Career change from pharmacy to dentistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

FlyFishBoy

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Are there any practicing dentists or any current dental students who have switched their career from pharmacy to dentistry?
I am a practicing pharmacist for the last 3 years and am not satisfied with my career choice. What it comes down to is that I ultimately want to be involved in direct patient care and though there are rare opportunities in the world of pharmacy for such an experience, they are just that-rare. One of my best friends is a DDS and I have shadowed him and upon leaving his practice I know that Dentistry is what I want to do, but I am very hesitant dragging my family through 4 years of schooling and incurring more school debt in addition to the 60K I will have left over from pharmacy school. However, I have interviewed many practicing dentists and NOT one of them said not to do it and so for none of them say they don't like what they do.
For those pharmacists that have switched to dentistry:
-Why did you decide to change?
-Do you feel it is worth it and would you do it again?
-How did you prepare for the DAT?
-Have you had any problems getting financial aid?
Any other further insights or advice would be greatly appreciated.
 
I am a practicing pharmacist for the last 3 years and am not satisfied with my career choice. What it comes down to is that I ultimately want to be involved in direct patient care and though there are rare opportunities in the world of pharmacy for such an experience, they are just that-rare. One of my best friends is a DDS and I have shadowed him and upon leaving his practice I know that Dentistry is what I want to do, but I am very hesitant dragging my family through 4 years of schooling and incurring more school debt in addition to the 60K I will have left over from pharmacy school.
-Why did you decide to change?
-Do you feel it is worth it and would you do it again?
-How did you prepare for the DAT?
-Have you had any problems getting financial aid?
Any other further insights or advice would be greatly appreciated.


It does not sounds like you have convinced yourself that you want to make the switch. It is clear that you are not happy with your present status and are actively seeking a second mistress. You should have your own reasons for switching and they should not be dependent on reasons others have had. As for #2- only you can be the judge, and who knows, you may decide to purse a career in law after you are done with dentistry. You prepare for the DAT pretty much the same way you prepared for the PCAT... hit the books.
 
My dad actually did that. Back in the mid 70's he went to Pharm school, graduated and hated it. He went to Dental School and feels he couldnt have made a better choice in his life. That is the reason I chose Dentistry as well. I say go for it. Good luck
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
flyfish,

can I ask how old u are and how long you've been a pharmacist? any student debt? does your wife support your career change? does your wife also have a good job (is she a pharmacist)? how old are your kids? are you willing to move wherever you may get into dental school?

let us know, so we can offer more constructive advice.
 
flyfish,

can I ask how old u are and how long you've been a pharmacist? any student debt? does your wife support your career change? does your wife also have a good job (is she a pharmacist)? how old are your kids? are you willing to move wherever you may get into dental school?

let us know, so we can offer more constructive advice.
Thanks for your interest DocJL!
I am 31 and have been practicing pharmacy for ~2.5 yrs and once my loan repayment contract is complete in 2013 (which is when I anticipate getting into dental school) I will have ~60K remaining from pharmacy school.
My wife is a stay at home mom who supports me but with concerns about day-to-day living expenses if I go back to school.
We have two children: 5 yrs & 21 months
I am willing to move to wherever I have too, but ideally to areas with a lower cost of tuition.
 
Are there any practicing dentists or any current dental students who have switched their career from pharmacy to dentistry?
I am a practicing pharmacist for the last 3 years and am not satisfied with my career choice. What it comes down to is that I ultimately want to be involved in direct patient care and though there are rare opportunities in the world of pharmacy for such an experience, they are just that-rare. One of my best friends is a DDS and I have shadowed him and upon leaving his practice I know that Dentistry is what I want to do, but I am very hesitant dragging my family through 4 years of schooling and incurring more school debt in addition to the 60K I will have left over from pharmacy school. However, I have interviewed many practicing dentists and NOT one of them said not to do it and so for none of them say they don't like what they do.
For those pharmacists that have switched to dentistry:
-Why did you decide to change?
-Do you feel it is worth it and would you do it again?
-How did you prepare for the DAT?
-Have you had any problems getting financial aid?
Any other further insights or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Yes, serveral of my friends have done this. One is now a periodontist outside of Chicago - dental school then perio - then teach part-time and practice - now full time practice (got frustrated with school politics). Another did pharm the OM and military - then taught - now hospital practice and teaching near DC. There are several other cases I know of at Penn and Maryland
 
Flyfish,

Sounds like Dr. Arm was able to give you a definitive answer, I assume he has seen alot more of this since he is in academics/ teaching.

We had alot of 2nd career students in my dental school, but I had never personally heard of a pharmacist going into dentistry.

It sounds like you have a good understanding of what the practice of dentistry involves, thanks to shadowing your friend. Hopefully you've spent enough time with him that it doesn't just seem like an always easy and fun job with appreciative patients. Most days I LIKE my job, many days I LOVE my job, and some days, I HATE my job. I will say that pharmacy always seemed like a pretty good job (from an outside observation), I've never heard anybody say, "I hate the pharmacist", the same cannot be said for us dentists😉.

Probably one of the biggest factors you have to weigh is the opportunity cost of going back to school (this is why I was curious about your age and years in practice). What this means is that if 4 years of dental school cost you, say, $250k (probably a fair estimate, especially adding in costs of buying instruments, taking boards, etc, on top of tuition, books, and the list goes on). Add to that the missed income for 4 years as a pharmacist (and you guys are paid pretty well from what I hear). Also consider how much you would make that 4 years as a pharmacist, IF you worked as hard as you will in dental school (cause I'm sure you've heard dental school is no cakewalk). Lets say you could make $125k a year as a busy pharmacist, perhaps putting in some overtime. so $500k, plus $250k.

When you graduate with that shiny new DDS, it will have cost you roughly $750k. Sure you might be able to work part time as a pharmacist while in school, but I think you will find dental school and the required study do not leave alot of time for part time jobs. The few guys in my class who worked more than a few hours a week paid for it with their grades.

Now, if you are happier as a dentist, it will be worth it. if it takes you a couple of years to get in lets say you graduate at 38 (or even 40), you will certainly more than make up the difference in salary as you will have another 20+ years for a career in dentistry, but pay in dentistry varies widely on many factors, especially based on where you practice. a new DDS in coastal SoCal might make less than a pharmacist.

Good luck in whatever you choose, and keep us posted on the forums!