Is it worth applying.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nontrad1996

Reaction score
Hi y'all,
I am new to SDN and may be posting this in the wrong thread. I would like to know if y'all think i should take my shot this cycle.

Bio:
Male
South Asian
Tri-state

Stats
3.74 Undergraduate GPA
3.8+ Science GPA
Took Bio I, II, Chem I, II, Calc, Stats at my local state school, and used those to let my main institution, NYU, enroll me in the higher pre-reqs (Biochem, orgo, physics)
My Overall gpa might be 3.9 but I'm not sure tbh.

Mcat:
497(124/122/123/128) 500(125/124/125/126)

Work/activity
A lot of clinical work (paid and unpaid)
Shadowed both DO and MD
Volunteered and private practices
Just started working in research
I was on E board for some clubs.

Have not submitted primaries yet. Goal is to submit them asap for DO.

I've been told not to bother with MD

Question is,
Is it worth applying, i feel like everything is good except my mcat, but i studied for a long time and honestly i cannot bring myself to do it again.

(I have no preference for MD/DO), i care more about location

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Even for DO. The newest schools will be happy to accept you, because they just just want warm bodies to fill seats.
I will happily be a warm seat. I'm confused why new schools are not good?

brand new DO schools are to be avoided (unless it’s your only accept) until they at least graduate a class. It takes time for faculty to gel and deliver a coherent curriculum; they have limited clinical rotations sites [it takes time to build these!], the degree of oversight of clinical training will be weak; the schools are unlikely to have resources for struggling students or those with mental health needs; lastly their grads will be unknown products to residency program directors.

Reactions: 1 user
brand new DO schools are to be avoided (unless it’s your only accept) until they at least graduate a class. It takes time for faculty to gel and deliver a coherent curriculum; they have limited clinical rotations sites [it takes time to build these!], the degree of oversight of clinical training will be weak; the schools are unlikely to have resources for struggling students or those with mental health needs; lastly their grads will be unknown products to residency program directors.
But with my stats, is it worth giving it a shot?

You could receive interviews at some DO schools with a MCAT of 500. I suggest these schools:
PCOM (all schools)
LECOM (all schools)
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
MU-COM
VCOM (all 4 schools)
ACOM
WCU-COM
LMU-DCOM
UIWSOM
NYIT-AR
TUNCOM
You could also add these newer schools but the above are more preferable:
Noorda-COM
Touro-Montana
RVU-Montana
ICOM
BCOM
ARCOM
KHSC-COM
BUCOM
LUCOM
Orlando (when it opens)
Most of these schools have MCAT medians in the 498 to 502 range so you should receive several interviews.

Work/activity
A lot of clinical work (paid and unpaid)
Shadowed both DO and MD
Volunteered and private practices
Just started working in research
I was on E board for some clubs
It would be nice to know the details. Your MCAT did you no favors but you won't get anywhere without mission fit.

Reactions: 1 users
You could receive interviews at some DO schools with a MCAT of 500. I suggest these schools:
PCOM (all schools)
LECOM (all schools)
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
MU-COM
VCOM (all 4 schools)
ACOM
WCU-COM
LMU-DCOM
UIWSOM
NYIT-AR
TUNCOM
You could also add these newer schools but the above are more preferable:
Noorda-COM
Touro-Montana
RVU-Montana
ICOM
BCOM
ARCOM
KHSC-COM
BUCOM
LUCOM
Orlando (when it opens)
Most of these schools have MCAT medians in the 498 to 502 range so you should receive several interviews.
It would be nice to know the details. Your MCAT did you no favors but you won't get anywhere without mission fit.
What do you mean by mission fit? Like why medicine?

What do you mean by mission fit? Like why medicine?
Did you read the link provided by @Mr.Smile12 ? The article does a very good job explaining mission fit. Your activities done in undergrad and after will help schools to see if your vision of your place in medicine and society and view of a school’s mission are connected. You have shared no indication of any nonclinical volunteering. So we have no way to know if you have any kind of a mission fit with any schools on your list.
Be aware that you are a three time test taker. Many schools will average your multiple scores.

Reactions: 2 users
Did you read the link provided by @Mr.Smile12 ? The article does a very good job explaining mission fit. Your activities done in undergrad and after will help schools to see if your vision of your place in medicine and society and view of a school’s mission are connected. You have shared no indication of any nonclinical volunteering. So we have no way to know if you have any kind of a mission fit with any schools on your list.
Be aware that you are a three time test taker. Many schools will average your multiple scores.
Just 2 MCAT scores.

Ohhhh, i thought it was a spam link. My volunteering has all been in underserved areas in queens.
Just 2 MCAT scores.
I was gonna say that, but i felt that they didnt read my post fully.

Ohhhh, i thought it was a spam link. My volunteering has all been in underserved areas in queens.

I was gonna say that, but i felt that they didnt read my post fully.
MrSmile.12 is one of the posters on WAMC threads who has professional experience advising.