Cardiology Fellowship Preparation as an Intern

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gusjdy

Reaction score
Hello,

I am an incoming intern who is interested in cardiology, I would like to know what suggestions some of you might have regarding, electives, research, and overall curricular embellishment that I could start to prepare from the beginning of my IM residency. Also, I have my first elective in the first month of residency, and Cardiology is not available, spots are taken, and due to the COVID situation pulmonary is not available. The options I have for elective are GI, Rad, NM, ID, Nephro; suggestions on what I should choose?

Thank for taking the time to read this,

Members don't see this ad.

You’re an IMG? Then prepare for an uphill, but winnable, battle. Here’s a thread I started on my success in matching: My success story as a US-IMG applying for cardiology

Ultimately it comes down to a few key factors...
1) where you went to residency. It’s no secret that coming From a community program with no in-house fellowship puts you at a disadvantage.
2) your connections. Awesome cardiologists with no connections to any programs are virtually useless. It’s a small field and connections will open more doors than any publication or test scores
3) publications. I didn’t have any, but I had a ton of projects to shine up my application. I recommend you get attached to a high productivity mentor and publish early and often
4) declare your interest for cardiology early. Make it known it’s what you want and people will point you in the right direction
5) don’t suck as a resident. Don’t be unlikeable
6) do an away rotation in your second year at a program where you have a chance to match. better to Go to a small program where you have a shot than at UCSF/Harvard/Stanford where you’d never have andhance
7) be chief if you can
8) If all else fails, try and do a CARDIAC hospitalist year. Worked for me

Reactions: 1 user
It is great you are thinking about this so early but don't stress. I would focus the first 6 months on becoming a good resident and devoting yourself to medicine. Meet people and let your interest be known so that way at the end of 1st year / start of 2nd you can start getting involved in research / presentations / etc. Pick whatever of those specialties interest you as they all will be of benefit.

Members don't see this ad :)
Assuming it’s the same story for a DO incoming intern with good boards at a university program w In house fellowship? I don’t have any research yet. Just board scores lol

I agree with Egghead's post. Being a strong resident and being liked by cardiology faculty is very important. Also your PD should be helpful in guiding you.

You’re an IMG? Then prepare for an uphill, but winnable, battle. Here’s a thread I started on my success in matching: My success story as a US-IMG applying for cardiology

Ultimately it comes down to a few key factors...
1) where you went to residency. It’s no secret that coming From a community program with no in-house fellowship puts you at a disadvantage.
2) your connections. Awesome cardiologists with no connections to any programs are virtually useless. It’s a small field and connections will open more doors than any publication or test scores
3) publications. I didn’t have any, but I had a ton of projects to shine up my application. I recommend you get attached to a high productivity mentor and publish early and often
4) declare your interest for cardiology early. Make it known it’s what you want and people will point you in the right direction
5) don’t suck as a resident. Don’t be unlikeable
6) do an away rotation in your second year at a program where you have a chance to match. better to Go to a small program where you have a shot than at UCSF/Harvard/Stanford where you’d never have andhance
7) be chief if you can
8) If all else fails, try and do a CARDIAC hospitalist year. Worked for me
absolutely agree

9) echo fellowship/any cardiac-related imaging fellowship. my program took 2 in the last 2 years.

Assuming it’s the same story for a DO incoming intern with good boards at a university program w In house fellowship? I don’t have any research yet. Just board scores lol
No I assume in your situation you aren’t at that much of a significant disadvantage, they were talking about IMG’s in programs with no in house fellowships and non university programs