Cardiology fellowship requires IM residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheMikesLife

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is IM residency required for applying to/ being accepted into cardiology fellowship programs? Or can I still apply and be accepted into cardiology fellowship even if I do not do a residency in Internal Medicine?

Also is it possible to do two residencies?? For example, I do a residency in general surgery and also want to do one in internal medicine upon completion of my general surgery residency. If this is possible would this be frowned upon?

I'm going to match next year and want to explore all my options!

Members don't see this ad.

Im concerned that you are going to match next year and are clearly very unaware of how any of this works.

No, you cannot match into cardiology without internal medicine. The exception is if you match into internal medicine and cardiology at the same time through a PhD "short track" program.

Yes, you can do two residencies. As a practical matter, try your very best to pick what you think you want to do with your life and stick to it. Two residencies should never be your goal going into the process.

Reactions: 3 users