Get rich quick career

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score

We did it gang, we can finally redirect all these get rich quick pharmacy students to another seemingly high paying gig without the need for student loans…let them all glaze over how brutally demanding working such a job is in reality just as pharmacy

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Damn that's really good pay. They bust their ass, well deserved. Meanwhile Amazon warehouse workers work just as hard and make nothing.

Reactions: 1 user
I think it's 170,000 including retirement and healthcare, which is not bad for a blue collar job. There's literally no reason anymore to spend 8 years in school for a PharmD. Wouldn't even do it for free.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
But seriously, thought this looked like an interesting video…definitely had to do a double take (like there has to be more in depth to this, on face value, no way this adds up…). I mean working overtime every week the entire year to hit these numbers seems a bit misleading and hard, grueling, relentless back breaking work certainly isn’t for everyone. Pretty cool seeing more recognition, importance for supply chain, logistic workers though

You'll definitely break your back after a few years. Not worth it in the long run.

While it’s nice that they make a lot of money, I’ve never met a happy USPS worker, so I’d never work for them, no matter how much they pay me

I know like 4 people that got this gig and gave it up within a few years. You earn every one of those $170k. You get beaten on like a rented mule.

• Sad
Reactions: 7 users
Just get a CS degree or go to a coding bootcamp. You can get paid incredibly well with minimal/no student debt AND enjoy a cushy work environment

• Okay...
Just get a CS degree or go to a coding bootcamp. You can get paid incredibly well with minimal/no student debt AND enjoy a cushy work environment
I do wonder, has the gravy train passed with CS for those starting?

Just become a GI doc and get $5000/day locum rate

I am a hospitalist and there was GI doc at my shop that was getting 5k/day. He was going to be there for 14 straight days and joke that he will make more money in 14 days than what he made in his last year of fellowship. Imagine making 70k in 14 days.

I am a hospitalist and there was GI doc at my shop that was getting 5k/day. He was going to be there for 14 straight days and joke that he will make more money in 14 days than what he made in his last year of fellowship. Imagine making 70k in 14 days.
I'd get a room to live in at the hospital, work there every day for a year, then move to like Montenegro or something and retire forever.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
I do wonder, has the gravy train passed with CS for those starting?
Nah, job market keeps growing especially if everyone is trying to stay modern with new tech. I don't see it stopping any time soon. It will decrease as soon as AI can create very simple parts of the application but it will be small decrease.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
There are still jobs to be had in software engineering as long as you’re not applying to FAANG that is equivalent to us going for only unicorn non-retail and non-hospital jobs.

The average software engineering still works in far better conditions than us at CVS and Walgreens and gets paid as much as us if not more after a few years of experience.

My oldest son, now 32, graduated with a degree in History (I know....) as he was planning on attending Law School. Well, he changed his mind (who knew), nixed Law school attendance! He was looking for a job in food services - server!
Through my contacts, hooked him up with an acquaintance who was with a large software company, Sage. He got coached well and was sharp enough to get a job with Sage Corp., they provided all certifications and became administrator for Salesforce. They paid for all his training and he jumped ship, over to IBM. After 7 years with IBM, he is making more than me, a history major!

My younger son, now 28, was just taking college classes, not knowing what he wanted to do. He dropped out with 1 semester left to finish a business degree. My wife had a friend whose husband was a regional vice president with E*Trade. He pulled some strings, got my son in as customer service rep. The company sponsored him to take the series 7 and 63, 65 exams. He passed them all and now he is a Stock Broker, CFP, and money manager. E*Trade is now Morgan Stanley, and he is on track to make more than me (without a BS degree).

Certainly NOT get rich quick stories, but they are making good money!
Good fortune? Luck? Contacts? A little of both? Plus hard work and smarts, on their side.

Reactions: 4 users
Moral of the story: you can go anywhere with a little nepotism.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
My oldest son, now 32, graduated with a degree in History (I know....) as he was planning on attending Law School. Well, he changed his mind (who knew), nixed Law school attendance! He was looking for a job in food services - server!
Through my contacts, hooked him up with an acquaintance who was with a large software company, Sage. He got coached well and was sharp enough to get a job with Sage Corp., they provided all certifications and became administrator for Salesforce. They paid for all his training and he jumped ship, over to IBM. After 7 years with IBM, he is making more than me, a history major!

