Career Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cynthia08

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all
I have a friend who needs advice. (I actually am going to vet school but doing him a favor by posting this.) He has a degree in chemistry and is teaching high school science right now. He primarily wants to do counseling but does not want to go to grad school. His main question is how plausible is it for him to go to med school for psychiatry but primarily focus on counseling for things like anxiety/depression/mood disorders in his future practice. Also how necessary is a phd in psych as opposed to a masters in counseling? Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

Why would he go to med school to just be a counsellor? I have nothing against counsellors, but he should just get the 2 year MA, get a license to counsel and enjoy!

:)

psisci said:
Why would he go to med school to just be a counsellor? I have nothing against counsellors, but he should just get the 2 year MA, get a license to counsel and enjoy!

:)
Or for that matter, find a local MSSW (Master's of Science in Social Work)program that's one year long. Less tuition outlay, quicker entry to the workforce, quicker acceptance to provider panels for 3rd party reimbursement :thumbup:

Earning a Masters in Counseling or Social work, any of the two would serve his purpose. Counseling does not require his attendance to medical school if any thing go to Graduate school of psychology and get a doctorate degree (caution: not that easy to get accepted into).

Good luck