Career Advice: Your Opinion is Welcome

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MataLeon

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings! This is my first post. I have been lurking on the forum for a while now. I am a fairly new graduate. I have had 3 years intern experience in retail. I am currently working in a hospital setting where I have staff and clinical responsibilities. I know I have a good job. Please do not think I am complaining about it. However, I do not have a great deal of job satisfaction. I found out during internship that retail is not for me. I would like to have more patient contact.
I am considering a residency. The thought of PA school has crossed my mind. There is a medical school close to where I live. I know med school at this point would be a dumb idea. Other options not patient contact related that I have considered are studying to obtain a MPH or a Master’s of Management. The catch is that I have a mother who I love very much that has a condition that requires I be located reasonably close to her.
Sometimes I tell myself that I have a great job in a respected field and to be happy where I am. Should I stop looking at the shades of green on the other side of the fence?

.I ask you wise forum members. What are some good options?.

Members don't see this ad.

Greetings! This is my first post. I have been lurking on the forum for a while now. I am a fairly new graduate. I have had 3 years intern experience in retail. I am currently working in a hospital setting where I have staff and clinical responsibilities. I know I have a good job. Please do not think I am complaining about it. However, I do not have a great deal of job satisfaction. I found out during internship that retail is not for me. I would like to have more patient contact.
I am considering a residency. The thought of PA school has crossed my mind. There is a medical school close to where I live. I know med school at this point would be a dumb idea. Other options not patient contact related that I have considered are studying to obtain a MPH or a Master's of Management. The catch is that I have a mother who I love very much that has a condition that requires I be located reasonably close to her.
Sometimes I tell myself that I have a great job in a respected field and to be happy where I am. Should I stop looking at the shades of green on the other side of the fence?

.I ask you wise forum members. What are some good options?.

I don't think anyone else can tell you what will give you the most "job satisfaction." It is a personal choice. Figure out what you liked from rotations and go with that.

Your mother has a "condition that requires" you be located close to her?

Is this a medical condition? If so, then there are many medical facilities across the country which provide great medical care. Take her with you.

If its a "condition" of personal acceptance, then you need to make a decision of how much you want that to control your life.

I have an elderly mother who occasionally requires assistance from family due to medical conditions (when she breaks a hip or some such). I'm 800 miles from her, but I trade off with my siblings to care for her & can make this work with my job. School would be another issue.

Do you have siblings?

Altho my mom would love to have me 20 minutes away, she has come to realize, over the 30 years I've been this far away, that I'm really not that far. I long ago decided that as long as my parents were alive, I'd be close enough to an airport to get there. So, when my dad was dying, I was able to get there fast & was there - not so much for him, but for her.

Its a tough decision & one you must make on your own. Do you have an SO who you need to consider as well? We all must make compromises - this is just one.

Good luck!

Just to clarify it is a medical condition.