My younger son, now 28, was just taking college classes, not knowing what he wanted to do. He dropped out with 1 semester left to finish a business degree. My wife had a friend whose husband was a regional vice president with E*Trade. He pulled some strings, got my son in as customer service rep. The company sponsored him to take the series 7 and 63, 65 exams. He passed them all and now he is a Stock Broker, CFP, and money manager. E*Trade is now Morgan Stanley, and he is on track to make more than me (without a BS degree).

Certainly NOT get rich quick stories, but they are making good money!
Good fortune? Luck? Contacts? A little of both? Plus hard work and smarts, on their side.

I know a guy who was president of his fraternity and graduated with a history degree from UCLA. He got hooked up with a commercial real estate company. He now owns a beach house in Manhattan Beach.

Connection can really make someone’s career into something big. Is it fair? No but that is how a cookie crumbed.

I, on the other hand, didnt know the right people but I still made it with early and aggressive investing. Of course thanks to my good friends at the Fed who can’t stop printing money for last 15 years.

Don’t we promote never burning a bridge because pharmacy is a small world? America often functions on who is the best connected, not necessarily who is most qualified for the role.

Btw rxdoc I’m not saying your son didn’t work etc. just countering the nepotism angle.

Don’t we promote never burning a bridge because pharmacy is a small world? America often functions on who is the best connected, not necessarily who is most qualified for the role.

Btw rxdoc I’m not saying your son didn’t work etc. just countering the nepotism angle.
Hey, absolutely no issues with what you are saying. And I would do it again, and again.
The nepotism angle goes right up to the Prez and his kid!
At least my kids weren't into hookers and blow!

• Love
I'd get a room to live in at the hospital, work there every day for a year, then move to like Montenegro or something and retire forever.
Pharmacist with no residency and make 140k a year sounds better. Imagine fellowship and residency and then you are in late 30's-40's before you enjoy any of it.

Pharmacist with no residency and make 140k a year sounds better. Imagine fellowship and residency and then you are in late 30's-40's before you enjoy any of it.
I guess it's making 120-160k at the age of 26 vs. making 500-700k at the age of 32-33. I will pick the later.

I understand the argument about opportunity cost and everything, but it's not like pharmacists in their late 20s are in Ibiza every 3 month enjoying life.

I guess it's making 120-160k at the age of 26 vs. making 500-700k at the age of 32-33. I will pick the later.

I understand the argument about opportunity cost and everything, but it's not like pharmacists in their late 20s are in Ibiza every 3 month enjoying life.

How many people have the skills to make 500-700k per year? It's not like anyone can just decide to do that career path.

How many people have the skills to make 500-700k per year? It's not like anyone can just decide to do that career path.

I was only talking about the medical field.

You are right that becoming a GI doc is extremely difficult. But becoming an FM or IM doc is not.

In that case, 120-180k/yr at the age of 26 vs. 250-400k/yr at of 29-30; I will still pick the later.

Last edited:
Still doesn't beat software engineering where you can earn $80-120k at age 22 and $150-200k by age 30, with even less student debt and lost earnings opportunity cost while in school and residency. Also much better work life balance, e.g. fewer hours, being able to work from home, etc.

Still doesn't beat software engineering where you can earn $80-120k at age 22 and $150-200k by age 30, with even less student debt and lost earnings opportunity cost while in school and residency. Also much better work life balance, e.g. fewer hours, being able to work from home, etc.

I notice people in SDN tend to underplay job security, but overemphasize opportunity cost.

I notice people in SDN tend to underplay job security, but overemphasize opportunity cost.

From what I have seen, people everywhere else seem to do the opposite - overemphasize gross pay and job security and underplay opportunity cost, work life balance, and work conditions.

