Cardiology Job market

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Signing a contract.....starting $600K, directorship position and 12 weeks of vacation. My pay starts when I sign. 60 minutes outside of top 7 sized city in the nation.

Damn. Must be working your ass off to make that with that much vacation.

Members don't see this ad.

Damn. Must be working your ass off to make that with that much vacation.

I actually signed a different contract.....salary is actually higher and its right inside a large southeastern city. Job is diverse.....40 days vacation. Partnership in 2 years....no buy in. I don't plan on taking all that vacation. No directorship position but thats okay....not something I am interested in. I couldn't be happier. My training really helped me with options.

Reactions: 2 users
I actually signed a different contract.....salary is actually higher and its right inside a large southeastern city. Job is diverse.....40 days vacation. Partnership in 2 years....no buy in. I don't plan on taking all that vacation. No directorship position but thats okay....not something I am interested in. I couldn't be happier. My training really helped me with options.

Noninvasive?

Members don't see this ad :)
Noninvasive?

No....interventional plus another specialty. I am on a national committee for this specialty so I am keeping it to the chest. It would make me very identifiable. Might as well be honest with the break down of my salary....

$450,000 base
$40,000 sign on
$50,000 "Good citizen bonus".....just don't kill anyone.
$15,000 relocation bonus
+productivity.....last year first year guys got $175,000 bonuses each.

Reactions: 6 users
Nice, congrats man. No need to be specific, kind of figured one of the subspecialties. In a few months will get serious with my job hunt.... EP.

Private independent group or hospital employed?

I think the getting down to brass tacks with my job search will be the most stressful part for me. Just in my local area I’ve already seen opportunities for just about every type of practice there is, from private solo practice, to large private multispecialty group, to large hospital system employed to academic. Each with it’s own pros/cons.

I will be finishing up as an advanced imaging cardiologist in a major city and I have two jobs that I am considering, would like your thoughts on this

Job1: Employed by the Med school as faculty in an outpatient only job to establish a new clinic in a lower-middle income suburb. Currently there is a large tertiary care hospital there with a large private cardiology group that I will be competing against. No call. Clinic 6 half Sessions a week, primary echo reader at the med school one day a week (work till 7-8pm that day). I don’t get to control my daily schedule much and I won’t be on the medical school campus but may have a small directorship. No ability to read CT or Vascular which I am trained in and only limited nuclear readings. Will be able to interact with fellows and residents during my echo reading day at the Med school. I have been told that I will be judged on the success of this new Clinic (new patients, patients going to the main campus for procedures etc)

Job 2: Private Practice at a Heart Hospital which has a very good reputation within the city and nationally. Call one weeknight a week (non invasive so don’t go in house) and one weekend in 5 (round on about 10-12 patients). We do not cover the ER so don’t have to worry about that. Have control on my schedule and my partners are easy going. Will be able to read CT, nuclear and vascular. They don’t have residents or fellows but are planning a fellowship program which I will likely be able to have a significant role in. Salary is ~ 70k more and after 3 years it’s a eat what you kill model. Ability to buy shares in the heart hospital if I choose.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I will be finishing up as an advanced imaging cardiologist in a major city and I have two jobs that I am considering, would like your thoughts on this

Job1: Employed by the Med school in an outpatient only job to establish a new clinic in a lower-middle income suburb. Currently there is a large tertiary care hospital there with a large private cardiology group that I will be competing against. No call. Clinic 6 half Sessions a week, primary echo reader at the med school one day a week (work till 7-8pm that day) and nuclear reading at the Med school a half day a week. I don’t get to control my daily schedule much and I won’t be on the medical school campus but may have a small directorship. No ability to read CT or Vascular which I am trained in. Will be able to interact with fellows and residents during my echo reading day at the Med school. I have been told that I will be judged on the success of this new Clinic (new patients, patients going to the main campus for procedures etc). Again, there are no call or inpatient responsibilities

Job 2: Private Practice at a Heart Hospital which has a very good reputation within the city and nationally. Call one weeknight a week (non invasive so don’t go in house) and one weekend in 5 (round on about 10-12 patients). We do not cover the ER so don’t have to worry about that. Have control on my schedule and my partners are easy going. Will be able to read CT and vascular. They don’t have residents or fellows but are planning a fellowship program which I will likely be able to have a significant role in. Salary is ~ 70k per year more and after 3 years it’s a eat what you kill model. Ability to buy shares in the heart hospital if I choose.

