Career change to PT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tono38

Reaction score
Hello all,

Hope everyone is doing well. Please allow me to introduce myself. My name is Tony from Chicago, IL, I am an experienced accountant (non-CPA), and I am 38 years old. I am reaching out with good intentions. I stumbled across this forum as I randomly searched Google for PT related topics. I am posting this thread because I am asking for some insight or guidance into a possible career change to PT.

Here is a snapshot about me: I obtained my Bachelor of Science in Commerce with a major in accounting in 2010 from a well-known school in Chicago, minor in MIS for enough hour to take the CPA exam. Later part of 2012, I landed an entry-level staff accountant role with a small junior college. I struggled a lot for 2 years to find entry-level work. I was employed there for 3 years. The job was ok, but no room for growth or to expand my accounting knowledge. So, I decided to purse an auditing role with a big accounting firm in Chicago. The work was interesting, and the people were a bit nicer than the community college, but after 1.5 years I was let go. I was crushed, and really questioning if accounting was for me! Several months later, I landed a position with a small local municipality. This job, by far has been the worst! The culture is toxic, my boss yells and curses, I never worked from home during COVID; we reported to City Hall daily! Overall, the people there really dislike their jobs, and I loathe going in to work because I always get lectured and feel like I’m in the principal’s office every morning. I have worked 3 years for this municipality. Why have I stayed, may you ask? I was helping my mom with my chronically ill bother. The job is close to home, and I had the flexibility to assist with hospital stays and other medical needs. He unfortunately passed in June 2021 from his chronic illness. He was 33 y/o. And I am still trying to process his passing. Honestly, I have stopped pursuing the CPA; last time I studied was in 2018. This job has made me loose interest in accounting, and I constantly question myself what I should do next! I feel unfulfilled in accounting; I am crunching meaningless numbers without any gratification. And I am CHAINED to my desk for 8 + hours. I want to purse PT because I enjoy exercise and find it interesting how it aids with healing an injury, I would enjoy the autonomy, and I would have great job security (21% growth per BLS). Additionally, I have had PT sessions for low back issues, and I have found it helpful for my issue. Most importantly, I would feel like I am making a difference as PT has made a difference for me.

However, I have incurred 60k in undergraduate loans; which I am still paying. I have zero pre-requisites completed. It would take 1 year to fulfill those pre-requisites at my local community college; going full-time. The least expensive PT school in my area is 78k, but we all know tuition increases annually. I have some savings but I was planning to utilize those funds to purchase a home.

All that said, would I be insane to pursue PT at 38? Are you personally fulfilled with your PT career? And do you feel your are making a comfortable living? It would suck to return to the "broke college" student life for 3 + years, and incur 78k + of debt.

I thank you in advance. And apologize if my story was too long winded.

Regards,

Tony

Members don't see this ad.

Is PT for you? Maybe, but no real way of knowing yet. First, it sounds like you just need a new job. That could solve your issues without an expensive career change. Second, if PT is something you really want to consider, get some shadowing hours in, not for the application but for your own knowledge of confirming what a day as a PT is really like. You might be disheartened to find out how much BS is in any job, and in PT, that is meeting productivity requirements, tons of documentation, fighting insurance, etc. You should also look at other careers with a lower bar to entry. The reason the PT essay is some form of why do you want to be a PT is that the generic "I want to help people "can apply to dozens of careers. Look at nursing. Look at personal training. Look at massage. Look at occupational therapy, etc. Then you should also start taking some prereqs. Maybe you'll find you hate science, so then PT is not going to be for you. On the practical side, let's assume you start taking pre-reqs now and apply in a few years. No guarantee you'll get in on your first try, especially not to the school close to you. You'll probably be about 41 when you start, 44 when you finish. Think of the total debt you'll take on, from pre-reqs to not working during PT school and living expenses. Debt should never be taken on lightly.

PT is a great career, but you simply cannot yet know if it is for you, and taking on debt at any age is a big deal. Make the change in job first and possibly start taking small steps towards PT. I also recommend talking to a therapist to help sort out feelings about your job and your goals.

Reactions: 2 users
It’s only insane if you really don’t want to do it. I’m 33 and pursing it, and I’ve met others who are around my age, or older, that are too. It’s about how much you really want it that matters. Having debt is so common now, I have some too already and know I’ll have more, but don’t let that be the deciding factor for you.