A lot of people who work bull**** desk jobs from home or a comfortable office only look at the high gross salary and job security of some healthcare professionals without realizing how difficult the job is, the amount of schooling and student debt we took on to get to where we are, and the risk of killing someone by honest mistake and being sent to prison for manslaughter.

From what I have seen, people everywhere else seem to do the opposite - overemphasize gross pay and job security and underplay opportunity cost, work life balance, and work conditions.

A lot of people who work bull**** desk jobs from home or a comfortable office only look at the high gross salary and job security of some healthcare professionals without realizing how difficult the job is, the amount of schooling and student debt we took on to get to where we are, and the risk of killing someone by honest mistake and being sent to prison for manslaughter.
That is probably correct. A lot people envy us (medicine/dentistry/pharmacy). A case of the grass is greener on the other side...

Every single thread in SDN is about how bad dentistry/pharmacy/medicine are, but always have good things to say about CS and engineering.

My best friend has been a civil engineer for > 10 yrs and is stuck making low six-figure for a few years working > 50 hrs/week.

Last edited:
I've never understood why more people in pharmacy become mediocre uniformed officers, sit in some outpost in IHS or hardship area for 20 years, do the bare minimum, make Lt. Commander (if incredibly mediocre unless you were a mustang) or Commander (if average), and pension well for the rest of their lives comfortably in FIRE. I've seen so many success stories out of it where I don't understand why it isn't taken up more often. Pharmacy is one of the easier jobs within the Medical Service Corps.

When I was working as Pediatric Intensive Care Pharmacist at a major pediatric transplant center, I made friends with a surgical fellow. A real nice guy, his training AFTER medical school was 10 years. This was after residencies and fellowships, because he wanted to be a pediatric heart transplant surgeon. The crazy part was that, by the time he finished pre-med, med school, residency, fellowship, it would have been 18 years!!!
He would be 37-38yo, and there was no job opening in our state for him, since we were the only pediatric heart transplant center in the state and we had two surgeons (that were training him).

I've never understood why more people in pharmacy become mediocre uniformed officers, sit in some outpost in IHS or hardship area for 20 years, do the bare minimum, make Lt. Commander (if incredibly mediocre unless you were a mustang) or Commander (if average), and pension well for the rest of their lives comfortably in FIRE. I've seen so many success stories out of it where I don't understand why it isn't taken up more often. Pharmacy is one of the easier jobs within the Medical Service Corps.

But this would mean moving to the middle of nowhere for 20 years for the prime years of your life, right?

That doesn't seem like a quick way to get rich. 4 years undergrad, 4 years medical school, 3 years internal med fellowship, then 3 years GI fellowship.

Nah, job market keeps growing especially if everyone is trying to stay modern with new tech. I don't see it stopping any time soon. It will decrease as soon as AI can create very simple parts of the application but it will be small decrease.
Yes but this can be outsourced also. And that bootcamp s not easy.

That sounds lonely and miserable. Might as well become a monk if you want to live in isolation with no expenses.

Yep, sitting on your @$$ all day trying one’s best to appear to being doing actual work (very questionable what constitutes actual work) with half @$$ skills that ensure any project will be incomplete (always demand for work) because you’re always having to work on some “update” fixing one’s own shoddy work

I‘d argue that IT people are belonging amongst the lawyers, politicians, and accountants

But this would mean moving to the middle of nowhere for 20 years for the prime years of your life, right?
I briefly considered going that route but decided not to pursue it for this reason. Life on most reservations is pretty shocking.

That doesn't seem like a quick way to get rich. 4 years undergrad, 4 years medical school, 3 years internal med fellowship, then 3 years GI fellowship.
There are not that many quick ways to get rich. May be a quick way to be financially independent in your early 40

Yep, sitting on your @$$ all day trying one’s best to appear to being doing actual work (very questionable what constitutes actual work) with half @$$ skills that ensure any project will be incomplete (always demand for work) because you’re always having to work on some “update” fixing one’s own shoddy work

I‘d argue that IT people are belonging amongst the lawyers, politicians, and accountants
So like all federal and state government workers right 🤣

• Haha
To the OP, the people, you are addressing here, are as far removed from "get rich quick" as you can get. We are the slow and steady profession, until you are burned out and quit!
Although, my oldest son's future father-in-law, is a career UPS driver. We talk about our career paths. For him, Great pay, great benefits, the work scope and pace is brutal! Which route you get means everything. He says over 50% of new hires wash out within months. He has been there 35 years, he is set for life, but they are squeezing him out at 55, replacing him with a 20yo for half the money. They are giving him routes and time lines that are just impossible. They write him up and then make it even harder for him.

