Career Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dikoerastenie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Got rejected at every med school last year. Have high mcat and low gpa. Enrolled at smp program and doing quite well. But no interviews offered this year. I feel that my grades and mcat are now more than enough to get some interviews... So really pissed about these rejections. Also I did apply to DO schools. If I don't get in, I don't intend to reapply because I do not anticipate any improvement in my application. People with lower stats get in. Also I am definitely not going to caribbean schools. I do not want to face the same problem 4 years later.
So what should I do with my life?

p.s. I just wrote this while taking a short break from studying when I should be partying.

Members don't see this ad.

If all else fails, go to the Carribeans, just like what most SDN ppl here would say, most of here do not know the REAL HARD facts and its mostly postulation on the part of pre-meds.

If you study hard, do well on your Step 1. It doesnt matter which school you go to.
As long as you still have that desire and passion in you to be a doctor. Fight on!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
You should list your stat as well as your EC's for evaluation.

There must be a reason why you are not getting any interview invites.

If all else fails, go to the Carribeans, just like what most SDN ppl here would say, most of here do not know the REAL HARD facts and its mostly postulation on the part of pre-meds.

If you study hard, do well on your Step 1. It doesnt matter which school you go to.
As long as you still have that desire and passion in you to be a doctor. Fight on!!!

1 thing I am certain about is that I will never ever go to the caribbean. If I had been several years younger and did not experience all these rejections I might've. Maybe not just caribbean but a number of other offshore schools like israel, ireland, east europe,etc. Maybe even take a year to study a language and enroll in 1st year at a french school or something. But now I cannot do it. I have the stats to get into m.d. schools and I got rejected. That means that if I go to caribbean I can do well on step1 and get rejected or I can do poorly on step1 and get rejected. I am just too old now to go that route. And I am not qualified for any real work with my degree in biology.

I am sure you will be successful if you decided to go to the Carribeans because you good academically.

And if you apply now, you could start in August or Jan, and just take a short break from all of this.

It seems to me that if you spent all that money on an SMP you should try to get it another shot. If you don't get in this cycle and still have the energy to go one more, try to call one of the schools that rejected you and find out why your application was not accepted. These can always point out weak areas in your app that you weren't aware of (bad letter of rec etc.). If you do not have the energy (and I totally would understand if you didn't!), you can consider doing a PA, Podiatry, Optometry, NP etc. if you still want a career in the healthcare field. Best of luck!

P.s. I would have normally said the Carib is not a bad option either (my bro currently attends), but I don't think it will be a great option in a few years. If you're not comfortable doing that route and just want to move on with your life, then by all means do so!

Get into a PA program. I think the training lasts two years or so, and you can make 100 grand and have a reasonable amount of autonomy. You might be glad you don't have to drag your butt through 4 years of med school and god knows how many years of residency, and all of the debt.

Go west, young man, and become a PA. You will be glad that you did.

What's your undergrad GPA? MCAT score? SMP GPA? How were your letters? Any research/volunteering/clinical experience/shadowing?

this :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

If you want useful feedback, u need to provide data.

He wrote his stats but I think he edited that post. Dont know why.

Get into a PA program. I think the training lasts two years or so, and you can make 100 grand and have a reasonable amount of autonomy. You might be glad you don't have to drag your butt through 4 years of med school and god knows how many years of residency, and all of the debt.

Go west, young man, and become a PA. You will be glad that you did.
Somehow I doubt that you can just do 2years of postugrad schooling and make 100k. Maybe you get 100k after 20years of experience? I wouldn't want to be anybody's assistant anyway.