Personally I would not want to do outpatient only, and certainly not strictly outpatient while not being able to utilize my advanced training.

Obviously it’ll be your preference but at least starting off I would much prefer the second position. At least that’s the sort of position I will be looking for in a few months.

No....interventional plus another specialty. I am on a national committee for this specialty so I am keeping it to the chest. It would make me very identifiable. Might as well be honest with the break down of my salary....

$450,000 base
$40,000 sign on
$15,000 relocation bonus

Personally I would not want to do outpatient only, and certainly not strictly outpatient while not being able to utilize my advanced training.

Obviously it’ll be your preference but at least starting off I would much prefer the second position. At least that’s the sort of position I will be looking for in a few months.

Thanks, any other thoughts would be appreciated

$450,000 base
$40,000 sign on
$15,000 relocation bonus

Man this **** is getting complex like NFL deals. So you get a 40k signing bonus with a 50k roster bonus, but be careful man, sounds like they can cut you after year 1 with minimal cap hit. Should have pushed for more guarentees.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Man this **** is getting complex like NFL deals. So you get a 40k signing bonus with a 50k roster bonus, but be careful man, sounds like they can cut you after year 1 with minimal cap hit. Should have pushed for more guarentees.
Why would they do that? Hospitals pay a TON of money to recruit new docs. If they're dishing out $55k just for sign on and reloc, then that's money that they have to pay the next guy should they fire him.

Job1: Employed by the Med school as faculty in an outpatient only job to establish a new clinic in a lower-middle income suburb. Currently there is a large tertiary care hospital there with a large private cardiology group that I will be competing against. No call. Clinic 6 half Sessions a week, primary echo reader at the med school one day a week (work till 7-8pm that day). I don’t get to control my daily schedule much and I won’t be on the medical school campus but may have a small directorship. No ability to read CT or Vascular which I am trained in and only limited nuclear readings. Will be able to interact with fellows and residents during my echo reading day at the Med school. I have been told that I will be judged on the success of this new Clinic (new patients, patients going to the main campus for procedures etc)

Job 2: Private Practice at a Heart Hospital which has a very good reputation within the city and nationally. Call one weeknight a week (non invasive so don’t go in house) and one weekend in 5 (round on about 10-12 patients). We do not cover the ER so don’t have to worry about that. Have control on my schedule and my partners are easy going. Will be able to read CT, nuclear and vascular. They don’t have residents or fellows but are planning a fellowship program which I will likely be able to have a significant role in. Salary is ~ 70k more and after 3 years it’s a eat what you kill model. Ability to buy shares in the heart hospital if I choose.

Thanks, any other thoughts would be appreciated

It sounds like you liked Job 2 better and thus that is the one you should pick.

Members don't see this ad :)

I’m guaranteed for 2 years and can miss my rvu targets without penalty. After two years I am made partner in the group. The only requirement to be partner is to make sure you hit your rvu’s. It’s really simple the contract. If I go over my rvu’s they I get paid additional.

Signing a contract.....starting $600K, directorship position and 12 weeks of vacation. My pay starts when I sign. 60 minutes outside of top 7 sized city in the nation.

giphy.gif

1xjBgVI

GET THAT $$$$$HHHHMONEEEYYYYYYY.

Is that general cardio on interventional?

Is there a catch to that salary?

Salary ranges can vary greatly according to which region of the country (and/or state) you are in. 600k would be very high for the West Coast, IMHO, particularly if it's not interventional.

Can anyone comment on what the current non invasive market is like in the NYC area for a new grad? I see the numbers quoted by MGMA but get a sense this is a bit inflated.

Is that general cardio on interventional?

Is there a catch to that salary?