A few years back, I had a recruiter put me in touch with an employer, Norton Sound Conserv., I think. They managed a hospital with 12 beds, and a 4-bed ICU in Juneau, Alaska. No Alaska License necessary, since it was on Federal Indian Land. Pay was $260K to $285K a year, $20K relocation pay. And 2 year contract. You would have to know everything about hospital pharmacy. You would be the only pharmacist in town!~Be on call 24hrs / 365 days. There are no roads in, only ferry service until the bay freezes over, small aircraft landing, until the landing strip is unusable. The winters go down to -40 F and you have daylight for 90 minutes.
Over half a million$, maybe $600K in 24 months. No state tax. They offered room and board, nowhere to spend any of that money.
How is that for "get rich quick"?
I didn't pursue the position, due to family obligations, and cowardly tendencies.

• Wow
  • Haha
That’s not very much for what you’re describing. I worked a decent amt of OT last year and broke 200k. I think I made 206k. 50k more to live in middle of nowhere and working 24/7 365…. No thanks.
If I was a freshly minted pharmacist, I’d have probably taken that offer. I was single and had no student loans. Great way to spring board my career and savings.

That’s not very much for what you’re describing. I worked a decent amt of OT last year and broke 200k. I think I made 206k. 50k more to live in middle of nowhere and working 24/7 365…. No thanks.
Free room and board is huge too.

If I was a freshly minted pharmacist, I’d have probably taken that offer. I was single and had no student loans. Great way to spring board my career and savings.
They definitely not looking for freshly minted pharmacist, they wanted 20+ years of experience. AND, I wasn't saying it was the opportunity of a lifetime, just a decent deal. Like I pointed out, not huge money, and that's why I didn't take the job.
I have been working, full time, for the last 37 years, never got close to $200K. Again, slow and steady, that's our profession, hence, back to get rich quick, NO.

They definitely not looking for freshly minted pharmacist, they wanted 20+ years of experience. AND, I wasn't saying it was the opportunity of a lifetime, just a decent deal. Like I pointed out, not huge money, and that's why I didn't take the job.
I have been working, full time, for the last 37 years, never got close to $200K. Again, slow and steady, that's our profession, hence, back to get rich quick, NO.

What Rph with 20+ years experience would take that? Most people have a family or at least a spouse by then.

No thanks, is exactly what I said. Not a deal of a lifetime.
Money, at my age, isn't a great motivator. Family, quality of life, health, trumps everything else. I have never come close to $200 K, ever. But I would put my cumulative 38 years of income, up against anybody's. Again, slow and steady, that's how we roll.
What Rph with 20+ years experience would take that? Most people have a family or at least a spouse by then.
Apparently, somebody does, they have staffed that hospital for decades. I see that job coming up, every once in a while, for years. And, you wouldn't want a newbie to be in that position, all by themselves. You pretty much need the years experience.
Plus, you would be surprised how many pharmacists my age are divorced, or in-between marriages and empty nesters.

Single and zero intention of having a family (non breeder)…still doesn’t sound appealing (couldn‘t enjoy things I like nor have a lifestyle I’d be ok with living in such desolate/isolated conditions)

Again, I have never seen $190-$200K salary, probably never will, in my lifetime. If I was single, I would go, take on the challenge.
I agree with you. I’d endure two to three years of servitude.

But it’s 24/7 365. You could easily work in a nice place and pick up shifts like crazy
My friend works as a Director of Pharmacy at a small hospital and pick up shifts at a different one on the weekend. He makes ~280k a year. All under the sunny warm southern California weather.