Upstate.

Help and thoughts on these programs?

1- Hartford hospital
2- Christiana Care
3- Cooper
4- Metrohealth/case western
5- Lankenau hospital

Thank you!

After you wrote thank you notes to your favorite programs, are you often hearing back from them? Do you typically hear back from a program that is going to rank you first? Thanks

Need help with following: UAB vs Loyola va UT Houston
General broad clinical training with plenty of elective time
Would rank in the order. UTH sounds malignant as **** based on my interview a couple years ago, would rank it low.

I am guessing with just two 'decent' interviews under my belt, chances of matching are slim-to-none :( Time to give up on the dream and find a job.
if you are on a visa then take care of that. If you are not on a visa then you have to make up your mind. If you really want to pursue this then I recommend that you apply for one year Fellowship where you can do more research and be arounds Cardioloists ( some hospitals have cardiac arrhythmia fellowship( Not EP) just ask around. I graduated residency five years ago and worked as a hospitalist to do my visa and Im telling you It does not look good when you apply again applied two times with one interview each year. Plus its a big lie to say I will work and do research. If you want to be productive you need more dedicated time. Plus you loose your connections if you dont work in a very big institute. Its too early to give up !

Can u help me rank these programs, interested in EP and academic career
University of Iowa
Loyola
U of Cincinnati
U of Kentucky
U of Nebraska
Buffalo
U conn

I am having a very difficult time trying to rank my programs. I would appreciate any input or mock ranks. I am looking for a strong academic program to set me up for a career in academics but I will lean more towards the clinical side. I am also interested in pursuing an MBA long-term so I'm very interested in programs that provide early exposure (specifically during the 3rd year).

Michigan
Northwestern
UPenn
UTSW
Vanderbilt
Wash U
Yale

Members don't see this ad :)
I am having a very difficult time trying to rank my programs. I would appreciate any input or mock ranks. I am looking for a strong academic program to set me up for a career in academics but I will lean more towards the clinical side. I am also interested in pursuing an MBA long-term so I'm very interested in programs that provide early exposure (specifically during the 3rd year).

Michigan
Northwestern
UPenn
UTSW
Vanderbilt
Wash U
Yale

Brag post?

Interventional cardiology probably, something procedural at the very least.
Tough one, I’ll recommend to rank those that have IC fellowship higher, especially if you will like to stay in the same program for IC fellowship. I’ll also recommend to rank those that has the most elective time during your 3rd year of general fellowship ‘higher’. IC fellowship is only 1 year, so you want to gain the most out of it during your general fellowship as well. Usually program that has the most number of fellows are the most flexible in terms of calls schedule and elective time.

Need help with ranking. Undecided in terms of subspeciality. Appreciate inputs/advice.
Programs: UMass, West Virginia University, Mount Sinai Beth Israel

Guys this is extremely last minute.
But can one of you share your thoughts about the following programs, I am so torn!

1. Hartford
2. UCONN - Farmington
3. Mt Sinai Beth Israel
4. NYMC Westchester

Any thoughts will be highly appreciated!

Guys this is extremely last minute.
But can one of you share your thoughts about the following programs, I am so torn!

1. Hartford
2. UCONN - Farmington
3. Mt Sinai Beth Israel
4. NYMC Westchester

Any thoughts will be highly appreciated!
Westchester > Hartford > Farmington > MSBI

I'll start this off as it has been quiet.

1- Research (How many, what type, published or not?): 6 published manuscripts (2 non-cards), 1 accepted manuscript pending proof, 5 published abstracts, 6 poster presentations
2- Posters or oral presentation? all posters, no oral presentations
3- Did you do a chief year? No
4- Any gap years and if so, what did you do? None
5- Your residency program (university vs community): community program
6- How many programs did you apply? 50
7- How many interview invitations did you receive and how many did you rank? 10 and ranked all
8- USMLE scores? 240s/220s/230s
9- What # did you end up matching at? #9
10- Matched program (university vs community)? university
11- Visa : No
12- Year of Med School Graduation: 2019 AMG

This process was brutal (uber competitive with many applicants from top institutions) but I am relieved by the fact that I will be a cardiologist!
Highly recommend future applicants to apply broadly. You never know what will happen in this process especially in one of the most competitive fields.

1- Research (How many, what type, published or not?): 5 published case reports, 2 pending approval retrospective studies, 3 poster presentations
4- Any gap years and if so, what did you do? between 2018 and 2019, moved to USA, did volunteer clinicals and took USMLEs
6- How many programs did you apply? 108
7- How many interview invitations did you receive and how many did you rank? 8, ranked 7
8- USMLE scores? 206/260/242
9- What # did you end up matching at? No match...
10- Matched program (university vs community)? N/A
12- Year of Med School Graduation: 2018 FMG

So lost on what to do now.. I am so gutted and feel betrayed by the programs I interviewed with.. My program is potentially starting a cardiology program this July but I just don't know if I want to be part of a completely new program that I doubt will have everything in place that I need of a cardiology program. I am currently looking at maybe doing a chief year but I have no idea how to even start looking for those opportunities...

