Career change, don't know if its even worth attempting

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oneke

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

First; great forum, tons of information, thanks to everyone who contributes and helps people like me.

Second; I am born and raised in California, 31 years old, married, have a young son, and am looking for a big change. I've wanted to be a doctor ever since I became an EMT and walked into the ED for the first time, however I also thought it was out of reach because I have such a low undergrad GPA. I am looking into post-bac programs to obtain the needed pre-reqs but I need to know if I even have a chance and should give up my current job to pursue this dream.

Here's some more information about me:

- Undergrad degree in Political Science in 2008: 2.2 gpa (I know. I did not try at all)
- Worked as an EMT and Reserve Firefighter for 3 years.
- Obtained a Master's degree from Boston University in 2014 with a 3.92 gpa in Healthcare Emergency Management
- Currently I am the Director of Emergency Services and EMS Administrator for a small California County.
- Have lots of volunteer experience ranging from Guide Dogs for the Blind (high school and college) to more recently being a high school lacrosse coach.

If I have a decent chance, my plan is to go to a post-bac school and get all of the pre-reqs taken care of, take the MCAT, and apply. I do not care what med school and I am not trying to be a brain surgeon.

I know I am a smart guy and can do very well, I just need to know if I should stop now, before I throw away what I currently have to go back to school.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

If you do well in a post bac and obtain a MCAT score of 508 or higher you would have a chance at a few MD schools and at least a few DO schools.

If you do well in a post bac and obtain a MCAT score of 508 or higher you would have a chance at a few MD schools and at least a few DO schools.

Thanks for your quick reply and feedback. What are the type of MD schools I would have a chance with if I am able to do well in post bac and get a 508 or better?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your quick reply and feedback. What are the type of MD schools I would have a chance with if I am able to do well in post bac and get a 508 or better?
Any new schools that open by 2020 (Roseman, Kaiser, NOVA MD, Seton Hall, etc.). Possibly Rosalind Franklin, Oakland Beaumont, Quinnipiac, New York Medical College, Drexel, Temple, Jefferson, Creighton, Loma Linda. A lot depends on your actual post bac GPA and actual MCAT score. DO schools will be much more likely.

Any new schools that open by 2020 (Roseman, Kaiser, NOVA MD, Seton Hall, etc.). Possibly Rosalind Franklin, Oakland Beaumont, Quinnipiac, New York Medical College, Drexel, Temple, Jefferson, Creighton, Loma Linda. A lot depends on your actual post bac GPA and actual MCAT score. DO schools will be much more likely.

What kind of GPA would be the minimum from post bac to give me a shot at a MD school? I'd be aiming for a 4.0 but that's easier said than done, especially with a 2 year old.

Hi All,

First; great forum, tons of information, thanks to everyone who contributes and helps people like me.

Second; I am born and raised in California, 31 years old, married, have a young son, and am looking for a big change. I've wanted to be a doctor ever since I became an EMT and walked into the ED for the first time, however I also thought it was out of reach because I have such a low undergrad GPA. I am looking into post-bac programs to obtain the needed pre-reqs but I need to know if I even have a chance and should give up my current job to pursue this dream.

Here's some more information about me:

- Undergrad degree in Political Science in 2008: 2.2 gpa (I know. I did not try at all)
- Worked as an EMT and Reserve Firefighter for 3 years.
- Obtained a Master's degree from Boston University in 2014 with a 3.92 gpa in Healthcare Emergency Management
- Currently I am the Director of Emergency Services and EMS Administrator for a small California County.
- Have lots of volunteer experience ranging from Guide Dogs for the Blind (high school and college) to more recently being a high school lacrosse coach.

If I have a decent chance, my plan is to go to a post-bac school and get all of the pre-reqs taken care of, take the MCAT, and apply. I do not care what med school and I am not trying to be a brain surgeon.

I know I am a smart guy and can do very well, I just need to know if I should stop now, before I throw away what I currently have to go back to school.

Thanks in advance!
Read this, and everything in the NonTrad forum by DrMidLife.