• A new admissions hurdle is becoming more common: the CASPer test. Learn more about it at a free webinar hosted by SDN and PrepMatch on May 6th. Register now!

Yiddly

2+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2016
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Its my first time posting on here not sure if its the right place but any help will be appreciated.
I am a US IMG graduating from a med school in Pakistan and got a weak (in the low 220s) step 1 score and will be working to get a stronger step 2 score along with some research in the year after graduating from med school and step 3 before applying for residency. I have genuinely always been very interested in cardiology throughout medical school and i know my cards dont allign with the ideal applicant to even match a good IM residency program so i wanted to do research in Cardiology with fellows (if possible) that can help me not only match at a IM residency program but also help me get something under my sleeve for cards fellowship.
Any advice or help will be appreciated thank you in advance!

Nov 3, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
Its my first time posting on here not sure if its the right place but any help will be appreciated.
I am a US IMG graduating from a med school in Pakistan and got a weak (in the low 220s) step 1 score and will be working to get a stronger step 2 score along with some research in the year after graduating from med school and step 3 before applying for residency. I have genuinely always been very interested in cardiology throughout medical school and i know my cards dont allign with the ideal applicant to even match a good IM residency program so i wanted to do research in Cardiology with fellows (if possible) that can help me not only match at a IM residency program but also help me get something under my sleeve for cards fellowship.
Any advice or help will be appreciated thank you in advance!
While research and other extracurricular things may be of help, as an IMG what really sets you out is your USMLE scores preferably first attempt. I strongly advise that you work on getting a high step 2CK score and AVOID attempt(s) in any of the exams. If you can do step 3 later on, fine but make sure you do well on it on your first try. I wish I got this nugget few years back.

Best of luck

Splenda88

2+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Worry about matching IM first with that weak step1 before even thinking about card. 250+ step2 might help but it won't be a slam dunk.

Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.