1- Research (How many, what type, published or not?): 5 published case reports, 2 pending approval retrospective studies, 3 poster presentations
4- Any gap years and if so, what did you do? between 2018 and 2019, moved to USA, did volunteer clinicals and took USMLEs
7- How many interview invitations did you receive and how many did you rank? 8, ranked 7

So lost on what to do now.. I am so gutted and feel betrayed by the programs I interviewed with.. My program is potentially starting a cardiology program this July but I just don't know if I want to be part of a completely new program that I doubt will have everything in place that I need of a cardiology program. I am currently looking at maybe doing a chief year but I have no idea how to even start looking for those opportunities...
New programs have significant growing pains, but ultimately it depends on how much you want to be a cardiologist. Re-applying as an FMG with a 206 Step 1 will be difficult. If something lands in your lap, take it.

1- Research (How many, what type, published or not?): 1 published manuscripts, 1 case report pending, 2 published abstracts, 2 poster presentations
5- Your residency program (university vs community): Top 50 university program
6- How many programs did you apply? 80
7- How many interview invitations did you receive and how many did you rank? 15, ranked all
8- USMLE scores? 240s/250s/230s
9- What # did you end up matching at? #4
10- Matched program (university vs community)? hybrid community/academic

Tips: apply broadly, community and academic places can both train you well. I came from a good university program for residency, but my experience with the fellowship program at my institution is that the clinical training was not top notch. When it came to ranking, I decided I would like to lean more toward private practice (high volume, good clinical training) than academics. Ecstatic to match at my #4, good clinical place. Remember, you will be a cardiologist at the end of the day, so "prestige" means nothing. Rank places based on your gut feeling and where you see yourself in 5-10 years.

1- Research (How many, what type, published or not?): 1 published manuscripts, 1 case report pending, 2 published abstracts, 2 poster presentations
5- Your residency program (university vs community): Top 50 university program
6- How many programs did you apply? 80
7- How many interview invitations did you receive and how many did you rank? 15, ranked all
8- USMLE scores? 240s/250s/230s
9- What # did you end up matching at? #4
10- Matched program (university vs community)? hybrid community/academic

Tips: apply broadly, community and academic places can both train you well. I came from a good university program for residency, but my experience with the fellowship program at my institution is that the clinical training was not top notch. When it came to ranking, I decided I would like to lean more toward private practice (high volume, good clinical training) than academics. Ecstatic to match at my #4, good clinical place. Remember, you will be a cardiologist at the end of the day, so "prestige" means nothing. Rank places based on your gut feeling and where you see yourself in 5-10 years.
Do you think a score of 214 for Step 1 would get me into cards fellowship? I am a US MD grad and willing to apply to all 240 programs.

Do you think a score of 214 for Step 1 would get me into cards fellowship? I am a US MD grad and willing to apply to all 240 programs.
You never know with the process. If you really want to do cardiology, apply to all programs if you can (afford it) and see how many invites you get. LORs are really important so do the best you can do as a resident. Show improvement in your Step 3 score if you haven't taken it yet. Best of luck.

New programs have significant growing pains, but ultimately it depends on how much you want to be a cardiologist. Re-applying as an FMG with a 206 Step 1 will be difficult. If something lands in your lap, take it.
Do you think that once the step 1 scoring becomes pass/fail, it will reflect as such for everyone applying (even those who got an actual score for their step 1)? Meaning, if I apply again once it becomes pass/fail, will my step 1 just reflect as "pass" and ultimately would my application suddenly become much more competitive?

EDIT: I saw on the USMLE website that exams taken before it changes to pass/fail will reflect as numeric score as well as pass/fail, which in my opinion would mean that no programs would be allowed to screen based on numeric step 1 scores... But we shall see I guess

You should be fine. Secure good letters, do some research, apply broadly. Nobody asked or cared about my step scores.

You should be fine. Secure good letters, do some research, apply broadly. Nobody asked or cared about my step scores.
Thank you so much! Did you go to an academic program? What do you think about doing an IM residency in a university affiliated or community program with an in house cards fellowship?

Thank you so much! Did you go to an academic program? What do you think about doing an IM residency in a university affiliated or community program with an in house cards fellowship?
I would preference whichever residency has a better cardiology program and whichever routinely places residents into cardiology fellowship. This makes a difference when looking for research or mentors or if you decide you like the program and want to stay on for fellowship. Also, when you interview, fellowship programs want to make sure you've had enough breadth of experience in cardiology and know what you're getting yourself into. If you look at places like Cleveland Clinic (top cardiology program), they routinely place 10+ residents into cardiology. At my program, we would place about 5-6, so it was not top-notch but above average.

