Career Changer - Post Bacc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctor2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently pursuing a masters in Electrical Engineering from a top rated school (ranked between 10-20 overall, just below the Ivy Leagues.) I am looking for a career changer program after the completion of my masters. I would like to know the best post bacc programs for this. Please tell me the possibility of getting in and the best ranked programs. My grades are decent.
My second question is that I have not taken an English course during my college years, but I did take writing intensive courses (i.e. Business, with papers due each week, classified as a writing intensive course.) Will I still need to take English courses in the English Department?
I am thinking about applying to 15 schools, which 15 are the best? What are the best options for career changers? Should I start doing any extra curricular activities?

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently pursuing a masters in Electrical Engineering from a top rated school (ranked between 10-20 overall, just below the Ivy Leagues.) I am looking for a career changer program after the completion of my masters. I would like to know the best post bacc programs for this. Please tell me the possibility of getting in and the best ranked programs. My grades are decent.

For more info on possible post bac look into this forum: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=114425

My second question is that I have not taken an English course during my college years, but I did take writing intensive courses (i.e. Business, with papers due each week, classified as a writing intensive course.) Will I still need to take English courses in the English Department?

You probably don't have to because as part of the graduation requirement for your undergrad you probably took 2 lower div and one upper division english class.

I am thinking about applying to 15 schools, which 15 are the best?

Are you refering to post-bac program or med school ?? For post bac look at the link above.

What are the best options for career changers? Should I start doing any extra curricular activities?
Probably do a formal post bac with med school linkage. Extra curricular is highly recommended but it is not required - because I know some people who got in to top med school without stepping in a hospital or medical research.

There's plenty of info already posted on this forum about the best postbac programs for those who need the prerequisites; no need to repeat it all here.

But I will offer that not pursuing extracurricular ideas is a bad idea. I wouldn't be surprised if, as globaltrader says, there are a few medical students around that didn't have them, but these individuals may have extenuating circumstances -- perhaps legacy at the med school or astronomical grades and MCAT scores. I myself do not know any medical students who were accepted without ECs.

Probably do a formal post bac with med school linkage. Extra curricular is highly recommended but it is not required - because I know some people who got in to top med school without stepping in a hospital or medical research.

There are some people who didn't get in without research, but at a lot of schools, including the one I'm currently attending, those applicants without volunteer experience are not considered for admission under any circumstances.