Career changer post bacc chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prospectives

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm new to SDN as I am just starting a career change to medicine. I'm currently applying to formal post-bacc programs and I am wondering about my chances of getting in. I'm also weighing it against the option of doing a DIY post-bacc at a local state school. I would prefer to complete the prereqs in one year starting 2021.

I graduated in May with a cumulative uGPA of 3.75. My main concern is that I lack volunteering/shadowing hours. I was involved in extracurriculars in college, but I have no medical-related experience and it is difficult to find any right now. I enrolled in an EMT course with plans of volunteering as an EMT, but I don't know of any other ways to get clinical exposure.

Any advice on applying to career changer post-baccs or recommendations for programs to apply to? Would also appreciate any tips on getting medical experience during COVID.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'd like to know more about how to get medical experience during COVID as well.

Reactions: 1 user
I think you will have no issues getting into a formal career change program. I went to a decent program with a GPA lower than yours.

Most people don't have shadowing or medical volunteering, one of the points of a career change program is to get you those hours.

Members don't see this ad :)
You shouldn't have issues getting into a formal Post-Bacc - I applied with a similar GPA and no clinical experience and got into several formal post-bacc programs (some with linkages). Ultimately I ended up transferring out from my formal post-bacc to a DIY state school to save money and have more of a university experience so I could take advantage of their research clubs and pre-med clubs. I would try to look at the course offerings at your local state school and see if your one year timeline matches up with the way they sequence their classes. Idk what classes you need but depending on the school sometimes they don't offer what you need in the summer or something like that. I'm still trying to get more experience with COVID too :shrug:
Feel free to message me if you have more questions about post-bacc vs DIY.

Reactions: 2 users
I had a 3.4, worked in pharma for 9 years prior to med school. Went to LECOM. Ended up at Hopkins, it can happen

Without having any of the prereqs completed and wanting to get them done in one year, your best bet will be at the career change program as a full time student. You have a high UG GPA so an admission shouldn’t be a problem. However, it will come at a cost.

As others have mentioned, a lack of hours shouldn’t be much of an impediment, especially with your timeframe due to the pandemic.

Your best bet for hours will be through paid employment. In many areas, the liability associated with volunteers isn’t worth the risk for medical facilities. I don’t anticipate this to change in the near term and will likely extend well into 2021. Look for positions as temperature screeners, scribes, and clinical research coordinators.

You say career-changer but you graduated in May? Do you mean you majored in the non-sciences?

Either way, you're going into pre-reqs with a strong GPA. Keep that up, get your clinical experience (lots of ways to do this, research via SDN, articles, and your school's pre-med advising office), do well on MCAT, and you'll be fine. Lots of people do it the way you're doing it, and a unique undergrad will be a plus on apps.

Bit of advice based on personal experience: Unless you're paying out of pocket, apply as a second-degree seeking student to get the prereq's. This will allow you to qualify for loans and more flexibility in your schedule. Formal post-bacc's are more useful to those with low GPA's. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users