It is interventional plus another sub specialty. My day is busy and I am on call tons but I wouldn’t have it any other way at this point in my career. Furthermore, the additional call is by choice only and not something I need to do. Let’s be clear my starting base was $475K which is not overly high. I passed on the other job. However, after year 2, you’re at 700-750K depending on productivity.

$450,000 base
$40,000 sign on
$15,000 relocation bonus

I’m actually probably looking at something very similar. Guaranteed base high 400’s w/ productivity bonus. Don’t need a relocation/moving bonus so may try and negotiate that into something else. Also expecting similar sign on bonus. I haven’t heard of this ‘good citizen’ bonus as you’ve called it. Is it tied to anything patient metric wise or just specific to that group?

Another more practical question. How much negotiating did you have to do back and forth?

I’m actually probably looking at something very similar. Guaranteed base high 400’s w/ productivity bonus. Don’t need a relocation/moving bonus so may try and negotiate that into something else. Also expecting similar sign on bonus. I haven’t heard of this ‘good citizen’ bonus as you’ve called it. Is it tied to anything patient metric wise or just specific to that group?

Another more practical question. How much negotiating did you have to do back and forth?

Out of curiosity, general cards or a subspecialty? And any chance you can comment on the general geographical area (doesn't have to be overly specific)? I feel like if everyone posted this information on a thread - it would make contract negotiation much easier for everyone

Out of curiosity, general cards or a subspecialty? And any chance you can comment on the general geographical area (doesn't have to be overly specific)? I feel like if everyone posted this information on a thread - it would make contract negotiation much easier for everyone

EP, southern

How is the work/call schedule of an EP trained cardiologist compared to a general cards? What about to an interventional?

Depends on the group
I’ve seen groups who require their EP docs to take some general call. I’ve seen similar for IC docs (although admittedly the overlap in general cards and cath is a lot more)
IC call for STEMI can be light or terrible depending on where you are
EP call is usually a joke IMO - no such thing as an EP emergency truly speaking. Feel free to correct me if I’m wrong

Agree with the above. Highly variable depending on group setup. If EP only then EP call usually not that bad. Just the usual nurse/floor pages. Some groups have their EP cover general call as well occasional.

The point isn't about making $500k+ in a sh*tty location. While you're making 500k in BFE, the hospitalist guy working in the same place (who did 3-5 years less of training than you) is making 300k+ working half the year. And this isn't even considering the more frightening scenario for interventional cardiology - interventions have plateaued and is decreasing while 200 more guys are coming out every year. How many more of these waves can the market sustain? Structural isn't big enough a market to make any significant difference. Peripherals are shared in the community with IR and vascular. It's a pity because cardiology is such a great field, but overtraining is really gonna take a toll.
bronx43, IMDoc607 has a point. You have been a broken record on this topic for years. I remember your consistent naysaying over the years when I was first applying for cards fellowship. You have a very clear bias in your postings against cardiology. Why is that? ....I guess it doest really matter. You just keep making the same points...which you are free to make. But the point remains. You haven't said anything different for quite some time. Maybe say something new...or provide insight into what personal experience led to this bias?
@bronx43 's complaining has given me insight into the market and helps me in career decisions how would people come to know if no one talks abt it ..thanks man

Curious to all, do you think an offer of $360k for Interventional Cardiology in Phoenix area for a new grad, in a private practice is average around this area? thanks

Curious to all, do you think an offer of $360k for Interventional Cardiology in Phoenix area for a new grad, in a private practice is average around this area? thanks

Private? Academic? Hospital employeed?

Is that just the base salary guarantee? Is there an RVU production bonus on top of it?

Other aspects to look at if productivity based are what are they expected RVU targets and $ per RVU they’re offering.

sounds a little on the lower end for private practice

For a private practice model, is "40% of net collections", pretty standard?

For a private practice model, is "40% of net collections", pretty standard?

Are you interested in rural AZ ?( not too remote ). Not as hot here as Phoenix too.
My hospital admins will beat that offer by a lot.

Anyone interested can private message me. We are trying to add to the existing cardiologists.
The hospital is growing and we also have a retirement coming up shortly.