Really shadow some PTs, get into the field, and really see if it’s a career for you or not before going into it. Age is just a number, you’re only limited to what you believe.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello all,

Hope everyone is doing well. Please allow me to introduce myself. My name is Tony from Chicago, IL, I am an experienced accountant (non-CPA), and I am 38 years old. I am reaching out with good intentions. I stumbled across this forum as I randomly searched Google for PT related topics. I am posting this thread because I am asking for some insight or guidance into a possible career change to PT.

Here is a snapshot about me: I obtained my Bachelor of Science in Commerce with a major in accounting in 2010 from a well-known school in Chicago, minor in MIS for enough hour to take the CPA exam. Later part of 2012, I landed an entry-level staff accountant role with a small junior college. I struggled a lot for 2 years to find entry-level work. I was employed there for 3 years. The job was ok, but no room for growth or to expand my accounting knowledge. So, I decided to purse an auditing role with a big accounting firm in Chicago. The work was interesting, and the people were a bit nicer than the community college, but after 1.5 years I was let go. I was crushed, and really questioning if accounting was for me! Several months later, I landed a position with a small local municipality. This job, by far has been the worst! The culture is toxic, my boss yells and curses, I never worked from home during COVID; we reported to City Hall daily! Overall, the people there really dislike their jobs, and I loathe going in to work because I always get lectured and feel like I’m in the principal’s office every morning. I have worked 3 years for this municipality. Why have I stayed, may you ask? I was helping my mom with my chronically ill bother. The job is close to home, and I had the flexibility to assist with hospital stays and other medical needs. He unfortunately passed in June 2021 from his chronic illness. He was 33 y/o. And I am still trying to process his passing. Honestly, I have stopped pursuing the CPA; last time I studied was in 2018. This job has made me loose interest in accounting, and I constantly question myself what I should do next! I feel unfulfilled in accounting; I am crunching meaningless numbers without any gratification. And I am CHAINED to my desk for 8 + hours. I want to purse PT because I enjoy exercise and find it interesting how it aids with healing an injury, I would enjoy the autonomy, and I would have great job security (21% growth per BLS). Additionally, I have had PT sessions for low back issues, and I have found it helpful for my issue. Most importantly, I would feel like I am making a difference as PT has made a difference for me.

However, I have incurred 60k in undergraduate loans; which I am still paying. I have zero pre-requisites completed. It would take 1 year to fulfill those pre-requisites at my local community college; going full-time. The least expensive PT school in my area is 78k, but we all know tuition increases annually. I have some savings but I was planning to utilize those funds to purchase a home.

All that said, would I be insane to pursue PT at 38? Are you personally fulfilled with your PT career? And do you feel your are making a comfortable living? It would suck to return to the "broke college" student life for 3 + years, and incur 78k + of debt.

Regards,

Tony
Average GPA that PT schools require must be above 3.0. Consider this before/during taking pre-reques.
Your age only matters in your personal life context: If you are planning to work until you are 70, you will have decades to work as a PT. If you want to retire at 50, it may not worth changing careers now. My oldest classmate was in her middle 40s.
I am very much fulfilled with my PT career. The job is super easy, enjoyable, rewarding, and no stress! But perception varies from person to person, of course.
I am making comfortable living and very satisfied financially. I don't have high standards, but I do have comfortable life that I want.
Good luck!

Hello all,

Regards,

Tony
I finished my DPT degree at 40, so I appreciate the heavy decision that this is. I was also coming from a job that became toxic and wasn't really qualified to do anything that I was passionate about. Now, I LOVE what I do, and incurred a massive amount of debt to feel this way. It is a serious choice. I am not getting rich but I am comfortable. I live fairly simply, no children and zero plans to have them.

You have to get shadow hours in for admittance to school, so you may as well reach out to a local PT and get them in, to see if you actually do want to do this. Other similar areas that are not nearly as time-consuming or expensive - look at PTA (not sure on the future of PTA, I've seen mixed thoughts), personal training, massage therapy, (personal training + massage was something I considered for a long time), and other areas of health care with less expensive entry points if you prefer the medical model, such as nursing.

For me - LOVING my job and not working in a toxic environment made it all worth it. It is different for everyone.

Feel free to PM if you want to just talk through options.

Also - I am very sorry to hear about your brother.

Katherine