Do you think that once the step 1 scoring becomes pass/fail, it will reflect as such for everyone applying (even those who got an actual score for their step 1)? Meaning, if I apply again once it becomes pass/fail, will my step 1 just reflect as "pass" and ultimately would my application suddenly become much more competitive?

EDIT: I saw on the USMLE website that exams taken before it changes to pass/fail will reflect as numeric score as well as pass/fail, which in my opinion would mean that no programs would be allowed to screen based on numeric step 1 scores... But we shall see I guess
Cardiology is a numbers-based specialty. If you've got something that they can use to discriminate, they will. Remember, programs don't have to justify why they don't interview you.

Although no one asked about your scores, they almost certainly were part of the reason you were picked for an interview. Once you are actually interviewing, no one will ask you about them.

I matched into a mid-tier Uni program and I’m happy.

225/235/230; ~5 manuscripts published and another handful submitted, ~5 case reports published, ~5 abstracts/posters; residency in a community program and did a Chief year; need visa; applied to 120 programs and got 6 interviews.

I think my step 1 score was probably why I didn’t get more interviews, not sure. I know people who had 240-250s, minimal research, and no Chief year who got similar or more (10+) interviews.

Last edited:
Hi all,

Matched recently to my top program. Here are my thoughts:

1- Research (How many, what type, published or not?): 6 published manuscripts + 8 submitted at time of submission. 2 published abstracts. 12+ posters. Other conference submissions pending at time of application. Almost all of these occurred during residency. 2 oral presentations.
2- Posters or oral presentation? Mix, mostly posters.
5- Your residency program (university vs community): Top 60 university program
6- How many programs did you apply? ~50
7- How many interview invitations did you receive and how many did you rank? 13, attended 12, ranked 11
8- USMLE scores? 230s-250s across the board
9- What # did you end up matching at? #1 (not my current residency)
10- Matched program (university vs community)? University

I think research was the main component of my app that differentiated me from others. Residency reputation and chief year seem to be huge, but those factors are out of your control. A lot of people say research isn't that important, but what else objective is there on your application to make you stand out? Most people are going to have a good PS, good letters, etc. I personally felt that research was the main factor that was somewhat in my control.

Another reason I think research was a huge factor was because I had very little for my residency application (0 publications, maybe 1-2 posters) and I only had a few "solid" interviews. My fellowship interviews were at places with much better reputations, and really the only difference was the amount of research I brought to the table on my fellowship app versus my residency app. My top 4 ranks were at places that I applied to during residency and did NOT receive interviews. Also, my interviewers brought up my research productivity at nearly every interview. I also think if your research makes "sense," e.g., it follows your actual career interests, that also makes a difference. When you're actually passionate about something, it really shows when you talk about it.

TLDR: You will hear people tell you that research isn't that important, but it was a huge factor for my application and was one of the main talking points during all of my interviews. IMO, it is one of the only factors that is in your control, so I recommend making it a top priority.

Applying to all 240 programs is not the best use of money. Some programs don’t sponsor visas- not that I know your visa status but point is that you can cut down on the list based on your credentials . If you are worried about your application then value of applying to Hopkins, Mgh , bwh etc need to be evaluated. Suggest applying broadly but need to go to their websites and narrow

Sorry you didn’t match. Any reason why you didn’t rank a program ? Horrible program.
Will suggest taking a good look at your in house fellowship. Ultimately you want to be a cardiologist. There are pros and cons with new programs. But if goal is to be a cardiologist you can make the best of it.

Sorry you didn’t match. Any reason why you didn’t rank a program ? Horrible program.
Will suggest taking a good look at your in house fellowship. Ultimately you want to be a cardiologist. There are pros and cons with new programs. But if goal is to be a cardiologist you can make the best of it.
It was mainly geographical. Didn't research the area that well before I applied to that area and my wife straight up told me "even if you do match there I don't want us to move there". Spousal happiness is a big factor as well for me so I decided not to rank it, also the program was not the best in my opinion.
Currently there are no fellowships yet at my program but they might be starting a cardiology fellowship this coming July so I will definitely apply for that if it gets to be an actual thing.

If they won't have a fellowship this July, you should offer to spend a year helping to set it up. You could be a 50% hospitalist at the same time.

It was mainly geographical. Didn't research the area that well before I applied to that area and my wife straight up told me "even if you do match there I don't want us to move there". Spousal happiness is a big factor as well for me so I decided not to rank it, also the program was not the best in my opinion.
Currently there are no fellowships yet at my program but they might be starting a cardiology fellowship this coming July so I will definitely apply for that if it gets to be an actual thing.

Ok all you can do is Apply again.
This season saw many fantastic candidates who didnt match last year and were re-applying. Everybody is still trying to understand the virtual interview impact . community Hospital may be going against you, but you had 8 interviews which I think is decent. SO strengthen application with some research and contacts and try again