Thanks

What do you guys think of this. Interventional Cardiology

Private practice in Phoenix, 415k baseline salary, get to keep 40% of collections after 1.25 million. After 2 yrs or hitting 1.25 million in net collections, can go to productivity, and eat what you kill model (keep 40% of net collections, no more base salary). Call 1 in 5 to 6, Interventional call only.

It's been interesting to read about th eebbs and flow of cardiology job market over the last 8 years. Is the gap between salaries (for non-invasive and interventional) still low? Is the market still saturated? It's interesting seeing mid 300k offers for interventional in arizona and mid 600k offers elsewhere.

Anyone know what the job market is like in TX and what to expect in terms of salary? STEMI Call? Maybe up to 1-2 hours outside of Austin, Houston & Dallas?

Any updates on job market for IC this year? Looks like everyone looking for general cardiology...

Any updates on job market for IC this year? Looks like everyone looking for general cardiology...
gen cards is white hot

IC is going to be 70-80% gen cards and the rest IC. From my co-fellows, peripheral interventions can make you a very desired candidate, structural is very saturated.

gen cards is white hot

IC is going to be 70-80% gen cards and the rest IC. From my co-fellows, peripheral interventions can make you a very desired candidate, structural is very saturated.

Where do you see the gen cards market going in the next 5-10 years? Also is the average starting salary around 350-400k in moderately desirable areas or is that more of a low or high ball estimate? Thanks for your time!

Where do you see the gen cards market going in the next 5-10 years? Also is the average starting salary around 350-400k in moderately desirable areas or is that more of a low or high ball estimate? Thanks for your time!
the floor is 400k, if you sign for something less, it's either due to location or wanting to be part-time. I was able to find a job relatively quickly for like ~400k plus productivity in about 2 months in a relatively desirable city (2+ million metro area in the Midwest-ish).

I think the job market for cards will continue to be fantastic for the forseeable future. COVID is making lots of older docs retire and we have an aging, unhealthy population that will need CV services. Demand is only going up.

the floor is 400k, if you sign for something less, it's either due to location or wanting to be part-time. I was able to find a job relatively quickly for like ~400k plus productivity in about 2 months in a relatively desirable city (2+ million metro area in the Midwest-ish).

I think the job market for cards will continue to be fantastic for the forseeable future. COVID is making lots of older docs retire and we have an aging, unhealthy population that will need CV services. Demand is only going up.

Thanks for the feedback and congrats on finding the job whenever that was. I hope your time there is rewarding! :)

There's a private practice IC job in Northeast area. Not a big city. I'll be doing IC, PV, and some TAVRs. It's a shared RVU based system meaning entire group shares any profits. It consists mostly of general cardiologists and I'll be the main interventional guy. They haven't offered a contract yet but I suspect salary will be on lower side. Partnership is after 2 years. How should I ensure appropriate compensation when I'll be bringing in most of the RVUs for the group? Got the sense that pay will be close to the general cardiologist. I'll have general cardiology responsibilities as well. Ask for admin day?

Last edited:
There's a private practice IC job in Northeast area. Not a big city. I'll be doing IC, PV, and some TAVRs. It's a shared RVU based system meaning entire group shares any profits. It consists mostly of general cardiologists and I'll be the main interventional guy. They haven't offered a contract yet but I suspect salary will be on lower side. Partnership is after 2 years. How should I ensure appropriate compensation when I'll be bringing in most of the RVUs for the group? Got the sense that pay will be close to the general cardiologist. I'll have general cardiology responsibilities as well. Ask for admin day?
It is easier to generate more RVUs with efficient office based general cardiology practice. Cath lab days are generally inefficient and highly depend on the work flow at the area hospital/s where you'll be practicing. Those days are a lot dependent on staff employed by hospitals that you cannot control. If yours is the only or dominant group in the area then you can have some say on how the procedures are scheduled and so on but otherwise not much you can do about it. Being the only IC guy in the group you'd definitely be very valuable and can negotiate more pay etc but my reply was more geared towards your statement "be bringing in most of the RVUs for the group". Good luck.

