Cards Match Stats

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shs

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

There were 660 cardiology positions - 657 were filled; 3 went unfilled. Does anyone know how many people applied....I think the number is around 1450-1500 (around a 44-45% match rate) but am not sure?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

If your figure for the # of applicants is right, that makes cards fellowship more competitive than any of the surgical subspecialties, derm, ENT, neurosurg, etc.... I really want to do cards but I don't want to get stuck w/o a spot after 3 years of medicine.... anyone else have any info on this

Myostatin said:
If your figure for the # of applicants is right, that makes cards fellowship more competitive than any of the surgical subspecialties, derm, ENT, neurosurg, etc.... I really want to do cards but I don't want to get stuck w/o a spot after 3 years of medicine.... anyone else have any info on this

I saw the NRMP's stats the other day. There were roughly 840 people who applied but did not match this year. Scary stuff.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes - I have heard the same thing - approx 800+ people who applied did not match in cardiology.

That would also correlate with my earlier figure - approx 1500 people applied.

Also, it would be interesting to compare this to match statistics for the competitive surgical specialties, ent, derm, neurosurgery, etc....if anyone has any hard numbers, feel free to post.

When considering the data and deciding whether to pursue cards, be sure to pay attention to the relative numbers of US grads to FMG's. In the past, the majority of applicants (60-70% or more) were FMG's. The data from the AAMC indicates that over the last 2-3 years, there were MORE spots available than actual US grad applicants. Sure there are a ton of applicants and the overall match rate is pretty darn low, but I imagine the match rate for US grads going into cards is much higher.

scholes is right.

Looking at the careers in medicine site for 2005, 565 US grads applied and 426 made it. That's a bit over 75%. Compare that to 628 non-US grads that applied and only 200 made it. That's a bit over 31%.

scholes said:
if my boy UCLADukes aint faded now, he will be within the next 4-6 hours
do you apply cardiology after your 3 years of IM or straight out of medschool?

Ramoray said:
do you apply cardiology after your 3 years of IM or straight out of medschool?

Most apply to cardiology during their second year of residency. There are a few programs (Wash U for example) that have a cardiology "fast track" (this is sort of a misnomer, see below) that you do 1-2 years of IM and 4+ years of cardiology with a concentration in research. In this program, I believe you are not eligible to sit for the IM boards, but rather become boarded in cardiology only. They call it "fast track" but I have heard of some people who had a hard time with their research and the program did not graduate them from the program within the 5-6 year time period that you were expecting.

scholes said:
Most apply to cardiology during their second year of residency. There are a few programs (Wash U for example) that have a cardiology "fast track" (this is sort of a misnomer, see below) that you do 1-2 years of IM and 4+ years of cardiology with a concentration in research. In this program, I believe you are not eligible to sit for the IM boards, but rather become boarded in cardiology only. They call it "fast track" but I have heard of some people who had a hard time with their research and the program did not graduate them from the program within the 5-6 year time period that you were expecting.

As a cardiology fellow at Wash U, I can tell you that fast-trackers are indeed eligible for the boards. Every fast-tracker that has finished our program that I know of has been boarded in internal medicine and cardiology. Also, just about every one that I know of who fast-tracked into cardiology has finished in their scheduled amount of time. Yes, you are correct: you do not finish your training in a shorter amount of time. However, there are three important differences between this and the conventional route:

1. You are guaranteed a cardiology fellowship position before you even start your internship.
2. You spend less time as a resident and more time as fellow. Personally, I really enjoyed my residency. But, there is no denying life as a fellow is even better.
3. Many of these fast-trackers were guaranteed subspecialty fellowships (EP) early on in their cardiology fellowship.

kingofhearts said:
As a cardiology fellow at Wash U, I can tell you that fast trackers are indeed eligible for the boards. Every fast-tracker that has finished our program that I know of has been boarded in internal medicine and cardiology. Also, just about every one that I know of who fast-tracked into cardiology has finished in their scheduled amount of time. Yes, you are correct: you do not finish your training in a shorter amount of time. However, there are three important differences between this and the conventional route:

1. You are guaranteed a cardiology fellowship position before you even start your internship.
2. You spend less time as a resident and more time as fellow. Personally, I really enjoyed my residency. But, there is no denying life as a fellow is even better.
3. Many of these short-trackers were guaranteed subspecialty fellowships (EP) early on in their cardiology fellowship.

How does one go about securing a "fast track" Cariology fellowship?? I'm about to apply for the upcoming match and this seems like a great option if you know what fellowship you want early on.

redzz said:
How does one go about securing a "fast track" Cariology fellowship?? I'm about to apply for the upcoming match and this seems like a great option if you know what fellowship you want early on.

At Wash U, MD/PhDs are allowed to fast-track. MD/PhD applicants to our medicine residency are identified as candidates for fast-tracking. During their interview day, they meet with one of the directors of our Physician Scientist Training Program (PSTP). If they express a research interest in a particular subspecialty, they may be offered the option to fast-track into a fellowship position.

kingofhearts said:
At Wash U, MD/PhDs are allowed to fast-track. MD/PhD applicants to our medicine residency are identified as candidates for fast-tracking. During their interview day, they meet with one of the directors of our Physician Scientist Training Program (PSTP). If they express a research interest in a particular subspecialty, they may be offered the option to fast-track into a fellowship position.

I tried to find info on the fast track program online, but couldn't. Any suggestions? Also, does anyone know of other programs that offer this opportunity? Much obliged.