Career Change Post-Bacc Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jim Lokersky

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
[]

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
1.Formal vs. DIY?

I've seen so many threads on this, is it worth going to a formal program, especially considering the price-tag? I.E are the Bryn Mawr/Goucher formalized programs of the world worth the extra 25k?

The benefits of a formal program is that you'll get advising and ideally, some MCAT prep as well

2. CS vs IB

I'm currently holding a job offer in Investment Banking. I'm considering turning it down and working as a developer, since it would give me additional time to work as a scribe/accumulate volunteering throughout the year (I essentially work from 9am to 2am consistently in IB - 80+ hour weeks are the norm - and don't have weekends off, so it is very difficult to find time to do those). If I stayed in IB, I would have to cram all of these experiences from December - May (after I graduate but before I start my role). I know career-changing programs generally prefer those who have achieved success in their respective fields, would working as a developer and volunteering until August be seen more favorably than staying in IB and cramming everything in during spring?

Hard to advise here. Just remember that you're in a marathon now, not a sprint, and med schools aren't going anywhere. Perhaps consider just working, saving up money and then switching careers to one that is more time-friendly to allow you to get the ECs out of the way?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
M4, former Ivy grad, good test taker/gmat survivor, and formal postbac alum. It’s hard to break from the prestige/treadmill mentallity and really distill your goals. I would say that you should ensure you have time in whatever job you take to commit to your longterm goals. Definitely pm with specific questions! Medicine may not be as financially lucrative as Ibanking, but from my perspective, the daily impact you make, the incredible people you work with, and the intellectual curiosity you engage in daily make it an amazing career. PM me for more!

By the way, if that is your real name, suggest changing it for anonymity's sake.

It is not my real name, and really appreciate the insights in your previous response! It's unbelievably valuable to hear from someone with experience in the field.

Reactions: 1 user
Here’s the good news: you have a high GPA and a history of high achievement on standardized tests. This bodes well both for your postbac and mcat. Formal vs DIY comes down to time vs money. If you want to get an application ready as quickly as possible then it’s hard to beat the formal route. The downside is it will be significantly more expensive and if you are financing through loans, those loans will accrue interesting during medical school and residency. If you want to work and take classes, the DIY route will be the most flexible and allow you to save money to offset the costs of medical school down the line. It just depends on what is most important to you. As for CS vs IB, if you want to be ready to apply as soon as possible go for CS since you’ll need to start getting hours. If you’re willing to take some additional time, stick with IB and incorporate volunteering and shadowing over the next two years m.