It is easier to generate more RVUs with efficient office based general cardiology practice. Cath lab days are generally inefficient and highly depend on the work flow at the area hospital/s where you'll be practicing. Those days are a lot dependent on staff employed by hospitals that you cannot control. If yours is the only or dominant group in the area then you can have some say on how the procedures are scheduled and so on but otherwise not much you can do about it. Being the only IC guy in the group you'd definitely be very valuable and can negotiate more pay etc but my reply was more geared towards your statement "be bringing in most of the RVUs for the group". Good luck.
Thanks for the clarification..I can see how generating RVUs can be inefficient in cath lab compared to outpatient general cardiology. No wonder job market for non invasive is on fire right now.

The reason you can generate RVUs in the cath lab is because of clinic. That's why a model like yours is important. You may make more RVUs doing procedures because your partners are funneling you patients. IC is a good way to keep the RVUs in the group but never lose sight that your RVUs come because of everyone else in the group.

That said, your low salary initially is likely going to be part of your buy in to partnership.

The reason you can generate RVUs in the cath lab is because of clinic. That's why a model like yours is important. You may make more RVUs doing procedures because your partners are funneling you patients. IC is a good way to keep the RVUs in the group but never lose sight that your RVUs come because of everyone else in the group.

That said, your low salary initially is likely going to be part of your buy in to partnership.

Yes definitely but I will also be in clinic in addition to general cardiology call and will be doing a bit more work with some additional responsibilities and hours so wanted to know if it would be valid to ask for a higher salary compared to the general cardiology collegues given the higher work load and potentially bringing in more revenue for the group.

Yes definitely but I will also be in clinic in addition to general cardiology call and will be doing a bit more work with some additional responsibilities and hours so wanted to know if it would be valid to ask for a higher salary compared to the general cardiology collegues given the higher work load and potentially bringing in more revenue for the group.

Exactly. The thought that a general cardiologist deserves a cut of your rvu production in a production based job is nonsense. As others stated, you can generate more rvus by ordering echos and nucs for 22 year olds in clinic than you can for high risk pci. They’re getting paid for the work up of that pt. They don’t generate individually nearly as much business as you would think for an interventionalist anyways.

As you stated you are basically doing everything they are (clinic, call) AND taking on all the stress, legal and job liability of Interventions (call, complications)

With that said that set up you described sounds odd and likely a bad set up. I guess you can see what they’ll pay but I would be skeptical it would be a “fair”set up. Sounds like a “take advantage of a naive fellow” set up to me.

There’s only a few ways imo you can benefit as an Interventionalist in todays world..

If full rvu production than that requires a situation where you have 100% support (mid levels, Hospitalist, people feeding you cases, staff motivated to turn over labs). There are ZERO jobs like that in my neck of the woods. As others stated, you don’t employ the staff and Hospitals don’t typically like high maintenance docs which are required in that set up and aren’t going to bend over backwards to make you efficient and happy.

The second opportunity is to be overpaid for minimal production where you are basically paid for coverage. That entails a job where you basically cover a low volume hospital. See some consults. 1-3 Caths a day. Being paid to cover for STEMIs.

The third is a situation where you have a lot of protected time to do only the things you want to do.. for example a structural doc who isn’t expected to hit numbers but is able to have a full lab day for 1-3 cases and a limited clinic of only structural/tavr patients. These guys are subsidized by the APPs and generalists who are having to churn through 20 plus patients a day of palpitations, dizziness, fatigue and often employed at a large tertiary center that is APP driven (for all the scut work)and rolling in cash .. obviously hard to snag those jobs away from the 50+ year old IC crowd.

Which job would you take? Any thoughts?

Job A: private practice job with privileges in a community hospital and a county hospital. Salary is 300K for first 2 years after that it's shared profits as a partner from group regardless of individual RVU. 50% general cards with 50% IC..1.5-2 days per week in cath lab rest in clinic seeing patients, reading echos, nucs, ekgs and holters..not responsible for in-patient caths (the hospitals have employed academic interventionalists) but can do them if wanted on my cath days..everyone makes partner after 2 years with 160K buy in (160K investment returned to you if you ever leave practice)..large group of 16 general cardiologists and 2 interventionalists, mid levels cover in patient service, everyone once they're a partner has equal compensation split equally regardless of individual RVU production (ie I'll be making same as general cardiology collegues), everyone takes equal general cards call regardless of seniority. 4 day work weeks after 1 year with 8 total weekend call per year. Can take as much STEMI call I want or don't want (I will plan to take some as a new attending to ensure I meet PCI numbers but unclear if there will be extra stipend per STEMI call). 10 min from current home.

