Career Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LightInAugust41

Reaction score
Good afternoon!

I've searched through this forum and haven't come across a similar post, but please re-direct me if this belongs elsewhere. I write to you in search of some advice regarding my current situation (and recommendations on how to better it).

I am a 30-year-old male, working as a clinical research associate for a start-up pharmaceutical company in the Northeast. The thing is: I do close-to-nothing at work. I'm not sure if this is a symptom of the 'corporate setting', start-ups, or relatively unique to me. I am essentially a glorified cubicle statue, doing minor data entry once a month. Sounds great on paper and, had this been explained two years ago, I probably would have been enthused. Anyway, I need to get out. I earned this Pharm.D. to develop and leverage skills to help folks out (mental health & substance abuse, in particular). Ironically, I feel like my own mental and physical health are suffering in this current setting.

Long story short - I would be GREATLY appreciative of any advice you can offer on what I can do next. Perhaps some unorthodox positions that are more gratifying. Like I said, I do just want to use this education to help folks who are suffering. If that means a considerable pay cut, it's fine. I have paid off the entirety of my debt, am single w/ no children.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this. This means more to me than it may seem on paper (computer)...

Thank you and happy Thursday!

John

Members don't see this ad.

That sounds really nice after what I've seen out there...

I heard of one guy in a similar situation. He could lock his office and had an army cot he brought in set up in there. Would sleep at his "do nothing" job and then work nights afterwards. Basically made two fulltime RPH salaries for 2 years... Ever thought of doing something similar?

Reactions: 1 user
1) Max out your credit cards and other loans on cars and vacations. Aim for about $200k in loans.

2) Quit your job and go work for CVS.

3) Welcome yourself to being a member of the proletariat of the profession.

In all seriousness though, I would start with a per diem job in hospital or retail.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
That's actually not uncommon in clinical trials to have a "do nothing" sinecure. I'd take it for what it is, and probably work on other matters in life since this does not last (clinical trial funding, even from industry, is pretty unstable at sites). Unless you want to advance up, you probably should learn about the other aspects of the other jobs while there (regulatory, QA, management). That will take you a couple of years.

And, depending on what you're responsible for, that might be the job. Just to be the walking signature.

Reactions: 1 users
I want one of those do nothing jobs. How do I sign up???!!!

Reactions: 1 user
Yo sign me up...I'm tired of not having time to eat and poop

Good afternoon!

I've searched through this forum and haven't come across a similar post, but please re-direct me if this belongs elsewhere. I write to you in search of some advice regarding my current situation (and recommendations on how to better it).

I am a 30-year-old male, working as a clinical research associate for a start-up pharmaceutical company in the Northeast. The thing is: I do close-to-nothing at work. I'm not sure if this is a symptom of the 'corporate setting', start-ups, or relatively unique to me. I am essentially a glorified cubicle statue, doing minor data entry once a month. Sounds great on paper and, had this been explained two years ago, I probably would have been enthused. Anyway, I need to get out. I earned this Pharm.D. to develop and leverage skills to help folks out (mental health & substance abuse, in particular). Ironically, I feel like my own mental and physical health are suffering in this current setting.

Long story short - I would be GREATLY appreciative of any advice you can offer on what I can do next. Perhaps some unorthodox positions that are more gratifying. Like I said, I do just want to use this education to help folks who are suffering. If that means a considerable pay cut, it's fine. I have paid off the entirety of my debt, am single w/ no children.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this. This means more to me than it may seem on paper (computer)...

Thank you and happy Thursday!

John
Earn an online degree?
Learn to program?

Subcontract your current job and work somewhere else?