Cardiovascular pathology fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

harisjameel

Reaction score
Why can't I find many programs that offer cardiovascular pathology fellowships? Is it a rare field or people don't apply much.

Members don't see this ad.

Why can't I find many programs that offer cardiovascular pathology fellowships? Is it a rare field or people don't apply much.

yes to both. Strangely, a possible back door to cards path would be forensics associated with a major training center. at baltimore, renu virmani used to come over every week from the afip for “heart cutting” much like brain cutting. Roberts did the same at bathesda in the 70’s.he would walk across the street from nih. you get more “raw” material with forensics. a number of name ( from the 70’s) neuropaths were started or deeply involved with forensics.

Reactions: 1 user
In general, people need hearts to live so autopsies or a major transplant center are the only places you will see significant volume. You might look into pulmonary or thoracic pathology fellowships, often cardiac is bundled under there. Being comfortable with lung, thymus and transplant biopsies could help sell your fellowship choice as cardiac pathology is not a frequently sought-after discipline.

Members don't see this ad :)
Because there's not enough material & reimbursement to dedicate 12 months of tax-payer funded fellowship for it. It's lumped in with "thoracic".

Because there's not enough material & reimbursement to dedicate 12 months of tax-payer funded fellowship for it. It's lumped in with "thoracic".

No, there are institutions that offer dedicated cardiovascular pathology fellowships, such as Mayo Clinic, Cleveland Clinic, and BWH.

Sounds like a pointless choice other than the forensics route. The NYOCME offers a two year fellowship. The second year is mostly dedicated to neuro and cardiac (forensic) pathology.

I recommend a fellowship in aortic valve pathology just to narrow it down a bit more

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
To circle back to my point, you WILL see much more cardiac path (with unexpected findings) in a forensic assoc with a medical school. What limited surgical pathology of the heart that there is can be quickly learned. Cardiac path for all intents and purposes is gross pathology. How many hearts per day you gonna get at a transplant center. And their disease and anatomy is already very, very well documented.

Reactions: 1 users
No, there are institutions that offer dedicated cardiovascular pathology fellowships, such as Mayo Clinic, Cleveland Clinic, and BWH.
The question is why can't the op find MANY, and the reason is because there's not enough material & reimbursement to dedicate 12 months of tax-payer funded fellowship for it. I didn't say there weren't any.
Oh I forgot to add "because if would be a waste of your time unless you want to pigeonhole yourself into working at an extremely limited number of facilities that hopefully are in need of a cardiovascular pathologist to work up their transplant cases or have your heart set [pun intended] on research."