cardiothoracic vs. orthopedic residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

promethius

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am just curious what it takes (in terms of residency years and possibly fellowships) to become a cardiothoracic or an orthopedic surgeon. What are the pros and cons of each speciality? Thanx!

Members don't see this ad.

Most people apply for an orthopedic surgery residency (5 years?) while in their fourth year of medical school, whereas cardiothoracic surgery is a 2 year fellowship after a 5 year general surgery residency. I've heard rumors that they are thinking of changing CT surgery to something more like plastics - where you can do a couple years of general, and finish out the residency focused - but I don't know how far off in the future that is. Also, I believe you can "sneak in" to ortho by going into general surgery first. (FYI: general surgery residencies are MUCH easier to get than orthopedics)

As far as surgical specialties go, these are two of the most disparate fields out there. CT surgery is mostly intricate work (e.g., coronary artery bypass grafts, valve replacement/repair, transplants, etc.), while orthopedics is largely pretty rough (sawing off big chunks of bone, sticking huge rods into bone, etc.). Interestingly enough, the stereotypes of surgeons in these fields seem to match the type of surgery they do. CT surgeons seem to be very intense, cerebral, and oftentimes complete sociopaths. Orthopedic surgeons, on the other hand, are more of the meat-head athletes that actually discuss how much they can bench press. Of course orthopedic surgeons are not meat-heads, since it's one of the most competitive residencies out there, but I couldn't think of a better description.

That's my two cents.

I agree with Nutty... post. The residency program for both cardiology and CT surgery are under intricate investigation right now. It seems that matters dealing with cardiovascular pathology need more training specifically directed towards just that, and less concerned with general internal medicine or general surgery. I suspect that the lengths will not be changed significantly, but near future may hold a more specifically detailed training with regards to the practice of cardiology and CT surgery. As far as attitudes are concerned, I find that Nutty... is right on the dot, CT surgeons are generally very cerebral, serious, and rediculously serious people, while Ortho surgeons are more laid back, and mechanical. Most likely this has to do with the types of patients they deal with day to day. CT surgeons see patients whose very lives depend on the success or failure of their surgeon, while Ortho surgeons generally deal with athletes and elderly patients. Both have pros and cons, but in the end, are both very detail- oriented, successful practices, finacially speaking especially!