Job B: Hospital employed job in community hospital with academic affiliation. Pay 550K for first 2 years and then it's RVU based with 10% of salary based on scores from patient surveys (most earn the full 10%), most make more than they did first 2 years. STEMI call is 1 in 5 with 1 weekend of call every month (12-15 weekends per year). 80% IC and 20% general cards. 3 days in cath lab per week, responsible for in patient caths when scheduled in cath lab for that day, no primary cardiology service but every cardiologist is responsible for seeing their own patients as a consult when admitted during the day (hospital and clinic are in same building), hospitalists provide attending coverage for overnight admissions. There will be fellows, residents and medical students. Would require 40 min commute one way from current home.

Last edited:
Which job would you take? Any thoughts?

Job A: private practice job with privileges in a community hospital and a county hospital. Salary is 300K for first 2 years after that it's shared profits as a partner from group regardless of individual RVU. 50% general cards with 50% IC..1.5-2 days per week in cath lab rest in clinic seeing patients, reading echos, nucs, ekgs and holters..not responsible for in-patient caths (the hospitals have employed academic interventionalists) but can do them if wanted on my cath days..everyone makes partner after 2 years with 160K buy in (160K investment returned to you if you ever leave practice)..large group of 16 general cardiologists and 2 interventionalists, mid levels cover in patient service, everyone once they're a partner has equal compensation split equally regardless of individual RVU production (ie I'll be making same as general cardiology collegues), everyone takes equal general cards call regardless of seniority. 4 day work weeks after 1 year with 8 total weekend call per year. Can take as much STEMI call I want or don't want (I will plan to take some as a new attending to ensure I meet PCI numbers but unclear if there will be extra stipend per STEMI call). 10 min from current home.

Job B: Hospital employed job in community hospital with academic affiliation. Pay 550K for first 2 years and then it's RVU based with 10% of salary based on scores from patient surveys (most earn the full 10%), most make more than they did first 2 years. STEMI call is 1 in 5 with 1 weekend of call every month (12-15 weekends per year). 80% IC and 20% general cards. 3 days in cath lab per week, responsible for in patient caths when scheduled in cath lab for that day, no primary cardiology service but every cardiologist is responsible for seeing their own patients as a consult when admitted during the day (hospital and clinic are in same building), hospitalists provide attending coverage for overnight admissions. There will be fellows, residents and medical students. Would require 40 min commute one way from current home.

Any thoughts on this?

Any thoughts on this?

Job A red flags:
- 300k for two years means your “buy in” is 750k or so not 160k.. that’s a lot of lost income since it’s easy to make 600 plus from the get go
- so depends on what partners are making and at what rvu production
- weird general to IC ratio
- I would want to know the exact rvu number everyone is doing.. and I would only work to that avg
- With 18 docs why do you do 8 weekends. Wouldn’t that be 2-3 a year
- not too many jobs in this world that don’t require stemi call. What’s the point of volunteering to do stemi call if you don’t make any money off of it? There’s zero chance you wouldn’t have enough pci numbers with that general to IC ratio.

Obviously a ton of red flags in a very non traditional set up. The kicker is if you’re truly on q18 general call and no stemi call and can make 450-500k plus than that could be a win. But I doubt that’s reality. I wouldn’t touch that job with a 100ft pole.

Job B looks pretty straightforward. Lower pay than many community jobs but sounds like you have residents and fellows which if they help at night could really make up for things. Protected Cath lab time and lack of general responsibilities a plus for a true iC. How are you planning on covering STEMIs 40 min from home?

Job B. Job A has lots of weird things going on and doesn't favor you. I'd move closer though. Also assuming job B your colleagues, hospital, staff, etc. are solid.