Career advice from nurse's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PsychadelicTech

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, interested in nursing. I signed up for my first perquisite in the Spring of next year, only have to take Anatomy 1/2 and the TEAS then apply to an associate program.

I already have my bachelor's was planning on doing my ADN then do RN to Master's.

Cost wise the ADN is cheaper than the BSN. Additionally, length of time is shorter.

Working in healthcare know BSN is the way to go and I definitely will go for my MSN after completion of the ADN.

What are your thought's? Better do the ADN then the MSN or just go for the BSN?

Appreciate the insight offered up.

Have a good one.

Members don't see this ad.

My thought is if you pursued your ADN first you could begin working and enroll in a distance learning RN-MSN. This way you could start working/making money sooner.

What's the purpose for pursuing the MSN?

A lot of this depends on your area. In my area (NYC), you will have a very difficult time getting a job in most hospitals with an ADN, especially the "name" hospitals. City hospitals, nursing homes, etc. would be somewhat easier.

If you already have a bachelors degree, then the time it takes to get your BSN may be the same as how long it takes to get an ADN, if not faster since there are many accelerated BSN programs for second degree students. I'm doing a traditional BSN program as a second degree student, and it's 2 years long full-time (since we've already completed the liberal arts and science courses), which is the same length as ADN programs.

When I initially was deciding, I was set on going to the community college ADN program, saving my money, not go into any debt, then do RN-BSN while working as an RN. However, after talking to many people, including the dean of that program, I realized how hard it is to get a job with an ADN in my area, and I didn't want to be twiddling my thumbs for months after being done with school. So, although my BSN program is more expensive, I think that it was the right thing to do to open as many doors as possible after graduation.

Hope that helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
Reason for the MSN is mostly for job prospects stand out with employer's. By 2020 every nurse has to be in a BSN program or have a BSN with my employer. So figure can skip the BSN even though the RN -MSN program you obtain a BSN during the program.

Other reason is eligible for Graduate financial aid for the RN to MSN program.

I keep going back and forth. I mean I won't start the ADN program till Fall 2017. The BSN start Spring of 2018.

If I didn't have bills to pay I go the accelerated route, but I don't ha. Need to work debated working in the accelerated program friend is in one and said nor possible.

Reason for the MSN is mostly for job prospects stand out with employer's. By 2020 every nurse has to be in a BSN program or have a BSN with my employer. So figure can skip the BSN even though the RN -MSN program you obtain a BSN during the program.

Other reason is eligible for Graduate financial aid for the RN to MSN program.

I keep going back and forth. I mean I won't start the ADN program till Fall 2017. The BSN start Spring of 2018.

If I didn't have bills to pay I go the accelerated route, but I don't ha. Need to work debated working in the accelerated program friend is in one and said nor possible.

If your goal is direct patient care, an MSN won't do much for you (that I'm aware of).

I actually did get in touch with a few BSN programs said the same thing requires 3 year's to complete even with a bachelor's degree. I wasn't sure if included pre reqs in those 3 year's.

I know the Associate is 3 year's a year of pre requisites and 2 year's of nursing school.

So I assume.

Look at the job offerings for RNs in your area, or the area you hope to work in. Often, they will say whether a BSN is required or "strongly preferred". This can help you in deciding what is best.

Yes, some BSN programs are 3 years to complete even after the pre-reqs. For example, I know CUNY Hunter in NYC is a 3 year program after you're done with the liberal arts and sciences. There are also many that are 2 years, or 2.5 years. If you go to the websites of the programs you're considering, you should be able to see a curriculum progression plan that shows what you take each semester. Then of course there are the accelerated programs that can be from 1 year to 1.5 years, though it may be very difficult to fit work in that type of schedule.

As far as the masters goes, well, that would be great if you're considering management positions, being a clinical instructor, or the various advanced practice roles (i.e. NP, CRNA, CNS, CNM).

If you'd like, post the programs you're considering, or you can PM me, and I'll see how long the programs would take.

I live in Maryland and my sister is an RN with an ADN and a BS in biology. She has having a lot of difficulty finding a job outside of a nursing home. If you live in a rural area the job prospects will be better, but the preference for BSNs over ADNs is very real. If I were going into nursing I would become an ER tech or hospital tech (pays $15 an hour around me) and pursue a BSN. This way you get hands on experience while obtaining the superior degree.

Hello! This is my first post here, but as a nurse I can definitely be of some assistance.

It ALL depends on where you would like to end up working. Like others have said, the ADN is quickly being phased out of hospitals in all areas of the country. It will be incredibly unlikely that you will find a job in a hospital in any metropolitan or suburban hospital. If you are willing to relocate to a rural area in a less desirable state, you will greatly increase your chances of finding hospital work with the ADN. Depending on your location, the ADN could get you a position as a nurse in a long term care or skilled nursing facility. But, be sure to know the market around you. Where I am, these positions are commonly being filled with new graduate BSN's as a stepping stone to hospital work. You will commonly hear about a "nursing shortage", however it varies greatly across the country and you will not find any shortage in the cities.

HOWEVER, I would encourage you to look into an Accelerated BSN program if you already have a bachelor's degree. These programs vary in length, but can be anywhere from 12-18 months. I used my previous degree to get into a 12 month Accelerated BSN program and all of my classmates (60 of us) had job offers before graduation in hospitals. After your first semester, you will be qualified to work as a tech on the hospital floors. This is a great way to get experience for that new grad resume and your foot in the door with a hospital.

The MSN is typically used to specialize or go into leadership, and is best used to advance an existing career. If you're interested in Nurse Practitioner, Certified Nurse Midwife, or Certified Nurse Anesthetist programs these are completely separate and unique from an MSN. These specialized programs almost universally require at LEAST a year of experience working in a hospital with patients and a BSN. The MSN will NOT give you a BSN while you're in the program- they are distinctly different tracts with different goals. There are some direct entry MSN programs that you can enter with an unrelated bachelors that prepares you for an RN certification your first year, but you WILL NOT receive a BSN.

Tl;dr- ADN's are being phased out of hospitals across the country. They are typically hired in long-term care or skilled nursing facilities. If you want to work in a hospital, consider an Accelerated BSN.
MSN programs do not give you a BSN. BSN programs are focused on pathophysiology, nursing skills, and providing patient care while MSN programs are typically focused on leadership and specialization. Programs such as Certified Nurse Anesthetist, Nurse Practitioner, and Certified Nurse Midwife require at the very least one year of experience in a HOSPITAL setting. Consider this when applying for ADN programs if this is your goal, as it will be very difficult to get that year.
It all depends on where you want to end up. The BSN will give you far more options.

Mastering in a field that you have no experience in will do very little for you. You need to establish your career first.

If you're set on doing the ADN first, then look into an RN to BSN program instead of RN to MSN. Many places you work will require it within five years if you are hired with an ADN.

Again, the MSN does NOT give you a BSN.

I work as a Tech at a magnet hospital, about $18-$20 an hour. Unfortunately an accelerated is not an option unless I can work 24 hour's a week and heard some accelerated program's make you sign a contract saying won't work during the program. I am interested in the ADN due to the assumption be quicker route in achieving RN license.

I completed an ABSN program, it was rigorous but doable. I did not work during the program. It is harder and harder trying to get a job with just an ADN, unless you are already within a large system. Take the route that works best for you. Most magnet hospital will prefer BSN-RN but will give you a grace period after being hire to get your BSN and may even pay a portion of the tuition.

Good Luck with whatever you decide. I am now a psych NP after having originally gone to pharmacy school. PM if you have any questions.

Highland Minority.